News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
gkanand

Role of PIO/APIO etc.

gkanand

Dear Sir,

As per provisions under RTI, many public sector entities have nominated PIO/APIOs etc at various levels to address RTI related issues. My doubt is whether such nominated officers alone need to handle RTI related issues of their respective organization or any office of the organization can accept the application form and forward it to PIO/APIO etc. Please guide me

With regards

G.K. Anand

MANOJ B. PATEL

Any employee of their office can receive the RTI application on behalf of PIO but reply should be given by PIO only.

jps50

Every PIO/APIO is the PIO/APIO of the entire public authority irrespective of his place of working.

koteswararaonerella

when a PIO/APIO are designated ,you need to send your RTI application to them only. whether they receive or somebody on their behalf receive, the postal cover has no bearing but the reply need to be given by the PIO/APIO only.

gkanand

Sir, thanks alot for your comments, my doubt is whether an officer of the same organisation, but not PIO/APIO, located in the same city can receive RTI application from general public. Please guide

With regards

G.K.Anand

gkanand

Re: Role of PIO/APIO etc.

Sir, thanks alot for your comments, my doubt is whether an officer of the same organisation, but not designated PIO/APIO, located in the same city can receive RTI application from general public. Please guide

With regards

G.K.Anand

MANOJ B. PATEL

Dear member,

When you submit RTI application by hand or by post in concerned office it is not necessary to accept/receive it by only APIO/PIO but any employee can receive it.But out side the office no one can accept/receive the RTI application.

RAVEENA_O
Dear Sir,

As per provisions under RTI, many public sector entities have nominated PIO/APIOs etc at various levels to address RTI related issues. My doubt is whether such nominated officers alone need to handle RTI related issues of their respective organization or any office of the organization can accept the application form and forward it to PIO/APIO etc. Please guide me

As per section-5(1), every public authority shall designate as many PIOs in all its administrative units and officers, as may be necessary to provide information. As per Sec-5(2), every public authority shall designate an officer, at each sub-divisional level or other sub-district level as a APIOto receive the applications for information or appeals under RTI Act for forwarding the same to the PIO or Appellate Authority under sub-section (1) of section 19 or Information Commission.

As per Section-6(1) of the RTI Act, a person, who desires to obtain any information under RTI Act, shall make a request in writing or through electronic means in English or Hindi or in the official language of the area in which the application is being made, accompanying such fee as may be prescribed, to—

(a) the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, of the concerned public authority;

(b) the Central Assistant Public Information Officer or State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, specifying the particulars of the information sought by him or her

Conjunctive reading of the above provisions shall make it clear that the RTI Application is required to be submitted to the concerned PIO of the public authority.

An applicant can also submit the application to APIO of that public authority in its sub-division or sub-district.

In case there is no PIO or APIO in a particular area, the application can be submitted to APIO of Postal Department, who shall forward RTI application to the concerned CPIO.

In case the information sought in an application received by a public authority is closely connected with the functioning of another public authority, then, the application can be transferred to another public authority under section-6(3) of RTI Act.

Prasad GLN

I am surprised for so many posts/replies, when every Public Authority is having a website showing RTI information, any citizen can file application to the designated PIO by traditional post. Is there any thing to be further dragged as long, unending replies ? Applicant can directly send application to concerned and designated PIO directly by post is my opinion.

koteswararaonerella

mRGKAnand my comments were clear and answered your point.ANYBODY CAN RECEIVE YOUR APPLICATIONS SENT BY POST/DELIVERED DIRECTLY yet the reply need to be given by PIO/APIO only

- - - Updated - - -

gkanand

Respected Sirs/Mam, Thanks a lot for your kind & quality guidance. All your replies have helped me a lot in understanding the subject.

With Regards

Prasad GLN

Reply must be provided only by Public Information officer alone, or at the time of First Appeal, FAA may also provide information. (APIO is authorised only to receive/transfer/submit applications/appeals alone)