Mujtaba

I want to ask for the records of old FDRs pending to be withdrawn from Dena Bank

Question

Mujtaba

Hello Friends,

I have two FDRs made in year 2000. I wanted to know the records of those FDRs whether they have been cashed by the EE of ZP or have they been renewed with new FD accounts. I have provided the information of those original FD that were drawn as security deposit for ZP work. The SPIO replied to my RTI appeal saying that the record is very old and as per RBI norms bank only keep records for 8 to 10 years.

I again filed an RTI appeal to CPIO regarding the same information but has not got any reply from him instead received photocopy of SPIO letter again.

I would be glad if any one of you can guide me to get the current records available with bank about those FDs, because I think keeping only 8 to 10 years of records of pending transactions is not correct.

7 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

Have you filed First Appeal ?

If the amount is not withdrawn, then that can never become old record and must be lying in overdue deposits account.

File another RTI Application seeking information of such directive from RBI that states that records of over 8 to 10 years of unclaimed/unpaid depositor ledgers need not be preserved.

(In such cases, a separate ledger sheet has to be maintained as carry over showing from which particulars were brought forward. There can never be such RBI regulation. Once you file fresh RTI Application seeking information on such RBI directive, your first appeal comes up for hearing and then depending on necessity you can file addendum to appeal that CPIO has provided incorrect information. You can also proceed to District Forum if you are the affected party. Who is in physical possession of FDR)

Make first appeal to FAA immediately and simultaneously file RTI Application to ZP also seeking information on status of those FDRS and provide details.

Have you kept a xerox copy of FDRS ?

(Infact, banks has to submit a list of such overdue depositor's names after ten years or atleast make an attempt to remind the depositor. What was the due date for deposit ?)

Mujtaba

Thank you so much for such a quick response you. And yes I have xerox copies of original FDs that were drawn from my account in the name of EE of ZP as security deposit. and I had furnished the same with all my RTI applications to SPIO and CPIO of Dena Bank. I had also filed the RTI appeal to EE of ZP seeking for xerox copies of FDRs that were submitted by me as security deposit. But the Concerned officer is not responding the instructions of Appellate Authority. I have unofficially received the reply from that concerned officer that my work file is missing. :(

Sunil Ahya

If you have not received the information and are not satisfied with the response of the PIO, then you should file a first appeal within 30 days of the date of receipt of a response from the PIO.

If you have missed out on this time limit, then kindly file the same RTI application along with another RTI application as suggested by Shri Prasadji, and this time around follow the time limits prescribed under the RTI Act for filing a first appeal.

Kindly refer to the following links to learn more about it:

Link:RTI Act offers three levels to obtain the required information.

Link:Flow of a RTI Application, once having been filed.

Link:Time limits under which I will get the information.

Prasad GLN

Normally Security deposit is being made with Govt. Depts 1)Cash 2)through FDR 3)Bank Guarantee.

In cash-Contractor is not interested, Govt is not interested IN BG, and as FDR earns interest, contractor and as physically the instrument is with them ,Govt prefers and hence it must have been made in the name of.....................Dept A/c.................(contractor)

Only after satisfactory discharge, and returning of receipt in physical mode, contractor is entitle to receive the amount.

It is the Govt. responsibility to return deposit receipt with due discharge, after completion of the work, and then only Contractor steps into the shoes of actual depositor and can demand refund.

If security deposit is not refunded and file is missing, contractor has to demand and get such certificate or remedy from Dept., first and atleast a letter of that kind addressed to the Bank, and after obtaining a duplicate, contractor can demand for refund of deposit.

If dept.., failed, depositor can file complaint against them for deficiency of service by them and claim interest and compensation also.

Priority must be in getting directions from Dept., to Bank informing the loss and for issue of duplicate one. This is most important.

(There are several instances where contractors without completing the work, laid a claim on deposit without dept.,'s notice and taken duplicate and encashed..........either with knowledge of some officials or suggestions or unknown to dept and bank generally will not part with such information without specific concurrence of dept intimation)

Mujtaba

Prasad Sir, I agree with you completely and the FDR is drawn in same manner as u hv mentioned. the only problem here is that i am just wanting to know the details of the FDRs because they have to be renewed. But the Dept. is missing the work file and concerned officer inspite of being ordered by FAA to provide me with the information is not in a mood of searching the file.

Even the bank SPIO has given me the reason for not being able to provide me with the information because of RBI norm of keeping only 8 to 10 years of record. As suggested by you I will file another RTI to get the norms of RBI regarding record keeping.

Plz suggest me what should be my step as the FAA has send show cause notice to the concerned officer a month ago to provide me with information in two days. but still that officer has not vouched for his order.

Sunil Ahya

File another RTI application for missing / untraceable records, by referring to the blog on the following link:

Blog:Missing / Untraceable Records.

Prasad GLN

Best course is (after hearing from Bank on retention period of records to your present RTI, as it is valuable evidence) filing a complaint before District Consumer Forum making 1.ZP and 2.Dena Bank as opposite parties for deficiency of service, after issuing notice to both the parties and waiting for a month after notice.

Have you completed the work, and got completion/experience certificate from ZP.

If so, they have the responsibility to return security deposit (original FDR) with proper discharge and covering letter.