News Ticker
Rajiv A Datta.

' Deduct infro officer's salary for RTI lapses ' »» SOURCE'S ,TIMES OF INDIA ,MUMBAI/ THANE ,pg -8 S

Rajiv A Datta.

@ rajivdatta

1423882060562.jpg

karira

‘Deduct info officer’s salary for RTI lapses’

MUMBAI: Reminding state government agencies that the office of the chief information commissioner is akin to a civil court, the general administration department has expressly told department heads to ensure that penalties imposed on public information officers (PIOs), failing to deliver on RTI complaints, are recovered from their salaries. It has directed department heads to recover the amount either in one go or in a maximum of three instalments.

The Right to Information Act, 2005, under Section 20(1), allows the central information commissioner or state information commissioner to impose a penalty on the PIO while deciding on a complaint or a second appeal. Penalty can be imposed if the PIO has refused to receive an application, not furnished the requested information within 30 days of receiving the application, if it is found that the decision to deny information is mala fide, knowingly given incorrect or incomplete or misleading information, destroyed information or obstructed in any manner in furnishing the information.

The amount of penalty to be charged is Rs 250 per day till the information is furnished and the maximum penalty is Rs 25,000. The penalty has to be paid by the PIO from her/his salary. The First Appellate Authority or the Public Authority are not subjected to any penalty clause under the RTI Act.

Read More: ?Deduct info officer?s salary for RTI lapses? - The Times of India

akhilesh yadav

AURANGABAD: The Maharashtra government has fixed the responsibility of collecting fines imposed on public information officers (PIOs) on the accounts officers or heads of public institutions concerned. The dues will be recovered in three installments from the salaries of the PIOs or as per orders issued by the State Information Commission (SIC).

Read at: State government to ensure recovery of fines from errant PIOs - The Times of India

karira

The Maharashtra Govt. circular regarding deduction of penalty from officers salary, referred to in the above news report, is attached to this post.

Maharashtra Govt circular.pdf

• Similar Content

• shrivar1212
      By shrivar1212
      Hello,
      I require help on co-operative issue. I had filed the RTI with the PIO, Dy registrar of co-op societies seeking information on affairs of society.
      The PIO has replied stating that the information I am seeking is available with co-operative society. My query is:
      1] Can PIO direct an applicant to private body for information?
      2] The society in question comes under the jurisdiction of the PIO, since PIO is public authority and co-operative society a private body, is it not duty of PIO to seek information from society and give it to me? How can PIO direct me back to society? This is RTI application, either I have to appeal or I have to forego. I cannot complaint against reply. So I want to approach FAA, under what grounds can I?
      3] What kind of violation PIO has committed by directing me back to private society? 
      4] Does co-operative society come under the purview of RTI ACt?
      Your views are appreciated. I am fighting lone battle with corrupt system. 

• Shree Vathsan
      By Shree Vathsan
      Can the General Diary of the police station where particulars of "All the details in r/o criminals arrested and entry of arrival/departure of all enrolled police officers on duty with nature of their duties, duty performed and places visited etc."   are maintained be inspected and photo copies sought from a particular police station under RTI?
      Is there any particular clause/section that needs to be quoted for inspection under RTI? Any format available for inspection under RTI?

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy