News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
user9999

file RTI with police - will this help in this case -

user9999

hello,

i need a suggestion on the below for someone that approached me but not able to answer with my knowledge..whether if is it is advisable to file a RTI for this with police..

details -

a complaint was filed by the person at the police station in a city in tamilnadu in regards to a theft at home and this is while people are there in home ..and this clearly seems to be the work of masonary that was present on that day called in for some domestic work.it is for a theft of gold worth close to 3 lakhs. after speaking to the suspect, it is all clear that he did it in the way he responds and by his reactions..but not able prove it.

a complaint was filed with the police 3 days later after checking thoroughly again ...and the police performs a enquiry with both parties ( the other party being the suspect) ..a special police visits the location after that ( just looked more like a eye wash) and no finger prints were taken after that..but police also feels the same what the complainant felt after talking to the suspect...but asked the complainant to wait for sometime to monitor the activities of suspect and just let the suspect go after giving a strict warning..police says this case seems a sensitive issue that they cannot rush up with..dont know what that means..i always thought police always has a way to get the truth from suspect.

and it has been 2 months since this happened...no CSR or FIR was given ..this is in the state of tamil nadu and the complaint is currently abroad with his only old mom living in the city.

now, do you advise is it OK to file a RTI with police on this..

basically the RTI applicant wants to know - by filing a RTI with police....

1. will this make the case and investigation more serious from police side

2. will this RTI backfire in anyway by calling the old mom for any unnecessary interrogation or enquiry or is this RTI is really needed in this case...

3. should the applicant really need to wait for police to get back..

4. will a FIR be filed on these kind of cases?

5..worst case..would there be any chance where the police would have colluded with the suspect and got any deal striken..

kindly advise on how to proceed here.

MANOJ B. PATEL

Dear member, RTI will not be useful at all in this theft case. If you have not lodged the complaint now you can lodge it but finally a disclosure report will be sent by police to the court. Detection of theft cases is 1 to 2 % in our country. A theft case is a quite unimportant matter for police and where serious crimes remain undetected nobody will bother to go in deep to detect you theft case.