News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
callcenjobs

Can the applicant approach the consumer Court ?

callcenjobs

Dear Friends,

I am uploading a recent judgement which I felt was rather strange.

Instead of punishing and applying the rules of rti, the honble IC has treated the case with kid gloves.

Can the applicant approach the consumer court now for relief , compensation and proper application of the rules of record keeping etc.?

Would appreciate the honorable members comments, suggestions ?

Thanking all members most kindly,

CJ.

CIC_BS_A_2014_001073_7512_M_153568.pdf

Prasad GLN

This is essence of decision

The CPIO is directed to provide a copy of the enquiry report regarding loss of appellant’s

complaint to him within 7 days from the receipt of this order.

This is clearly a case of poor customer service. The Commission advises the CPIO &

Superintendent of Posts, Mumbai City North West Division Kandivali East to take appropriate

steps to sensitize staff working in post offices under his control to improve customer service so

that recurrence of such incidents are avoided in future.

The appellant has submitted that postal staff dealing with RTI matters do not have

adequate knowledge of the provisions of the RTI Act causing hardship to information seekers.

Hence, in exercise of its powers conferred under section 19(8) of the RTI Act the Commission

directs DPS, O/o CPMG, Mumbai to take necessary steps to provide appropriate training to its

officials to secure proper compliance with the provisions of the RTI Act.

The appeal is disposed of accordingly.

What can we expect from IC, when CPIO states that information is not available on record ?

IC can not throw a punch to CPIO when he has not even stepped into the ring.

Regarding CP Act, there is limitation period of 2 years from cause of action, take a chance and equipped with CIC decision, file complaint in District Forum. (But before that just check what was the maximum compensation payable for non delivery and I do not think that it can work as compensation depends on actual established loss or compensation stated in the provisions which ever is less)

MANOJ B. PATEL

R/sir, with due respect, i do not think it will solve the purpose.

Prasad GLN

What is the purpose ?

MANOJ B. PATEL

Applicant had lodged a complaint on 24/08/2012 for tracking the movement of the article and i think limitation period of 2 years from cause of action is over.

Prasad GLN

As per AP High Court Judgment, issuing notice is also a cause of action. Further action commences from the date of repudiation of claim by Service provider. In view of the intricacies involved it is always advisable to consult an advocate, if there is a chance of getting compensation more than the declared one.

callcenjobs

Thank you kindly dear members for the replies.

As per the public records act, in my opinion the honble IC should have penalised the erring officials.

Also the record keeping officer should have been penalised.

Even if the applicant goes to the consumer court, would there be any bar or restriction , since the consumer court would / may ask the applicant to file a writ petition ?

I read a newspaper report which was as follows

India Post penalised for delaying Speed Post letter - Oneindia

I sincerely believe that the honble IC has only "recommended" changes.

Kind regards

CJ