News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
karira

Penalty frauds in CIC - Penalty of 70 lakhs still to be recovered - 600 unregistered appeals of 2011-2012 and 2013 found lying in CIC

Prasad GLN

But Sir,

That is not in the hands of a common man/citizen.

With due respects, in all departments including judiciary the system is functioning like that. Ignoring responsibilities, and agitating over rights is usual phenomena at every level. On top of this, egoism in each and every person without exception (I am a Government official, How dare are you ask me ? type). We submit everything to unknown force God.

But how to get remedy.

jps50

I would be emailing and mailing by post attachment to all concerned. I am realizing that failure to recover penalties by CIC has strong vigilance angle. I am cogitating to file a complaint with Central Vigilance Commission on this score also.

CIC IMPROV ADDEN 020514.pdf

jps50

Dear Mishraji

I have perused your post No. 24 and thank you for the same. We must accept that all PIOs/PAs are not so indifferent. Large number pay on issue of orders by ICs, and CIC/SIC are not required to follow them, except monitoring recovery. There are few PIOs who need reminders/strongly worded notices from ICs to pay penalties. Then there are third type of PIOs for whom CIC/SIC needs to approach head of public authority [e.g. Chairman in case of bank/insurance companies or Chief Secretary of Ministry or State Dept etc] with copy to PIO. Then there are very strong and well politically or administratively connected PIOs, who may be summoned by ICs along with salary disbursing officer. Only marginal number of PIOs may run the risk of jail with its resultant consequences on his service. I believe that in each and every case IC need not order arrest or jail for recovery of petty amount not exceeding Rs.25000/-. Only foolish PIO would run risk of his career, service by not paying penalty after all these steps.

The problem is with CIC -lack of commitment to recover. I do not think since 2005 CIC would have approached head of PA for non-payment or non-recovery from salary of CPIO even in one case. CIC has confessed that it has no data to effectively follow up. There is no administrative mechanism within CIC for recovery of penalties. CIC should have spared one officer and a clerk exclusively for recovery or made Asstt/Dy Registrars responsible for recovery for their respective registries. I doubt if this issue was ever seriously raised in meetings of ICs at CIC or monitored by Chief IC with Secretary.

Prasad GLN

Shah saab,

Before complaining to CVC, first go through in how many CIC decisions, Chief Information Commissioner has decided against CVC inspite of glaring irregularities. Has at any time CPIO of CVC was penalised ?

They are mutually dependent on each other.

Now that you have suspected Vigilance angle (must be 100% true), can you please provide as to the procedure to know whether a particular decision was given by Hon IC himself, or taking the absence of both the parties, any Dy.Registrar has signing decision as though it has come from IC himself ? (The reasons ?)

skmishra1970

Yes I am also agree with Mr. Prasad. Specially State Information Commission has a track record of Non penalising of any CPIO / SPIO of Police Department or any District Court or High Court, they can use his power of penalty only on powerless PIO i.e. from the Dept. of Education, Health, Sanitation Transport or so.

for more details click the link below :-

à¤*ारत में सूचना की आजादी मिलना अà¤*ी बाकी

Right to Information.pdf

Prasad GLN

The point to be weighed is the important that PIO can get things done,if case of future necessity.

Particularly in Maharashtra the victims of penalties are poor panchayat clerks as they can in no way help others out of their village.(I agree that there may be stray incidents but that PIO is less powerful than appellant)

jps50

I was dealing with non-recovery of penalties imposed by ICs and hence my averment that there could be vigilance angle also for not recovering. Non-imposition of penalty by ICs even in most deserving cases is altogether a different episode.

koteswararaonerella

Returning APPEAL is easier than its disposal and as members opinied it is easy to remove one or two pages and make it DEFECTIVE AND RETURN IT AND IF THE MEMBER IS NOT SERIOUS HE MAY NOT SEND IT BACK URGENTLY.SO QUICK DISPOSAL.

sharadphadke
Shah saab,

Before complaining to CVC, first go through in how many CIC decisions, Chief Information Commissioner has decided against CVC inspite of glaring irregularities. Has at any time CPIO of CVC was penalised ?

They are mutually dependent on each other.

Now that you have suspected Vigilance angle (must be 100% true), can you please provide as to the procedure to know whether a particular decision was given by Hon IC himself, or taking the absence of both the parties, any Dy.Registrar has signing decision as though it has come from IC himself ? (The reasons ?)

Can Hon. G.L.N. Prasad give few cases disposed by Dy. Registrar? I am interested in this type of cases. I have filed a RTI for complain made to CIC for this type of disposal and surprisingly most of the queries are dodged as "No information available" or some evasive reply.

I wish to take this matter to end if there is a permission from god to do this.

Any member who has received his appeal/complaint disposed by Dy. Registrar is welcome by me. Please attach order in this post.

Prasad GLN

Shri Phadke

I have asked for such information in my post. Normally appellant will not be coming to know of such decisions as hearing might have taken place in his absence. This is a suspicion, and how to verify such decision is a question mark.

sharadphadke
Shri Phadke

I have asked for such information in my post. Normally appellant will not be coming to know of such decisions as hearing might have taken place in his absence. This is a suspicion, and how to verify such decision is a question mark.

Very interesting. May I know how you suspect such disposal when you have not gone through?

I have one case like this and to dig this only recently I have sent one RTI to know what action has been taken by then CIC Shri Mishra against disposal of case by Dy. Registrar. Reply was with Duranto or to Japanese super fast speed. Within a week so to say.

With the help of Shri J. P. Shah, we tried to re considered with larger bench also. I sent email to IC Gandhi on his personal as well as CIC's address but all efforts were in vain. May be IC Gandhi's lips were stitched that time. I will find out when he comes to Pune for some lecture.

Now few weeks back IC Gandhi has confirmed that he used to signed all the copies of decisions including office copy and hence I am trying second time to dig. I think if my age permits, I will nail these corrupt officers and I have 75% chances. I know FA and Second appeal will be a most time taking business but we will the RTI India will find the way.

By the way which minister is looking at DoPT? It is better to know in this matter.

Complaint against Dy Registrar Dhirendra Kumar of CIC_SM email copy.pdf

CIC_Reply to RTI for Dhirajkumar disposal.pdf

karira

Members,

Dont go only after the respective Dpty Registrars of the IC.

Also go after the "Legal Retainers" of each IC.

It is the legal retainer who drafts the order and the Dpty registrar who signs it.

The IC is never ever involved.

If you read some of those orders, and KNOW and HAVE MET the Depty Registrars personally, you will easily understand that they are incapable of drafting/writing any such order.

============

Be prepared for a long long fight....it took R K Jain from Delhi 6 months, 473 RTI applications to various PAs, countless first appeals (just check FAA orders on CIC website..and see how many belong to R K Jain)- to expose ex Director/Jt Registrar P K P S Shreyaskar for fraud and corruption. There were some days when he was filing 22 RTIs with CIC on one single day.Only then, he could get him removed from CIC. And remember, that R K Jain, never went to court and is based in Delhi. So a little bit easier for him. So, dont think it is easy. Some of you should meet this person. I think same age as our member shradphadke but really admire his fighting spirit.

karira

Also read the "Manual of Office Procedure" - Does it say anything about signing of office copies ?

Prasad GLN

Mr.Phadke

In one case pending before CVC on a fraud perpetrated with forgery., CPIO has not provided any information at all. FAA ignored first appeal. As this is a clear case of "deemed denial" brief written arguments were filed with Hon.IC well in advance.

Even after CIC decision, no information was provided by CPIO and CVC has closed complaint stating that entire information was provided.

Appellant has filed RTI application seeking information from CPIO, CIC for a copy of that information which was stated to have been provided to applicant and with such service proof. As usual there is no reply from CPIO, CIC. First Appeal was filed for seeking such copy. A letter from CPIO which is in no way relevant or mentions any thing about such RTI Application was provided to appellant. Appellant sought personal inspection of the file and found no such information provided by CPIO as stated in CIC decision. Second appeal was filed before SG as complaint. TO substantiate the complaint, entire documents relating to such CIC decision was sought from CPIO. CPIO as usual remained silent. Through Audio conference FAA heard argument and sought time to trace the record. After one month, FAA informed that file has been weeded out.

A reply provided to Hon.Karira and uploaded by him stated that none of the files were destructed. On the basis of such information another RTI Application was filed, with copy of such information to CPIO now a very strange reply was provided by CPIO.

Now first appeal has to be filed. To close a CVC complaint, even without providing information, CPIO of a PA has got the entire appeal closed and neither that CPIO nor CIC CPIO is producing such information. CPIO, CIC when contacted personally advised appellant to go to court.

Now, I have to see as to how can I justify appellant.(Appellant has misplaced CPIO information and still searching for his reply)

• Similar Content

• karira
      By karira
      As reported by Poornima Swaminathan in mid-day.com on 21 January 2011:
      Jail stint: 2.5 yrs, In hospital: 1.5 yrs)

Jail stint: 2.5 yrs, In hospital: 1.5 yrs

Matka queen Jaya Bhagat has spent 490 days out of her 30-month jail custody at JJ hospital, reveals RTI; sources say she even runs her racket from there

The safest place to run a gambling racket in the city could well be from the sanitised environs of a hospital bed.

It has come to the fore that Jaya Bhagat, arrested on charges of orchestrating the murder of ex-husband matka king Suresh Bhagat in 2008, has competently been running the matka business while admitted to JJ hospital's general ward over the last year.

Jaya Bhagat stays in the general ward instead of the prisoners' ward at JJ Hospital.

At a time when medical facilities in the prison are dismal and most prisoners do not have access to basic cough tablets and painkillers, Jaya's overstay at the hospital is raising many eyebrows.

Well-placed sources said that instead of serving time in a prison, Jaya, under the guise of being treated, is "being pampered and is enjoying a good time and has also been running the matka business from the hospital ward".

Sources said she has been running the matka business using the cell phones of relatives and visitors who come to see her.

The details of her stay were revealed through an RTI enquiry.

The documents (in MiD DAY's possession) state that Jaya's last stint at JJ hospital was a year long, since January 21, 2010, until January 8, 2011, the date the reply was issued.

Moreover, ever since her jail custody since August 2008, she has been visiting the hospital almost every month (see box), spending an aggregate of 490 days in the hospital's care until date.

Jaya's illnesses

According to hospital authorities, Jaya is being treated for hypothyroidism, infection in the urinary bladder, psychotic depression, uterine fibroid, and has been admitted to the neurology ward of the hospital.

Rulebook says

As per the rule, undertrials are supposed to be admitted in the prison ward. But jail authorities say that even after they intervened, Jaya has still not been shifted. "Jaya's continual hospital stays did come to my notice.

I wrote to the hospital authorities asking them to shift her to the prisoner ward, but to no avail," said Surinder Kumar, deputy inspector general, prisons.

Earlier this month, when MiD DAY asked JJ hospital dean, Dr T P Lahane, about prisoners staying at hospitals for long stretches, he had said, "It's a difficult task to handle prisoners.

Matka king Suresh Bhagat's murder was orchestrated by Jaya Bhagat in 2008

They approach us with various special requests and unnecessarily pressurise the doctors and hospital administration.

But if the patient is really ill, irrespective of their prisoner status, we will treat the patient as a human being first."

Matka murder

Suresh Bhagat was allegedly murdered by his wife Jaya, son Hitesh and five others in June 2008.

The seven accused were booked under the Maharashtra Control Of Organised Crime Act, after investigations revealed that they had hatched a conspiracy to eliminate Bhagat. The MCOCA charges were dropped later.

According to the police, Jaya and Suresh were running two separate matka gambling operations in the city after they divorced.

The murder conspiracy came to light after a dispute over earnings worth
      Rs 100 crore.

Good Life
      Details of Jaya Bhagat's stay at JJ hospital
      Jan 21, 2010 to Jan 8, 2011: nearly a year
      Dec 12, 2009 to Jan 4, 2010: 25 days
      May 30, 2009 to July 14 2009: 45 days
      April 25, 2009 to May 15, 2009: 20 days
      Mar 25, 2009 to Mar 30, 2009: 6 days
      Feb 4, 2009 to Mar 3, 2009: 30 days
    • karira
      By karira
      As reported by Raakhi Jagga in indianexpress.com on 21 January 2011:
      161 measurement books missing from LIT records

161 measurement books missing from LIT records

A total of 161 measurement books (MB) are missing from the records of the Ludhiana Improvement Trust (LIT) from the year 2001, it is learnt.
      These books contain details of all development work — expenditure, payment made to contractors, etc. When released, while a junior engineers (JE) has to fill one MB with details regarding various works, a second MB can be issued only when the first one has been submitted for the records. However, it has been found that one JE has been issued more than 20 MBs, when he is either yet to submit the previous ones or the books are missing from the records.

Such discrepancy came to the forefront when the council of RTI activists asked for details from LIT authorities under the Right To Information Act.

Rohit Sabharwal, president of RTI council, said: “Measurement books have to be submitted to the LIT office because they contain all details. According to rule, a JE has to fill a MB on a daily basis — where works are being carried out and how much work has been completed on a given day. These books are of great help if any inquiry is conducted regarding any project. So, it seems that it is a deliberate act to misplace the MBs.”

The JEs who have been issued MBs are Mukhtair Singh, Jaswinder Singh, Gurmail Singh, Nirmal Singh, Ranjit Kumar, Jagdev Singh, Boota Ram, Narinder Kumar, Navin Malhotra, Ashwini Kumar, Inderpal Singh, Bikram Singh and Jaswinder Singh.

Arvind Sharma, general secretary of the council, said: “The JEs have never been asked why they have not submitted the books since 2001. Moreover, they have no details regarding the details of the projects that have already been completed.”

Not only this, according to the audit report revealed under RTI, there is no record of utilisation of construction material issued to contractors and engineers in the books.

A similar incident has taken place in the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation as well. Here, the JEs have not submitted the MBs and hence, cases of overbilling or details of billing in many projects are not available, said sources.

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy