News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
Subashinics

Marriage Registration

Question

Subashinics

Hello,

My name has 2 initials, one stands for my place of birth and the other for my father's name.

I was trying to register my marriage in a registrar office in Tamil nadu.

The registrar asked me to produce transfer certificate from school/college.

I did the same promptly. My initials are not expanded on my Transfer Certificate.

I told the registrar that the first initial stands for my place of birth, for which he insulted me saying - I can even have my name as California or London, but the same should be in the transfer certificate. I even showed my passport as a proof for my initial expansion. But he says that I need to get my name changed in Gazette and only then he will register my marriage.

I want to know if this is true. What are all the proofs required to register my marriage if I have multiple initials and if they are not expanded on my transfer certificate.

Also, I want to know if I can lodge a complaint against the registrar for insulting/teasing my name.

When I posted this in RTI online, the application was returned with the following message. Please help me on how to proceed with this issue.

"As mentioned in the guidelines for use of this portal, this facility is not available for filing RTI applications for the public authorities under the State Governments, including Government of NCT Delhi. Since your RTI application is meant for a public authority under the State Government, the same is returned herewith. You may file the same before the concerned public authority under the State Government."

4 answers to this question

jps50

You may lodge a detailed complaint to higher officer than registrar of marriages in TN [ I think it is registrar general of marriages] with copy to officer who declined to register and insulted you. Please study:

::REGINET::

http://www.divorcelawyerindia.com/tamil-nadu-registration-of-marriiages-act-rules2009-part-i/

There is provision of appeal in State Act against decision of Registrar/ Dist Registrar. You can also appeal to him for refusal of registration by registrar of marriages concerned.

In case if no action is taken in a month on your complaint, then send a reminder to the higher officer. If still there is no action use RTI by referring:

Long pending? :

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/69-any-thing-pending-govt.html

https://app.box.com/s/hcuhkwein4m95jttabjd

https://www.box.com/s/4a226fbd926cfe793bd4

HOW TO FILE RTI:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/93-how-make-rti-application-effective.html

https://app.box.com/s/5n8e7xx2l2n48yt7hhy1

TN

http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/centrestate-rti-rules-and-fees-3/tamilnadu-right-to-information-rules-26/?ltr=T

MANOJ B. PATEL

Dear member,

This portal is dedicated to discussing issues related to RTI Act 2005.

For doubts/queries, such as yours, best is to consult a knowledgeable advocate.

Vilas18

Sorry that it is out of rti.

it is helped by other where he knows how to get it done.

i hope wetting helped is important.

plz not to strike as it is not under rti .

my request to manoj sir .

i appolozie

Prasad GLN

Both the posts are meaningful. Hon JP suggested to make it further RTI, on action taken against complaint further through application. Hon Manoj talked of discipline. But both are not remedies. The remedy is seek information from SPIO of some other Registrar on procedure to be followed while entering name for issuing marriage certificates. (I do not know whether it is a notice for registered marriage or for registering marriage after religoous marriage. If it is registering after marriage, I advise you to send all documents by Regd., post and write a letter to them as to when bride and bridegroom should come with witnesses and request for mention of exact time, and seek as there are any procedural mistakes, as visiting with all of them when there are procedural mistakes is a wastage of time for four persons)