News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
KLVKumar

How many days first appeal hearing should be done

Question

KLVKumar

Hello sir

I need help.

I have applied for first appeal. Within how many days hearing should be done? If the hearing results on my favor, with in how many days PIO should give the information from the hearing date?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

1.Have you asked for Hearing of the appeal? If you sought hearing, generally FAA passes orders on same day, and even you can seek it from him and wait for those orders.

2.Normal time for Appellate order is 30 days from receipt of first appeal, and 45 days if FAA mentions reasons for such delay.

3.Normally FAA order prescribes days but he can not exceed more than 30 days time frame to CPIO for providing information. if no time is prescribed by FAA (they ignore time frame), this should be taken as maximum 30 days, and for second appeal 90 days from date of receipt of FAA order.

4.If information is not provided within 30 days, specific prayer must be made in appeal for providing of information and including copies free of cost.

Please search in this site 'Time frame" down load and keep printed copy and diarise the dates of each appeal/application.

jps50

First appeal has to be decided within 30 days [extendable to 45 days for reasons to be recorded by appellate authority] from the day it is received by this authority. You may add 5 days postal time. During this time only hearing is to be completed. If decided in your favour, PIO should supply information within period mentioned in decision of public authority. Following links will be useful:

Reminder to FA

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/1504-reminder-first-appeal.html

HOW TO FILE FIRST APPEAL [CENTRAL/STATE]

How to write First Appeal under RTI? - Guide

Non-compliance of FAA order:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/1872-non-compliance-orders-first-appellate-authority-c-pio.html

KLVKumar

Hi G.L.N.Prasad sir,

i received wrong information from PIO so i appealed. I mentioned i want to be present for hearing in my appeal.

Thanks everyone for reply.

RAVEENA_O

The FAA is required to take a decision within 30 days of receipt of your first appeal, extendable by 15 more days (total 30+14=45 days) for reasons recorded in writing.

Your request for presence, i.e. hearing shall be done before taking final decision by FAA i.e. within 30 days or 45 days, as the case may be.

Wait for FFA's written communcation advising the date of hearing. You will be called since you have requested for hearing.

Also refer:

I HAVE BEEN CALLED FOR HEARING WHAT TO DO..?

Please track/follow this thread continuously for opinion and advice from other expert members of our forum. Also post further developments on your RTI Application from time to time for timely advice.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• ashakantasharma
      By ashakantasharma
      Seeking information under the Right to Information (RTI) Act can be costly at times. Especially when you are asked to cough up as much as Rs 56,000 for some information, you would probably think again before using the Act.
      Advocate Vinod Sampat, too, was shocked when he was asked by the Andheri Land Records office to pay an amount of Rs 56, 268 to get information on the structures located on collector’s land across the city.
      Sampat had made an application on September 21 to inquire about it. He needed the accurate information to be part of the reference books he is writing on property matters. “I wanted information on such properties because buying properties situated on collector’s land costs an extra amount,” said Sampat.
      “However, I was shocked to see the amount asked by the Andheri office,” he said. And the amount was asked only for information on the properties situated under the jurisdiction of Andheri office.
      A shocked Sampat wrote to the Chief Information Commissioner Suresh Joshi, on Wednesday, asking him to ascertain the amount demanded from him. He also wrote to the Land Records Officer, Andheri, MT Ingle seeking a clarification on how the amount was arrived.
      As per RTI rules, Rs 2 per page is demanded to provide information. “That means they were giving me 28,000 pages as information,” said an amused Sampat.
      He said that if his queries were not answered, he would file an appeal with the appellate authority.
      When contacted, Ingle said he had charged Sampat according to the rates specified by the state government and the revenue department.
      Joshi said that in such cases, it is better for the applicants to ask for the inspection of the files so that they can pin-point the actual documents needed. They can also come in appeal to the commission, he said.
      “The information officers can charge rates only as prescribed by the state government and in this case, it is found that the concerned officer is trying to willfully mislead the people, strict action will be taken,” he added.
      However, Sampat said that the inspection point should have been mentioned in the letter, “instead of just frightening the applicant by demanding such an astronomical amount.”
      “Do you believe that the Land Records office must have counted all the 28,000 pages?”

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1833687,0008.htm
      https://right2information.wordpress.com/category/rti-cases/
    • Shrawan
      By Shrawan
      Central Information Commission

Decision No.286/IC(A)/2006
      F. No.CIC/MA/A/2006/00453

Dated, the 20th September, 2006

Name of the Appellant : Sh. N. Anbarasan, APPLESOFT, #39,1st, Cross, 1st Main, Shivnagar, W.C. Road,Bangalore – 560 010.
      Name of the Public Authority: Indian Overseas Bank, Central Office, Customer Service Department, P.B.No.3765, 763, Anna Salai, Chennai – 600 002.

DECISION

Facts of the Case:

The appellant had sought the following information from the CPIO of the Indian Overseas Bank:
      “Request/invitation for proposal/quotation, Quotations, Technical bid, Commercial bid submitted by various language software (like Hind isoftware, Tamil software etc.) suppliers related to supply of software to all the Head/corporate offices and sub-ordinate offices/branches.
      Purchase Order/Supply Order placed on various language software suppliers related to supply of software.
      Request/invitation for proposal/quotation, Quotations, Technical bid, Commercial bid submitted by various vendors/dealers related to purchase of computers like PC, Server, Thin client etc. to the Head/Corporate offices and sub-ordinate offices/branches. Minutes/proceedings of the various committees involved in the
      purchase of software/hardware.
      Delivery Challans, Bills/Invoice, orders passed to make the payment, letter of sanction etc. related to purchase of computers like PC, Server, Thin client etc. to the sub-ordinate offices/branches.”
      [*]In his reply, the CPIO informed that information sought is: “Exempted under Section 8(1)(d) of the Act as the information falls under “commercial confidence” and “Trade Secrets” which would harm the competitive position of the third parties and the larger public interest does not warrant such disclosure.”
      [*]The appellate authority has upheld the decision of the CPIO.

Commission’s Decision

In a recent decision of the Commission, the following was observed: (Decision No.216 dated 31st August 2006):
      “Transparency in functioning of public authorities is expected to be ensured through the exercise of right to know, so that a citizen can scrutinize the fairness and objectivity of every public action. This objective cannot be achieved unless the information that is created and generated by public bodies is disclosed in the form in which it exists with them.
      Therefore, an information is to be provided in the form in which it is sought, u/s 7(9) of the Act. And, if it does not exist in the form in which it is asked for and provided to the applicant, there is no way that proper scrutiny of public action could be made to determine any deviations from the established practices or accepted policies.”
      In view of this, the information sought relate to the public action with regard to the processes that have been followed in purchase of computers and other accessories. Such actions clearly fall under the public domain and therefore exemption claimed u/s 8(1)(d) is not justified.
      The CPIO is, therefore, directed to furnish the information sought within 15 working days from the issue of this decision. The appeal is accordingly disposed of.

Sd/-
      (Prof. M.M. Ansari)
      Information Commissioner

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy