News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
rajub

A little success story with postal department

rajub

I have a success story about postal department but don't know if it is due to RTI.

Somebody who knows working of postal department more closely may throw light on it.

Here is the story.

I sent a money order to my Grand mother (95 years) residing at Thane (near Mumbai) from Nagpur on 10-12-2008. Her 71 years old son has massive paralytic attack and is bed ridden. She needed the money badly for his treatment.

I was extremely upset I could not stay there. But I thought I could help her little bit by sending money.

On 19-12-2008 I filed on line complaint through website of postal department since till then money order had not reached her.

Every day I was checking the status of the complaint which used to show "pending".

I was extremely upset as in the matter of crisis my money was of no use to her. Every passing day was causing heartburn in our family.

I was in a fix what to do. I had two options

1. File a consumer dispute

2. File RTI application

I was of the opinion that neither will solve my problem immediately.

Finally I decided to file RTI.

On 26-12-2008 at 1.00 p.m. I filed RTI asking

a) Name and designations of the persons receiving money order at Nagpur P.O., collecting the dak at collection office at Nagpur, receiving dak at collection office at Thane and person with responsibility to deliver it to the addressee.

On 27-12-2008 at 11.00 a.m. she received the money order and we were really relieved.

• Like 1

sandeepbaheti

Nice to know that RTI served your purpose. May your uncle get well soon.

sagginyou

great show dear

this is the way rti should be used.

sandeepbaheti

By the way, this was an ideal case for the life and liberty provision. I hope you made use of that.

rajub

Thanks Sandeep and sagginyou for your kind words.

Yes, it was an ideal case for life and liberty.

But I did not use the provision. I thought normal request would serve my purpose, which it did I guess.

evdnath

Thanks GOD for the old people. Congracts for appropriate approach.

Regards

MOHANDAS

This is the power of RTI Act 2005. Upon receipt of your RTI application, the Postal Deptt., was compelled to deliver the MO amount to the beneficiary, on the contrary they know that with the RTI information furnished by the Postal Deptt., you will approach the appropriate forum, then the concerned official will be taken into task.

Thank GOD , at last the addressee got the MO even at a delayed stage. You can still try your luck of getting compensated through the Consumer Redressal Forum for the delay occurred in delivering the M.O and detrimental suffered by you in not getting the treatment in time as the M.O did not reach in time as per the Rules of the Postal Deptt., Because of this callous attitude of the Deptt., the business of the Private Courier services are flourishing.

Mohandas.

sngupta

a) Name and designations of the persons receiving money order at Nagpur P.O., collecting the dak at collection office at Nagpur, receiving dak at collection office at Thane and person with responsibility to deliver it to the addressee.

Above all question may make any indivisual accountable and due to this reason Mr Rajub successed to deliver the money to his mother.

sngupta

Above all question may make any indivisual accountable and due to this reason Mr Rajub successed to deliver the money to his mother.

nk agarwal

I think the next aplication under RTI ACt-2005 to postal deptt. could be to know the (1)time period required for such money transaction to complete.

(2) If delay has happened, the names of the employee who were responsible for it.

(3) What action has been taken by the postal deptt. against the employee responsible for it. etc.

nk agarwal

I think the next aplication under RTI ACt-2005 to postal deptt. could be to know the (1)time period required for such money transaction to complete.

(2) If delay has happened, the names of the employee who were responsible for it.

(3) What action has been taken by the postal deptt. against the employee responsible for it. etc.

sngupta

Yes, this is right way to use RTI.

sngupta

Yes, this is right way to use RTI.

jps50

Dear Bakrebhau,

I suggest that U should further follow up the matter with postal dept for replying to your RTI appln and should file complaint with Consumer Forum. This will streamline and sensitize the system, lest some one else become victim in future.

jps50

Dear Bakrebhau,

I suggest that U should further follow up the matter with postal dept for replying to your RTI appln and should file complaint with Consumer Forum. This will streamline and sensitize the system, lest some one else become victim in future.

nk agarwal

RTI users have implied social obligation also and not just personal objective.

nk agarwal

rajub
Dear Bakrebhau,

Dear Jitendra bhai,

I do agree with you.

Just today I have received the letter from PIO advising me to deposit Rs. 2 and get the information.

The next logical step naturally would be approaching Consumer Forum.

I visited the website of Consumer Forum and few doubts crept in my mind. They are

1. Is department of post covered under Consumer Protection Act? Since you are consumer activist too you may be in a position to cite the appropriate judgment of SC/HC/Consumer Forum.

2. How much delay in payment of M. O. is a sufficient ground for deficiency in service and hence likely to fetch the compensation.

The first doubt is crucial. If it is not in our favour the case will be dismissed at the admission stage.

rajub
Dear Bakrebhau,

Dear Jitendra bhai,

I do agree with you.

Just today I have received the letter from PIO advising me to deposit Rs. 2 and get the information.

The next logical step naturally would be approaching Consumer Forum.

I visited the website of Consumer Forum and few doubts crept in my mind. They are

1. Is department of post covered under Consumer Protection Act? Since you are consumer activist too you may be in a position to cite the appropriate judgment of SC/HC/Consumer Forum.

2. How much delay in payment of M. O. is a sufficient ground for deficiency in service and hence likely to fetch the compensation.

The first doubt is crucial. If it is not in our favour the case will be dismissed at the admission stage.

sandeepbaheti

Anyone selling any kinds of goods or services are covered. Any person who buys any kinds of goods or services is a consumer and his grievances can b taken care of by the consumer forum and commissions.

Since this topic falls beyond the purview of RTI, I would advise you to continue on bighelpers. There is a separate section dedicated to consumer issues. I would love to continue the discussions there.

sandeepbaheti

Anyone selling any kinds of goods or services are covered. Any person who buys any kinds of goods or services is a consumer and his grievances can b taken care of by the consumer forum and commissions.

Since this topic falls beyond the purview of RTI, I would advise you to continue on bighelpers. There is a separate section dedicated to consumer issues. I would love to continue the discussions there.

drsunilpshenoy

Quite true.

I had a success with the Mangalore City Corporation , (after 2 years of harassment) with obtaining an Occupancy certificate" for my residence using the RTI Act to nail the harassing officials for their complicity. But nonetheless, I have proceeded with my appeal to the SIC against the PIO. It is only personal monetary loss that pinches them and may help in bringing transparency in their actions.

I have however authorised the concerned SIC to recover the penalty from the official if found guilty and donate it to a specific Charitable Organisation taking care of mentally deranged and underprivileged kids. I am not sure if this is possible under the Act. Accepting "tainted money was never the aim of my appeal.

regards

sunil

abhijeet

Dear Rajub,

Glad to know your success story with the postal Department.

In our state we had different type of experience, probably that is due to our ineffectiveness of selection of queries and improper explanation during hearing. But the point is that recently one of my friends received in response to the query of

" Please inform the name & designation of the official who was entrusted to collect the said memo etc---as replied by the SPIO- No such information is available.

If it is asked the reason of not providing information the very common ORDER of the FAA would be-RTI Act is for information , not for explanation. And our SIC , as informed by that friend, had only expressed his displeasure on it . No penalty nothing else , even the appellant was not granted to be appeared in the hearing.

Abhijeet

rajub

If the information "who is entrusted with the responsibility ..." is not available then the action is performed unauthorisedly as nobody knows the person performing certain action is authorised to do so or not.

If the action is known to be performed but it is not known who performed it means PIO did not use the powers conferred on him/her to compel any employee of that particular PA to assist him collecting the information vide sections 5(4) and 5(5)

sec 5(4) : The Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, may seek the assistance of any other officer as he or she considers it necessary for the proper discharge of his or her duties.

sec 5(5) : Any officer, whose assistance has been sought under sub-section (4), shall render all assistance to the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, seeking his or her assistance and for the purposes of any contravention of the provisions of this Act, such other officer shall be treated as a Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be

You may press in second appeal that,

1] The PIO has not performed his duty as a judicial officer diligently. Hence he be asked to file an affidavit on steps taken to collect the information.

2] The affidavit should include the names and designations of the authorities from whom the information was sought and the official replies given by those authorities.

3] Further the SIC/CIC be requested to direct the PIO to recommend the non cooperating authorities for disciplinary action or SIC/CIC himself should direct the head of the PA to take disciplinary against the non cooperating authorities.

abhijeet

Dear Rajub,

Thank you for your well drafted suggestion, which will be helpful for submission of the second appeal. I had mentioned the sec 5(4) in one earlier 2nd appeal , which is pending at SIC's end. In another application the Hon'ble SIC straightway refused one prayer by saying that the question is not specific , no information could be furnished. The appellant specifically requested for appearing in

the 2nd appeal, which did never happen and the SIC of his own refused the prayer and acted in favour of the SPIO, who did not at all furnish proper information . If you are interested I would like to send by e-mail or if needed I may produce the lengthy clarification and reply received (it is available in SIC website) in this thread. Please inform me if some members are intersted to know what is happening in West Bengal wrt RTI activities and we will be enlightened by the considered views from learned members of this forum.---- abhijeet