News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
monusandy

Does High Courts Judgements come under RTI?

Question

monusandy

Hello,

Can we get judgement of High Courts through RTI after paying the fees?

10 answers to this question

MANOJ B. PATEL

Dear member, RTI is not necessary to get judgment of High Court because it is on the website of the court so you can print out a copy. If you want certified copy you have to file application and by paying prescribed fee you can get the certified copy of concerned judgment.

Prasad GLN

Every library (Bar Association) in High Courts have been provided with a separate cell and internet, and once a citation is given, they charge xerox fees and deliver those decisions in minutes. (though it may be specifically for use of the Advocates, generally the request from citizen is also considered by the Manager)

This service is not limited to those judgments of that particular HC alone, and one can get any HC judgments and SC judgment xerox copies from Library

It can be downloaded even from google --Just type citation and find in google.. Any internet cafe can provide you copy of any HC Judgment.

monusandy

Thanks Manojji and Prasadji for your quick response, but what if I want a certified copies of a judgement of another High court (i am from kolkata). If it was Calcutta High Court, i could easily got it by a known lawyer. But what if i want a judgement (certified copy) of a another High Court (suppose Mumbai), i dont know any lawyer out there, so I thought for RTI if it could help me. Hope I made myself clear. Please reply.

MANOJ B. PATEL

Take a chance by filing RTI application.

jps50

You can apply as per procedure prescribed for getting certified copies of judgement. The procedure is on website of respective High Courts. RTI can not be used for getting information / record from judicial side of any court. You have to only follow procedure prescribed by State High Courts.

Prasad GLN

Then search for advocate of that High Court, and ask him to apply for a certified copy as per Court procedure, and send him a Vakalat. It is easy and if a copy is provided to them, it needs only a certification and the maximum time for providing any certified copy from HC is one week, and there are advocates in HC that can get the copy in one day.

Instead of going for RTI, go for obtaining CC as per Court procedure before vacation commences.

RAVEENA_O

You cannot get judgment copy under RTI from Bombay High Court. Exemption under Rule 13(h) of Bombay High Court RTI Rules provides as under: "(h) information which is contained in published material, available to the Public or which is available on the web site"

Prasad GLN

In 'To-day's Segment in the portal, it appears Madam Raveena has replied. Several times from last night, I am opening the post and could not find her reply in the post. (11.00 p.m. to 10.00 am)

What may be reason for such discrepancy ?

RAVEENA_O

Can you please send link of those threads by PM to me?

Prasad GLN

Now, this post appeared in the same page as No.8. reply.