News Ticker
balaraghavan

validity of Indian Postal Order

balaraghavan

I filed an RTI and was returned because the validity of the Indian Postal Order is 6 months and my IPO being more than 6 months old the PIO had returned the same on this ground. In this regard, i sought clarification from the Postmaster of Karaikal and he gave a Gazette Notification of India dated 09.11.1995 about the amendment that the IPO is valid for two (2) years without second commission. After the payment second commission, the IPO is valid for another one year total validity of 36 months.

Prasad GLN

There is an excellent thread on entire Indian Postal Order issue, encashment and rules contributed by Hon.CJ Karira. Search threads and excerpts of P & T rules and regulations on postal orders.

File First Appeal enclosing copy of notification stating Grounds for Appeal: Denied information without any reasonable ground of invalidity of Postal order, though the postal order is valid.

Prayer: Appellant prays for directions to PIO for providing of information free of cost and for expressing regrets to the appellant for providing incorrect and misleading information on validity of IPO, though he is working in the dept., and knows rules and regulations, and had the opportunity of cross checking and verifying the rules in force.

Priya De
I filed an RTI and was returned because the validity of the Indian Postal Order is 6 months and my IPO being more than 6 months old the PIO had returned the same on this ground. In this regard, i sought clarification from the Postmaster of Karaikal and he gave a Gazette Notification of India dated 09.11.1995 about the amendment that the IPO is valid for two (2) years without second commission. After the payment second commission, the IPO is valid for another one year total validity of 36 months.

Thanks for sharing this info. So the validity is for 2 years and with extra commission another more year, total of 3 years.

Can you please upload that order you got from postmaster? I think it is mentioned over national concerns blog, but an order shall benefit many in quoting it in their cases. Details from the blog-

The IPO is valid for a period of 2 years.

The IPO can be renewed beyond this period of 2 Years, for an additional 1 Year, by paying the commission amount. If an Indian Postal Order is not presented for payment within two years from the last day of the month of issue a second commission at the rates prescribed will be charged which must be paid in postage stamps affixed to the back of the order. Those authorized to use them may pay the second commission in Service Postage Stamps.

Indian Postal Orders presented for payment more than 36 months after the last days of the month of issue will not be paid but will be forfeited.

Read more: http://www.nationalconcerns.com/blog/1/entry-10-what-is-indian-postal-order/#ixzz2kfo7Hj1I

balaraghavan

i am attaching the letters, documents and Gazette Notification.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Prasad GLN

It is not clear as to whether PIO has provided information or returned RTI Application, as PIO in the enclosure has mentioned that information was provided but applicant writes to Postal dept., that application was returned. (DOPT circular states that PIO can provide information even without fees, but applicant can not find remedy under RTI Act)

RTI appliation was received on 13-9-13 and information was provided on 5-11-13. When information was provided after statutory stipulated period of 30 days, it has to be provided without RTI fee, where is the need for demand for RTI fee ?

karira

The India Post rules are attached to this post.

They also state that the validity of the IPO is 2 years.

India Post Rules.pdf

DWARIKA

Thanks a lot for giving information about the validity of the IPO.I request to please send the scanned copy of the Gazette Notification dated 9.11.1995 for ready reference.

karira
Thanks a lot for giving information about the validity of the IPO.I request to please send the scanned copy of the Gazette Notification dated 9.11.1995 for ready reference.

Scanned copies are already available in various posts in this threads - as inline images and as attachments.

Just download them on your computer and take a printout.