Sajib Nandi

Kerala: RTI can't get you info on interstate water row

Sajib Nandi

The state government has exempted all information and documents relating to interstate water issues from disclosure under Right to Information Act.

A government order (GO) in this regard was issued by the water resources department on Tuesday. The decision was taken fearing that disclosing the information might affect the cases pending at various courts, including the Supreme Court.

Read details: RTI can't get you info on interstate water row - The Times of India

RAVEENA_O

The State Government has no such power to put a blanket ban on disclosure of such a class of information. When the matter is before the judicial forum, it is for that judicial forum to expressly forbidden to disclose any such class of information pertaining to the litigation.

Even when an exemption under Sec-8 or 9 is applicable, it is for the PIO to take a decision on each request on case to case basis by recording reasons for denial. But even after that, the applicant has further right of appeal and review (2nd appeal).

Material pertaining to the inter state water dispute shall not qualify exemption under Section-8 or 9. It shall not fit into any of the phrases of Sec-8(1)(a) of the Act. The Act do not confer any power to the State Governments to classify any information to belong to an exemption enumerated under Sec-8 or 9. The GR is an executive order, which cannot nullify the creation of a legislature. This GR cannot stand scrutiny of law.

G.R.Vidyaranya

The State Govt. could easily fit this in economic interest of the state u/s 8(1)(a) which states:

(a) information, disclosure of which would prejudicially affect the sovereignty and

integrity of India, the security, strategic, scientific or economic interests of the

State, relation with foreign State or lead to incitement of an offence

karira
The State Govt. could easily fit this in economic interest of the state u/s 8(1)(a) which states:

(a) information, disclosure of which would prejudicially affect the sovereignty and

integrity of India, the security, strategic, scientific or economic interests of the

State, relation with foreign State or lead to incitement of an offence

How will revealing information about water disputes qualify as "economic interests of the State" ?

G.R.Vidyaranya

When states are having water sharing disputes with their neighbours, indiscriminate disclosure of sensitive information could weaken their case in courts/tribunals which will result in their losing their claim to share of water, which will in turm harm their irrigation/drinking water/other needs and thus their economy. This can cause farmer unrest which can incite widespread violence or offence.

8(1)(a) is quite broadbased.

karira

That is a very far fetched argument.

Water for irrigation cannot be construed as water for economic purposes !

Providing drinking water is a basic human right.

G.R.Vidyaranya

Karira ji,

This was told to me by a senior Engineer in the Irrigation Dept who are continuously being targetted by politicians and farmers agitating against release of water to neighbouring states, where a dispute is pending for over a century.

There is a story in US too where, after the Three Mile Island incident in which there was partial meltdown of core, the Govt. was planning to ban the film "China Syndrome" which vividly explains the situation in Nuclear power plants. Depends on which one is the easier solution.

• Similar Content

• Shree Vathsan
      By Shree Vathsan
      I had sought details of loan and copies of agreement entered with World Bank, JICA etc. of IT Expressway Chennai (created in partnership with Govt of TN) However the PIO has replied that they have moved out of world bank loan and taken loan from other banks details of which cannot be disclosed under 8(1) d of RTI Act citing "commercial confidence".
      However the IT Expressway is a public limited company having entered into agreement with Govt of TN and others for developing and maintaining a particular stretch of road.

Kindly help me frame a good first appeal.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

• shrivar1212
      By shrivar1212
      Hello,
      I require help on co-operative issue. I had filed the RTI with the PIO, Dy registrar of co-op societies seeking information on affairs of society.
      The PIO has replied stating that the information I am seeking is available with co-operative society. My query is:
      1] Can PIO direct an applicant to private body for information?
      2] The society in question comes under the jurisdiction of the PIO, since PIO is public authority and co-operative society a private body, is it not duty of PIO to seek information from society and give it to me? How can PIO direct me back to society? This is RTI application, either I have to appeal or I have to forego. I cannot complaint against reply. So I want to approach FAA, under what grounds can I?
      3] What kind of violation PIO has committed by directing me back to private society? 
      4] Does co-operative society come under the purview of RTI ACt?
      Your views are appreciated. I am fighting lone battle with corrupt system. 

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy