akhilesh yadav

UP: Streetlights missing, officials in dark

akhilesh yadav

Meerut: After his wife met with an accident near Begum Bagh in 2014, professor S K Ghai filed a Right to Information query asking the Nagar Nigam why street lights in some of the city's oldest areas have still not been fixed. Though Ghai filed the application in June 2014 and the RTI Act stipulates that replies must come within 45 days, he received his reply on June 23 - almost a year later.

While the Nagar Nigam said all dark spots mentioned in the query have been fixed since then, Ghai claims only one of them has been repaired.

"Last year, my wife was riding her scooter at night along the dark Chakbandi Road. A passerby inadvertently spat betel juice at her. In trying to avoid being spattered, she swerved to the side and fell into a drain. After the accident, I filed an RTI query asking the Nagar Nigam why street lights in the area were not working. Even though I should have received a reply within 45 days, I received one after a full year," Ghai, a professor of commerce at NAS Degree College told TOI.

Read more at: Streetlights missing, officials in dark - The Times of India

• Similar Content

• akanksha.chopra
      By akanksha.chopra
      Dear members

In response to a query, I received answer from the CPIO. However, when I asked for the file, I was told that it is missing. This office has back up copies of all important documents in electronic format. This includes scanned copies of the necessary papers and remarks by officials on what is called "noting sheets". They are willing to show me that and they are also willing to issue a certificate to the effect that these are genuine document copies and is a true reflection of the original documents. Can I insist that the original written papers should be produced in this situation? Very honestly speaking, I also believe that the electronic format papers are indeed genuine.

Regards

Akanksha
    • sidmis
      By sidmis
      Hello Forum Members,

I have been bowled over by most stubborn CAPIO/CPIO/AA of one of the leading Telecom Utility.

Every time I am asking for a file inspection I am being told that the particular file is "Not available" or "not readily traceable" carefully avoiding the words Missing or Lost.

See these Replies:

"From your letter under reference it is revealed that you were not satisfied by the above inspection due to the fact that the relevant information regarding the contents that appeared in website of BSNL, Cuttack during March-05 to Oct-05 were not shown to you as those were not available.
      The undersigned has deeply felt the gravity of your sentiments and has therefore taken due care of that in true sense of spirit. In this respect it is to intimate that sincere efforts are being made to collect the information from Adsoft Technologies, the website designer and Ex-SDE ( Computor), O/o GMTD, Cuttack. You will be intimated in due course of time if any information as to your queries are received by this office from the above sources."

After two months this reply:
      "While referring to this office letter as above on the captioned subject it is to intimate that inspite of sincere efforts made from different angles for collecting the information relating to the contents that appeared in the website of BSNL, Cuttack on Broad Band Service during March-05 lo Oct-05 . no fruitful results were obtained. This is for your kind information please." Here's another reply to another RTI Query:

"A-3. The information is not readily traceable, will be supplied if found subsequently.

A- 4 (A)&(B). No file is missed, lost or destroyed. The allegation is self made."

Please see the Contradictory Statements above. My previous Complaint / Appeals are pending with the CIC. No sign of early disposal.

I am at my wits end. Fellow members please guide me.

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy