Jump to content
News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
  • 0

Principal denying to give Leaving Certificate




Two of my children are studying in a CBSE affiliated school in Anand, Gujarat. I applied for LC (Leaving Certificate) as I want to Change the school. The principal denied giving the LC before I pay the complete fees for next whole year for both my Kids. I have Paid the current year fees. The academic year (completing on 31st March) starts in April. So, can she ask the same by law? If yes, which law. If no, by the help of which law I can involve Judiciary against her/ the school? Please Advise.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Welcome to RTI INDIA PORTAL. Thank you for choosing RTI INDIA PORTAL.


Please click the following link and read through the topics:


RTI Information


Please do not post in to multiple forums or start multiple threads. You need to study links on home page of this website and then start drafting RTI for common problem of specific issues etc. You can post draft RTI application on this portal so that our members can refine it. Thus you will be having working knowledge of RTI over a period of time. Please also visit this website often and peruse queries and replies by our members, which will make you comfortable with RTI.


Dear Member, in addition,


If you are interested in reading the whole RTI Act please go to the following link:


Right to Information Act 2005 [RTI Wiki]


To explore about RTI kindly refer following links


(A) Download RTI Forms

(B) How to Become RTI Activist

© How to file RTI Online

(D) Centre / State RTI Rules and Fees

(E) Case laws of RTI


Regard & Best Wishes.

Manoj B.Patel

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

No, school authority can not ask for fee for next whole year to issue LC. If your organisation is Public Authority seek information under RTI Act the specific reasons for inordinate delay in issuing certificate. The format of application and RTI fee applicable to individual organisation (State/central) can be searched in RTI Guide in this portal.

If the organisation is private, it is not within ambit of RTI Act, and then you have to first complain to controlling authority i.e. DEO.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I hope you have applied in writing with acknowledgement or speed post AD to School for LC. In case if you have not done so, please do it immediately. You can track delivery of speed post also at India Post | Home. Let School reply in writing. At times colleges and schools say any thing orally.


You may lodge a detailed complaint with CBSE []404 Not Found with copies to Principal of School and District Education Officer. In case no action is taken in a month by CBSE please use RTI by referring:


Long pending? :





Central Govt. application:








I have doubt if DEO has administrative authority over CBSE affiliated schools. Any way you may rope him also in the issue. If possible you may meet him personally and ask him to help you.


If you are required to use RTI against CBSE, you may add one more query:


"Please provide me certified photocopy of rules/directives to schools, where it is mandatory to recover fee for next academic year, if School Leaving Certificate is required by the parents, who have paid fee for current academic year"


You may also study website of CBSE if they have posted rules and procedures for obtaining SLC and argue with Principal with a copy of printout from website.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Sunil Ahya

While writing to the school & CBSE, kindly enclose the following relevant news articles on the similar subject


(school / college cannot withhold students by compelling them on various grounds i.e. by either withholding their original certificates or withholding other certificates such as school leaving certificates):


College fined Rs. 1 lakh for not returning certificates.


Retaining Original Certificates is illegal.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Prasad GLN

There is a stipulation that once the student appears for atleast a day for next academic sessions, and if the admissions of that section/schools are closed, fees has to be paid for the entire academic year.

Normally in several schools AY starts in June but some schools made it a point to commence school immediately after Annual examinations and finalise admissions in March itself.

So, if a principals objects it, he can not dare to overlook a stipulation. The school has to give leaving certificate only if there are no dues.

You can file RTI application to CBSE and seek information on conditions appliable while issuing TC to be following by CBSE affiliated schools with RTI fee of Rs.10/- as Indian Postal Order fvg. Accounts Officer, CBSE for more authenticated information to argue before Principal.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

what the principal of the school asked you is the practice prevailing all over the country from KG to PG and parents are no doubt crying , but no state government has not made any law in support of the schools/colleges and keeping mum, therefore they are demanding full fees without any fear.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • K.yeshwanth ram
      By K.yeshwanth ram
      i'm studying engineering in andhra pradesh. now i'm in 3rd year and wanted to quit engineering. but the collage is demanding remaining two years fee to return my certificates.!help
    • Harisrmite
      By Harisrmite
      How do I send a registered notice to college principal asking for return of original documents? ( I am asking for the procedure in drafting a registered notice.)


  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy