News Ticker
karira

If NPA info is published in newspapers, it cannot be denied to RTI applicant

karira

CIC has held that if a Bank publishes info related to NPAs, then it must provide the same to the RTI applicant:

11. In the instant case admittedly there is a provision in the rules of the bank to publish certain NPA details in newspapers and, therefore, the information which is already published in the newspaper can be shared by the CPIO with the appellant.

Decision Notice

12. In view of the larger public interest involved in the matter as the volumes of NPAs are huge amounting to over two lac crore in case of nationalized and public sector banks alone (source, Deportment of Banking Supervision, RBI) as on 31.3.1013, the CPIO is directed to allow inspection of record with reference to point 1(b) of the RTI request only for accounts where action under SARFAESI Act is being taken, severing any confidential information at a mutually convenient date and time and give the details regarding news papers with dates on which the details of 111 NPA cases were published, within three weeks of the receipt of the order of the Commission The CPIO‘s decision is upheld with respect to the other points of the RTI application.

The full order is attached to this post.

NPA details.pdf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• A-ZJUSTICE
      By A-ZJUSTICE
      Will the Nationalised Banks give infomation about the Loan Defaulters?
    • Gowtham_phoenix
      By Gowtham_phoenix
      Hi all.
      I took an education loan in 2007 in a nationalised bank. Recently, I was not able to pay the EMIs regularly due to family circumstances and it is now in NPA category.
      My father's friend is willing to pay off the loan as One Time Settlement. So we approached the bank for it but the bank is not ready to waive the interest off to even a particular extent, considering our situation. What we heard from other bank manager is, a bank manager has the privileges to waive off a good sum in terms of one time settlement of education loan.
      What should I do now? We are planning to raise the concern to Regional Office. I am not willing to lose the opportunity as the good hearted friend of my father is willing to settle my loan and is ready to get it back from me without any interest.
      Kindly suggest me a solution people!

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy