cat_with_nine_lives

RTI fees and word limit

Question

cat_with_nine_lives

Dear members,

I'm trying to use RTI to solve a pesky Employees Provident Fund (EPF) transfer issue. The posts on this forum have been most instructive. However I still have the following doubts:

1. The office concerned is in Gurgaon, Haryana. The prescribed RTI fees for this. It is well known that the standard rate for RTI queries is Rs. 10. However, Haryana appears to be an exception and mandates the payment of Rs. 50. But then again, EPF appears to come under the Central Government's Labour Ministry. What fee should I send with my application?

2. Can an RTI application be rejected if I send Rs. 50 when the fee was Rs. 10?

3. Is there any word limit on the length of an RTI application?

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

Bhimk

Dear Member,

1. Fee is 10 rs.(central department)

2. Mention on application that u wants to donet extra amnt for other RTI activist.

3. No limit.(try to make a few limited questions).

You can also file online from http://www.rtionline.gov.in..it will further transfer to regional branch Gurgaon.

Can u plz let us know what is the matter??

digal

@cat_with_nine_lives

If you are sending application to the "Public Authority"(EPFO in this case) under control of Central Govt, you need to follow the central RTI rules only.

1. Attach IPO/DD etc of Rupees 10/-; nothing more nothing less[Central Rules 2012, Rule 3].

But, for PAs under Haryana Govt., one need to attach a fee of 50/- (Rule 5 of Haryana Rules 2009).

2. You need not to send any thing more or less. The extra cost of papers or other materials (if any) may be calculated by PIO & will be informed to you. The PIO will avoid all difficulties to return extra amount sent by you. S/he has to go by the rules.

3. Try to limit within 500 words (except address) [Central Rules 2012, Rule 3].

R K Mishra

Prasad GLN

The word limit is only for information matter and not for. Even if you want to extend you can not do that in case of EPF. 500 word limit is just to restrict and is not a bar for denial of information. All EPF to my knowledge is of Central RUles only Try one as per format.

Application dt...................seeking information under RTI Act filed

Before CPIO, EPF.........................(Full address) with

RTI Fee: Indian Postal Order No..............for Rs.10/ Fvg: Accounts Officer

Applicant........................................(Name and full address)

Brief Facts: Name of Member:.....................Permanent Account No..................Name of Organisation ..................Prescribed No................Matter regarding........................

Information solicited: Please provide me the following information.

Place

date..............................A[[;ocamt

cat_with_nine_lives
Dear Member,

1. Fee is 10 rs.(central department)

2. Mention on application that u wants to donet extra amnt for other RTI activist.

3. No limit.(try to make a few limited questions).

You can also file online from http://www.rtionline.gov.in..it will further transfer to regional branch Gurgaon.

Can u plz let us know what is the matter??

The matter is the usual delay in transfer of EPF. There are many examples of filing RTIs for this in our forums and elsewhere. Thought I'd try my luck.

I filed the RTI under the Ministry of Labour through the https://rtionline.gov.in/ portal on Saturday. I got an SMS saying that my request has been filed.

I hope that they forward it to the right authority soon - any idea how long it will take for them to do that?

I'll keep all of you posted.

Thanks all

cat_with_nine_lives

So as suggested by Bhimk, I had filed the RTI request online at rtionline.gov.in on June 21, under the Ministry of Labour on June 21. On June 24 (or 26?), the Ministry of Labour transferred the application to the Central Provident Fund Commisioner. (See attachment RTI_Response.jpg for a scan of the letter.) So now it has been forty days, and there has been no response. I have no idea if the application went to the right place (CPIO, EPFO Gurgaon). How do I go about finding that out?

Should I file a first appeal now, or wait? Should I file it through the portal or directly to the appellate authority?

Thanks and regards

Prasad GLN

Please heed to advise of experts. All senior members always advise member to avoid on line filing and use only traditional method of filing applications by post direct to concerned authority.

Wait for another week and file appeal also direct to concerned on online way.

cat_with_nine_lives
Please heed to advise of experts. All senior members always advise member to avoid on line filing and use only traditional method of filing applications by post direct to concerned authority.

Wait for another week and file appeal also direct to concerned on online way.

Sorry to sound rude, but in the context of this thread, where has any 'expert' asked me to avoid online filing? And note that there is a difference between advise and advice.

But thank you for your advice.

Prasad GLN

A member is expected to read posts at least occasionally, and it is not "advice" from single moderator, and even Hon.Karira, always advised in his several posts to always use traditional method of Regd., post.

It is not always possible to address single individual without raising the query, and what ever is advised to other new/upcoming members, and replies to other posts are to be studied and followed in general.