qwertyg

Enquire about service book lost by dept

Question

qwertyg

One of employee who was regular employee of punjab state electricity board missing (may be dead) from last few years .he had no marital family behind him who would be his heir except his brother .Through court his brother got all his legacy.After dat his brother filed a rti to deptt about his GPF ledger statements and photocopies of service book .But now the reply from PIO IS DAT we dont have your brother service book becoz of shifting of office it has been misplaced wenever we get it we will send you photocopies.so now i want forum experts advice how i can help him and what should be the next step means what types of questions should be asked to deptt.if i suggest him to go for complaint under section 18 den wat should be ground of appeal .because i think service book is wid dem ....

Sent from RTI INDIA Mobile App

4 answers to this question

Priya De

All Government Records are the property of Government, and in case of loss of the record, they should have lodged the FIR. Even before lodging an FIR, the department need to issue the search warrant within their own organisation.

Therefore, your first move to draft should be to include this as part of your next RTI. Why don't you draft the RTI and let us know. Other experts shall also pitch in.

RAVEENA_O

Complaint u/s 18 will not yield any fruitful result at this stage. Utmost PSEB may file an affidavit that the SB/SR is missing. That would not serve your purpose.

The service book is allegedly missing. Under RTI, the Public Authority shall supply those information which is held by or under the control of the public authority. Since SR is misplaced, they are not in a position to supply it now. I presume that the GPF details have been supplied by the PIO.

[1] File First appeal within 30 days from PIO's reply before First Appellate Authority. Missing / misplaced is not a valid reason to deny information. Pray for a direction to PIO and the custodian of information to search and supply copy of SR within a stipulated time.

[2] Make a detailed, pointwise representation before Head of Department giving brief summay of service particulars of employee, missing SR and request to order reconstruction of SR of the employee.

[3] File another RTI applilcation before the same PIO and seek:

[a] Name and designation of employee responsible for safe custody of the Service Book of Sh............. designation ............ HQ ..........

Please inform me the date on which it was detected that Service Book of Sh. ....... Design........... HQ ........ was missing.

[c] Supply me certified copy of FIR / Police Complaint lodged by PSEB regarding the missing Service Book.

[d] certified copy of Dak Register under which Service Book of Sh........... Design.......... HQ ............. was last moved, indicating the Cell/Section/Branch/Department where it was delivered/ received.

[e] Certified copy of the note sheet indicating notings by various officers and decision of competent authority, with regard to missing of Service Book of Sh. ...... Design......HQ....

[f] Full details of retirement benefits, inclduing gratuity, GPF, Leave Salary granted to Sh. ............Design ............. HQ......... or to his legal heirs by PSEB and the mode of payment.

Please revisit again to see advice by other experts in this forum. Also post regular feedback and further developments.

qwertyg

Thanks@ raveena_o and priya de for guidance .i wud like to menntion here which i forgot to qoute that employee is missing from last few years .there is no information about him either he is alive or dead that why his brother get his heir through court . Employee's brother is thinking there is somthing wrong at the bottom.thats why deptt is hiding about service book

Sent from RTI INDIA Mobile App