Let me ask you a question as easy as ABC but the point is you have to answer it with appropriate evidence and proof . So here we go .....
Who is the Prime Minister of India ?
Its seems to be a Kindergarten Level question . Isn't it! . But the tough nut to crack is you have to provide adequate evidence for the same . Most of us are not fortunate enough to personally meet Mr Modi Or visit 7RCR . So from where did we came to know that Alia Bhat Is not Prime Minister but the Prime Minister of India is Shri Narendra Modi .........
May be from TV ,Radio , Newspapers, Magazine , Internet and so on....In one word MEDIA .
The Crux is without media we are not even capable enough to know the name of our premier
The Great Indian Media is the fourth pillar of worlds largest democracy . But the question is whether this fourth pillar is strong enough to balance and provide foundation for a magnificent Democratic set up . We all may have different opinions & perceptions about credibility of Media .For the real Litmus test let we proceed to World press freedom Index 2017 Report published by most renowned Reporters without borders . India is ranked 136 in the World Press Freedom Index, three points down from last year. Following were the remarks from Reporters without borders --
Threat from Modi’s nationalism
With Hindu nationalists trying to purge all manifestations of “anti-national” thought from the national debate, self-censorship is growing in the mainstream media. Journalists are increasingly the targets of online smear campaigns by the most radical nationalists, who vilify them and even threaten physical reprisals. Prosecutions are also used to gag journalists who are overly critical of the government, with some prosecutors invoking Section 124a of the penal code, under which “sedition” is punishable by life imprisonment. No journalist has so far been convicted of sedition but the threat encourages self-censorship. The government has also introduced new foreign funding regulations to limit international influence. .
Concentration of Media Ownership in India
Open a link along side this blog and ask Mr. Google Baba about Media ownership and for sure there will be hundreds of articles alleging about Media ownership and there links with different political parties & Dirty Political campaigns . Some of most credible points are mentioned below .
- Recently Dr Subash Chandra Chairmen of Essel Group & Zee News (there are 50+ channels of Zee Group) was elected as member of Rajya Sabha from Haryana via support of BJP .
- Shobhna Bhartia, owner and editor-in-chief of Hindustan Times is a Congress MP from Rajya Sabha.
- HT media is runs by Shobna Bhartiy with her two sons Priyavrat & Shamit Bhartia. Intresting fact here is to note is Shamit Bhartia wife Nayantara Kothari is a niece of Anil and Mukesh Ambani.
- Kalaignar TV is owned by Tamil Nadu's former Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.
- Sakshi TV a Telugu channel in Andhra Pradesh is owned by ex-chief minister's son and family.
- News24 Hindi media channel Owned by ex-journalist and editor Rajiv Shukla, famous Congress MP in Rajya Sabha, Union minister, industrialist, BCCI vice president and IPL chairman.
- Times Of India, Mid-Day, Nav-Bharat Times, Stardust, Femina, Vijay Times, Vijaya Karnataka, Times Now (24- hour news channel) and many more...
- Times Group is owned by Bennet & Coleman. 'World Christian Council' does 80 percent of the Funding, and an Englishman and an Italian equally share balance 20 percent. The Italian Robertio Mindo is a close relative of Sonia Gandhi.
- NDTV: A very popular TV news media is funded by Gospels of Charity in Spain Supports Communism. Recently it has developed a soft corner towards Pakistan because Pakistan President has allowed only this channel to be aired in Pakistan. Indian CEO Prannoy Roy is co-brother of Prakash Karat, General Secretary of the Communist party of India . His wife and Brinda Karat are sisters.
- India News (Information Tv Pvt. Ltd.) : Information Tv. Pvt.Ltd. runs a media brand called India news & news x. It is owned by Mark buildtech and Omkareshwar property’s, Where owner of the Mark buildtech is Kartikay Sharma who is a son of former congress politician Vinod sharma and brother of Manu Sharma ( Who was Involved in Jesicca lal murder case) and Omkareshwar property belongs to Bhupender Shingh Hooda (Former congress CM of Hariyana ) and his son Deependar Singh Hooda.
A detailed report Regarding Ownership of Media and there connection with business tycoons and politicians was published by Newslaundry in Report Who owns your media?
Also Recommended to Read - TRAI set to regulate corporate control of media (THE Hindu)
#Paid_News . Indian Media on Sale
Paid news is a phenomenon in Indian media, that refers to the systematic engagement of mainstream media outlets in publishing favorable articles in exchange for payment.. This type of news is typically sponsored by politicians, businessmen, and celebrities in order to improve their public image or accomplish political goals.
You may have herd about Dons & Mafia's who demands ransom to forgive your life . But here The Media'n Mafia also demands mighty sums to stop character assignation of celebrated creatures . Indian media Houses often blackmail famous personalities & celebs some of cases are as follow
- In 2012 senior editors of the television channel Zee News were arrested for allegedly demanding Rs 100 crore from Jindal Power and Steel Ltd. In return for this pay-off they offered to dilute their network’s campaign against the company in the coal scam. The blackmail was exposed when JSPL chairman and Congress MP Naveen Jindal conducted a reverse sting on the network’s executives.
- Bennett, Coleman and Co. Ltd, which owns the Times of India, is reported to have asked celebrities and the wealthy to pay for favorable coverage. They have offered a "private treaty" agreement, which accepts an equity stake in a company in return for favorable coverage. The New York Times described "private treaties" as an example of the commodification of business news. A New Yorker article says that the Times of India "have been dismantling the wall between the newsroom and the sales department" with Times MediaNet.
- Deepak Chaurasia, host of India News, is accused of being a promoter of paid news in India.
As per official statistical report of Election Commission of India more than 3100 notices were issued in alleged case of Paid news and about 787 were confirmed .(by May 2014)
Advertising and Media
Here I would like to put forward an astonishing fact and perhaps you will be jolted after reading it .
If we statistically estimate aggregate/sum total of world spendings (including both govt and private expenditure) on different sectors than -
As expected spending upon defense , arms and weapons is at top . Approx 1.57 trillion
You will guess health or education at 2nd place but my dear friend you are certainly incorrect .Global Spending upon advertisements ranks 2nd which is a bit higher than lay out on Health & Education .
Just look around advertisements are at every nook and cranny . While operating Mobile apps you see advertisements . On internet advertisements are always there . If you are too a part of typical Indian family than probability is quite high that while you are reading this blog your mum or pop will scold you out for always remain sticked to cellphone .Being an obedient Indian you may open book to react that you are studying but pause for a second have you noticed most of books and magazines are too full of advertisements .
I dont know why they call a Newspaper as Newspaper .If We can rename Bombay to Mumbai , 7RCR to 7 Lok Kalyan Marg with out any solid reason .than shouldn't we rename Newspaper to advertisement paper because approx 60% of space is given to advertisements and rest to paid news and if than also some space left than that it is for hate story of Mohammad Shami , Love story of Virat and Romance of Ram Raheem & Honeypreet .the scenario is quite similar among News channels of television. I don't know why they keep telecasting SAAS BAHU AND SAJISH .I think in hot Indian summer noon due to high temperature there mind doesn't function properly therefore they become insane and forgot that they are news channels not Entertainment ones . By the way news had also become a sort of entertainment these days .
Ok so we were talking about advertisements our television Channels too can't compromise without
showing advertisements and yes TV advertisements are very interesting . God of Cricket Sachin Tendulkar will come and request you to purchase pen,pencils LEDs , Fans and inverter batteries . Beauty Queen Hema Malini will emphasis you to purchase water purifiers RO .Rising star Virat Kohli will sold you tyres and captain cool Dhoni will plea you to buy engine Oil ...........Height of Hypocrisy ..........
Walking is good for health ! move out from your sweet abode and enjoy the creativity of advertisements shown on bill boards . Let me remind you some of them .The picture of Justin Bieber at local Barber shop who cuts hair for RS 10 , Photograph of Salman Bhai and Kajol at Juice stall of sugarcane .
So the nucleus is every time , every where we remain surrounded by advertisements and they often cause deep impressions on your sub - conscious mind which will insist you to purchase particular products even if they are not of our use and hence promoting consumerism . You know Mukesh Ambani is Mukesh and Mark Zukerberg is Mark Zukerberg because of us We The People the day when we will stop using Reliance services and Facebook they too will become Nirav modi and Vijay Mallya .Consumers are very powerful but we don't know our potential .Consumer behave like dummy puppets because of the brain wash done by black magic of luring advertisements .
The Sole purpose of Media houses is not to publish genuine news and stories but to increase TRP to attract companies for Advertisements and hence genrating revenues and all together there only aim is profit maximisation rather than social awareness .
Journalists and Media men get there livelihood from advertisements of MNCs indirectly they depend on MNCs for there survival . Than it is obvious they will favor there business clients .Here is case study for you ,
- Have you ever thought how a Newspaper with large pages , colored print , consist of latest news , with expensive articles of world famous authors and home delivery costs us just Rs 5 - 10 .How ? a A big question Mark ?
- How newspaper agencies afford to provide such an expensive piece of paper for almost free not only Newspaper firms but TV channels also at minimal cost of approx Rs 250 . You can see Movies made by celebrated artists . News debates there analysis by wise Anchors and a hidden team of 1000s of members .If you are a cricket fan than why to go stadium and pay kilos of money just switch on your TV and enjoy HD quality Live Show .
- We all know the answer is They earn there profit from advertisements . Than the question arise is whom should Media be accountable to ,we Kanjooos people OR to business tycoons who fed there families .
- In the latest IRS report, Dainik Jagran and Times of India have retained top slots among Hindi and English dailies respectively. Dainik Jagran has a total readership (last month) of 7,03,77,000 while The Times of India has a total readership of 1,30,47,000.
- Hence Approximately a front page advertisement in above two newspaper on a normal day with all external factors as average will cost you 2-5 Crore INR .
- Similarly on a popular channel like Aaj Tak , Star Plus , Star Sports at prime time (generally around 8-10pm) a Commercial ad of 10secs costs around 15-25 lakh Rupees . And suppose if election results are to be declare or there is any world cup or Olympics or a new movie telecasted for first time on TV than amount per 10 secs may reach to 40-50 lacs.
- Today , What we eat ? What we drink ? What we study ?where will we do jobs ? where we reside ? which party will come in power ? Govt policies etc are directly or indirectly decided by Businessmens and remember media is there Brhamastra . Henceforth for a bright future There is an urgent need to stop this dark era of crony capitalism .
Two more issues mentioned below will be addressed and analysed very soon
Brick wall between Citizens and news publishing house
Promotion of Violence , westernism and Nudity by Media