News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
chosudar

What does "Signed copy awaited" mean in CIC Online website

Question

chosudar

Hi,on 07-Dec-2014, i filed a RTI petition with the Passport Office Chennai, but till date i have not received any reply from that office, so i filed an appeal with the Central Information Commission website on 19-Jan-2015.Since then when i check the status of my complaint it states "Signed copy awaited". What does this mean ? when i checked in http://cic.gov.in/faq.htm#1 - URL on FAQ.3 i found that as per Rule 3(viii) of the CIC (Appeal Procedure) Rules, 2005 i am supposed to send a self-attested copy to the CIC. To which address should i send it ? Any help in this regard is appreciated. Thanks

7 answers to this question

digal

Hi chosuda,

WELCOME to RTI INDIA, the ocean of knowledge on RTI matters.

i filed an appeal with the Central Information Commission website on 19-Jan-2015

i check the status of my complaint it states "Signed copy awaited"

It seems you filed a direct online complaint thru CIC website.

Yes, as it shows, you need to send a self attested printed copy of the online complaint+attached documents(RTI application & proof of delivery)

After 7 to 10 days, check Diary status by your name at CIC website & note down the number.

Then wait for at least 3 months (depending upon the registry) to get your complaint registered.

But, through complaint, you will not able to get the information.

Immediately, send 1st Appeal to FAA of the the PA, describing about deemed refusal. Then you may go for 2nd Appeal to CIC as per the schedule given below.

---------------- ---------------

Go through Guide section to know abc of RTI Rules & Fees.

Centre & States have different Rules.

In this august forum, feel free to clarify your doubt on RTI matters.

You may encounter the following abbreviations during your search/observations, described in simple form without technical details.

PA : Public Authority > The Organization/Department which possesses the information.

PIO : Public Information Officer > to whom you may apply for information. Under section 6(1), apply with prescribed fees (Rules & Fees) & wait for 30(48 hrs for life & liberty) days + postal delay.

FAA : First Appellate Authority > If you did not get any reply or the reply is not satisfactory, you may Appeal to FAA u/s 19(1). Wait for 30 (45 for other reasons) + postal delay.

IC : Information Commission; CIC for central Govt/PSUs, SIC for State Govt/PSUs.> last step in the process, where you need to appeal u/s 19(3), within 90 days of decision of FAA.

U/s 18(1), you may Complain directly to CIC/SIC, where you did not get any reply from PIO/ got misleading/False/Incomplete Information. Also you may complain where PA doesn’t have any PIO or never displays/updates RTI information on it’s website.

The Act is in simple form. Just have a look to epitomize the sections.

You may download various Orders of Information Commissions, High Courts & Supreme Court.

Regards

R K Mishra

karira

Before filing the second appeal, did you avail of the facility of "First Appeal" under Sec 19(1) of the RTI Act 2005 ?

If you haven't done so, then your second appeal will be returned by the Registry of CIC.

jps50
Prasad GLN

Find difference between Complaint under Sec.18 and Second Appeal before CIC under Sec.19.

Complaint can directly be filed with CIC, if CPIO fails to provide information within statutory stipulated 30 days period (30days) or CPIO has not provided relevant,correct and proper information . Then CIC admits complaint and first appeal need not be filed.

But in case of second appeal before CIC , filling of first appeal with FAA of that pubic authority is mandatory.

(You can decide and file hard copy depending on your necessity as you can not get information from CPIO if complaint is filed)

koteswararaonerella

in the RTI act there are two stages to be complied with before approaching CIC either for second appeal/complaint and you have only complied with first stage bypassed second stage and went to CIC which is not bound to be accepted by the CIC who may direct you to got FAA before coming to him.

signed copy means normal application duely signed , since you might have not affixed your signature on online application.

chosudar

thank you all for the time. So i guess i should appeal to FAA first, and then if not satisfied with the reply go for second appeal, and finally post it to CIC. I thank you all for spending your time for me

Prasad GLN

The procedure is not your "guess" but laid down procedure under RTI Act for Second appeal. So please study time frame fixed and take a suitable decision.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• maneesh
      By maneesh
      Central Information Commission allows you to seach the status of your application at their website. You can search your application by following:

Registration No
      Name of Appellant / Complainant
      Name of CPIO/App Authority/Orgn
      Subject

It gives the status of Only Appeal(s), Only Complaint(s), or Both

You can reach to the search section of CIC here

Central Information Commission - Action Status
    • karira
      By karira
      This is a good one...
      Someone using RTI to pry open the reasons for DOT censoring websites.
      Would be interested to see how this goes.

Mr HC Jayal,
      Joint Secretary, Administration,
      Department of Telecom,
      Ministry of Communication and Information Technology,
      Sanchar Bhavan, 20 Ashoka Road, New Delhi 110001.
      Subject: Detailed information required about on Internet censorship under the RTI Act
      Dear Sir,
      Under the provisions of the Right to Information Act, 2005, you are requested to kindly provide the following information:
      1) Which websites are currently blocked in India? Kindly list the addresses of all the websites.
      2) For which websites have till date orders been issued for unblocking after it was once blocked?
      3) Is there a policy of notifying the public, via the media or through other means, as and when a certain website is blocked?
      4) The Department of Telecom (LR Cell) had on 11 June 2004 issued directions to ISPs to block the website Hotfoon :: Value Telephony. It is understood that the blocking of websites is undertaken as per the provisions of the Department of Information Technology’s Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) dated 7 July 2003.
      (a) Which of the authorities listed under section V (1) of the Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) had requested the blocking of Hotfoon :: Value Telephony Kindly provide a copy of the relevant correspondence.
      (b) Why was Hotfoon :: Value Telephony blocked?
      © Is the Department of Telecom aware that at the moment Hotfoon :: Value Telephony is accessible from connections of many ISPs?
      (d) Has the blocking of Hotfoon :: Value Telephony been revoked at any point?
      5) On 29 June 2006, the Department of Telecom (LR Cell) had issued directions to Internet Service Providers to block the website http://www.geocities.com/cpimlpwg.'>http://www.geocities.com/cpimlpwg. Which of the authorities listed under section V (1) of the Department’s Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) dated 7 July 2003 had requested the blocking of http://www.geocities.com/cpimlpwg?'>http://www.geocities.com/cpimlpwg? Kindly provide a copy of the relevant correspondence with that authority.
      6) On 31 July 2006, the Department issued a notification to ISPs saying that http://www.geocities.com/cpimlpwg was deleted from their servers by M/s Yahoo! Inc.
      (a) Kindly provide copies of the correspondence with M/s Yahoo! Inc.
      (b) Considering that asking the web-hosting provider to remove websites is not mandated under the Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) dated 7 July 2003 or the IT Act, 2000, under what specific legal provision was M/s Yahoo! Inc. asked to remove http://www.geocities.com/cpimlpwg?
      © Which other websites have been removed by which hosting providers on the request of the Department of Telecom or other departments in the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology? Kindly provide copies of the relevant correspondence.
      7) On 29 June 2006, the Department of Telecom (LR Cell) had issued directions to Internet Service Providers to block the website http://www.sex.in. Which of the authorities listed under section V (1) of the Department’s Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) dated 7 July 2003 had requested the blocking of http://www.sex.in? Kindly provide a copy of the relevant correspondence with that authority.
      8) On 16 July 2004, the Department of Telecom (LR Cell) had issued directions to Internet Service Providers to block the website Hindu Unity - Soldiers of Hindutva! Awake Hindus!!. Which of the authorities listed under section V (1) of the Department’s Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) dated 7 July 2003 had requested the blocking of Hindu Unity - Soldiers of Hindutva! Awake Hindus!! Kindly provide a copy of the relevant correspondence with that authority.
      9) On 13 July 2006, the Department of Telecom (LR Cell) had issued directions to Internet Service Providers to block Hindu Unity - Soldiers of Hindutva! Awake Hindus!! apart from 16 other websites. However, Hindu Unity - Soldiers of Hindutva! Awake Hindus!! had already been blocked under the order dated 16 July 2004. What was the logic in asking to block an already blocked website? Has the Department of Telecom ever asked ISPs to revoke the blocking of Hindu Unity - Soldiers of Hindutva! Awake Hindus!!
      10) In the 13 July 2006 order, the Department of Telecom (LR Cell) had issued directions to Internet Service Providers to block 16 websites other than Hindu Unity - Soldiers of Hindutva! Awake Hindus!!. These are:

The Jawa Report v3.0 Beta
      Editors in Pajamas
      OpiniPundit
      Pirate’s Cove
      クレジットカード・キャッシング・ローンの総合情報ニュースなど
      http://bamapachyderm.com
      Tonys' Notes
      Merri Musings
      Macker's World - BANNED IN INDIA!
      volunteerswork.net
      http://www.hinduhumanrights.org/hindufocus.html
      Nndh.com - The Best nndh Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
      bloodroyaltriped.com
      Yahoo! - Incorrect URL
      imamali8.com
      Welcome to RahulYadav.Com Which of the authorities listed under section V (1) of the Department’s Gazette Notification GSR 529 (E) dated 7 July 2003 had requested the blocking of each of these websites? Kindly provide a copy of the relevant correspondence with that authority for all of these 16 websites.
      Looking forward to a prompt response.
      (signed)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy