karira

Only 25% of government bodies making mandatory RTI disclosures: CIC

karira

Only 25% of government bodies making mandatory RTI disclosures: CIC

New Delhi: The Central Information Commission on Wednesday questioned government bodies with regard to meeting the requirement of mandatory suo-motu disclosures under the RTI Act and said that there was need for "introspection" as only a little over one-fourth of the 2,276 public authorities have followed statutory guidelines.

AFPAFP

Under Section IV of the Right to Information Act, a public authority is mandated to publish on its website 17 classes of information about its working and the records held by it so that people need not burden it with RTI applications.

The annual report of the CIC, which was released on Wednesday, shows that only 667 of the 2,276 public authorities have fulfilled the mandatory requirement.

"This needs introspection by Ministry/Department/Public Authorities as to the reasons why despite having good ICT infrastructure available with them, its usages for strengthening the system of mandatory disclosure norms remains unattended," the report said.

The report said that the public authorities with field formations need to assess the quality, citizen friendliness, and the periodicity of dissemination of information so as to institutionalise the disclosure mechanism as mandated under Section IV of the RTI Act, 2005.

"Ultimately, it is the creation of robust and dynamic citizen-government interface through sharing of information that should be talisman of our democracy," it said.

Giving details of the mechanism through which the figure of 667 for the year 2013-14 had been arrived at, the report said that all public authorities have to submit their returns online in a pro-forma prescribed by the CIC.

"In (block V), the Ministries/Departments/Public Authorities have to respond to a query 'Is mandatory disclosure under Section 4(1)(b) posted on the website of public authority?' If the response to the query is yes then Ministry/Department/Public Authorities have to provide detail/URL of webpage where the disclosure is posted," the report said.

It said that the pro-forma also provides for other mode of dissemination if a public authority has not posted the disclosure on its website.

"Only 667 Ministry/Department/Public Authorities have given response in affirmative. This means that 667 Ministry/Department/Public Authorities have posted their mandatory disclosure norms through their websites," it said.

Read More: Only 25% of government bodies making mandatory RTI disclosures: CIC - Firstpost

karira

Giving details of the mechanism through which the figure of 667 for the year 2013-14 had been arrived at, the report said that all public authorities have to submit their returns online in a pro-forma prescribed by the CIC.

"In (block V), the Ministries/Departments/Public Authorities have to respond to a query 'Is mandatory disclosure under Section 4(1)(b) posted on the website of public authority?' If the response to the query is yes then Ministry/Department/Public Authorities have to provide detail/URL of webpage where the disclosure is posted," the report said.

It said that the pro-forma also provides for other mode of dissemination if a public authority has not posted the disclosure on its website.

"Only 667 Ministry/Department/Public Authorities have given response in affirmative. This means that 667 Ministry/Department/Public Authorities have posted their mandatory disclosure norms through their websites," it said.

Read More: Only 25% of government bodies making mandatory RTI disclosures: CIC - Firstpost

What a unscientific and lethargic method to come to a conclusion that - if these 667 public authorities have made such affirmative declarations and given link to the website - means that they have complied with Sec 4.

EXAMPLE:

State Bank of Mysore has a RTI link on its website:

Right To Information Act 2005

and this is the suo motu declaration they have :

Right To Information Act 2005

Obviously State Bank of Mysore would have provided the link and CIC has counted it as in the 667 entities.

=======================

What is most shocking is to know that the rest of the public authorities do not even have a link on their websites !

MANOJ B. PATEL

New Delhi, Mar 4 (PTI): The Central Information Commission on Wednesday questioned the government bodies with regard to meeting the requirement of mandatory suo-motu disclosures under the RTI Act and said that there was need for "introspection" as only a little over one-fourth of the 2,276 public authorities have followed statutory guidelines.

Under Section IV of the Right to Information Act, a public authority is mandated to publish on its website 17 classes of information about its working and the records held by it so that people need not burden it with RTI applications.

GirijaSiva

A very senior official of a bank recently was laughing about how IC MP told an applicant, in a second appeal hearing, that suo-motu disclosure is voluntary and not mandatory....

MANOJ B. PATEL

There are stupid also on earth planet !!

karira

Sec 4 suo motu disclosure is a joke.

The CIC is making a laughing stock of itself by writing things like this in their report.

What more to say, when IC DS (who also went on to become Chief IC and was trying for a Governors post after leaving CIC), wrote to me:

"No hearing is required to be held on the complaint re Sec 4 compliance as Sec 4 pertains to suo motu "obligation" of public authorities. This is the view held by the Commission previously as well"

I complained to CIC SM in writing and also sent several reminders BUT not a single word in response.

Please read:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/98869-death-section-4-a.html

============

In another case of State Bank of Mysore (read post 2 above), one "legal adviser" to IC VS told me:

"Mr Karira, if you expect public authorities to comply with Sec 4 completely, they cannot do any other work. You think they have no other work ?"

I went to the Secretary of the CIC to complain and was told..."Forget about her. She is mad" !

So I forgot about her and also about Sec 4.

koteswararaonerella

RTI act was meant for people working with transparency who can disclose anything when asked but corrupt fellows whose strength is more try to evade it and therefore this clash of interest .

karira

d645422400.jpg

d101880304.jpg

• Similar Content

• Shree Vathsan
      By Shree Vathsan
      I had sought details of loan and copies of agreement entered with World Bank, JICA etc. of IT Expressway Chennai (created in partnership with Govt of TN) However the PIO has replied that they have moved out of world bank loan and taken loan from other banks details of which cannot be disclosed under 8(1) d of RTI Act citing "commercial confidence".
      However the IT Expressway is a public limited company having entered into agreement with Govt of TN and others for developing and maintaining a particular stretch of road.

Kindly help me frame a good first appeal.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

• shrivar1212
      By shrivar1212
      Hello,
      I require help on co-operative issue. I had filed the RTI with the PIO, Dy registrar of co-op societies seeking information on affairs of society.
      The PIO has replied stating that the information I am seeking is available with co-operative society. My query is:
      1] Can PIO direct an applicant to private body for information?
      2] The society in question comes under the jurisdiction of the PIO, since PIO is public authority and co-operative society a private body, is it not duty of PIO to seek information from society and give it to me? How can PIO direct me back to society? This is RTI application, either I have to appeal or I have to forego. I cannot complaint against reply. So I want to approach FAA, under what grounds can I?
      3] What kind of violation PIO has committed by directing me back to private society? 
      4] Does co-operative society come under the purview of RTI ACt?
      Your views are appreciated. I am fighting lone battle with corrupt system. 

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy