News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
harinder dhingra

CIc orders Vijaya Bank training cum familiarization programme concerning RTI matters for all its officers.

harinder dhingra

Dear All,

I had sought some information about Vijaya Bank branches of Gurgaon City only for the period 1.4.2004 to 31.3.2014 . The learned CPIO denied all the information quoting section 8(1)(d)(e)(j) of RTI Act 2005. The denial was filmsy without application of mind. So much so, the information regarding name of Branch Manager was denied quoting section 8(1)(d) of RTI Act 2005.

Went for first appeal but to no use. Filed second appeal.

The Hon'ble Mr Sharat Sabharwal ordered the Bank to provide information except Complaints point.

The Hon'ble IC ordered and I quote -

5. Having gone over the response of the Respondents to the RTI application, we are

constrained to observe that they do not appear to be well versed in RTI matters.

Therefore, by virtue of the power vested in us under Section 19 (8) (a) of the RTI Act, we

direct the public authority to organise, at an early date, a training *cum *familiarization

programme concerning RTI matters for all its officers dealing with the subject.

Please note that this training *cum *familiarization programme concerning RTI matters is for all officers of the BANK.

Thanks for your time,

harinder dhingra

CIC_SH_A_2014_003148_M_159836.pdf

Edited by RAVEENA_O

karira

Please see a similar order of the CIC here:

http://www.rti.india.gov.in/cic_decisions/SM-26052009-01.pdf

The PA is Secunderabad Cantonment Board and decision is from May 2009 - about 5 years ago.

Paras 3 & 4 of the decision state:

"Besides, he also explained that there was a general lack of awareness

and knowledge among the Board officials about their role and responsibility in implementing this new law, and therefore, the delay. He submitted that, in the meanwhile, with the help of the Appellant himself, the Cantonment Board has organized training and awareness programmes for the staff and officers of the Board and the delivery of information has since improved considerably. On the issue of digitization of the records and proactive disclosure under Section 4 of the RTI Act the Respondent submitted that with the help of the Appellant, most of such information had since been placed in the website of the Board and a major digitization programme had been undertaken to convert all the hard data of the Board so that all of it could eventuallybe made available through their website. The Appellant very kindly offered to provide assistance to the Cantonment Board in its effort to improve the Right to Information mechanism.

We want to place on record our appreciation of the voluntary support extended by the Appellant to the Public Authority for improving the Right to Informationmechanism in that organization."

I spent 3 months of my own time, effort and money to get Sec 4 implemented in that PA, get a name board put up listing PIOs/FAA, etc etc....

Now fast forward years to 2014....the CEO of the public authority had changed twice in the meantime...

And now I have a second appeal against the same PA pending in the CIC.

Guess what was the information I asked for after 5 years ? Read below:

===========================

Date: 14 July 2014

Ref: RTI/SCB/002/2014

Dear Sir,

RE: Request for information under Sec 6(1) of the RTI Act 2005

I, C.J. Karira, a citizen of India, request you to provide me the following information, under Sec 6(1) of the RTI Act 2005:

1. Names , Designation, Office Telephone Number, Mobile Number and email Id’s of the

officers designated as CPIO (Central Public Information Officer) – as per Sec 5(1) of

the RTI Act 2005 – in the Secunderabad Cantonment Board (SCB)

2. Certified copy of the Office order / Notification / memo wherein the above officers (in

Item 1) have been designated as CPIOs

3. Name, Designation, Office Telephone Number and email id of the First Appellate

Authority (FAA), who hears first appeals under Sec 19(1) of the RTI Act 2005 in the

Secunderabad Cantonment Board

4. Certified copy of the Office order / Notification / memo wherein the above officer (in

Item 3) has been designated as First Appellate Authority (FAA)

5. The subject wise or area wise distribution of the work of CPIOs listed in item 1 above

6. Location of the Name Board showing details of the CPIOs and FAA of the Secunderabad

Cantonment Board as per Sec 4(1)(b)(xvi) read along with Sec 4(2), 4(3), 4(4) and the

“Explanation” at the end of Sec 4

Please find enclosed IPO Nr. 28F 992777 dated 14 July 2014 for Rs. 10.00 towards payment of application fee for this RTI application.

Thanking You,

(C J Karira)

Encl: IPO Nr. 28F 992777 dated 14 July 2014

==============

No reply to RTI application

No reply to first appeal

Now waiting in queue with the registry of the CIC (Total 12000 pending) !

====================

EXACTLY the same (ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto....) with Ministry of Railways and Ministry of Defence

(all decisions available on the CIC website)

====================

Now, Dhingraji......please frankly tell me, do you expect anything from such an order ?

==========

Lage Raho Munnabhai !

karira

Dhingraji,

I don't want to discourage you but please see the contents of the attached letter, sent to me

by Mr T K Mohapatra, DO with the then IC Deepak Sandhu - later, she went on to become the

Chief Information Commissioner:

CIC New India Assurance Sec 4.jpg

Now, please tell me, will I ever have the heart to look at Sec 4 again ?

Section 4 is only for the Commission and DoPT to allow retired ICs to make some extra money and perquisites by making committees after committees after committees after committees - like the recent one consisting of Ex ICs A N Tiwari and M A Ansari !

CIC reply regarding not hearing Sec 4 Complaints.pdf

Prasad GLN

I also failed in implementing the same from Andhra Bank and received same reply.

But Hon. Hd is different person in following up, where as we are vexed and left it as it is sheer waste of time and energy.

harinder dhingra

Learned Mr Karira Sir,

I have learnt RTI from people like you. If you think that we should not concentrate on section 4 then it must be with some sense of logic and experience and let us not do it. I have nothing to add.

hd

Learned Mr G L N Prasad Sir,

Sometimes I feel that you have more confidence in me than even I have in myself. I promise you that I would do every thing possible to see that this confidence of yours is not misplaced. kEEP bLESSING sIR,

HD

Prasad GLN

Hon.Hd. I beg your pardon, and in my personal view even some ICs should go for training, attend a written examination and then they should be appointed.

In one case the same IC has disposed the case stating that there is no LPI and even after applicant begged that LPI only applies only for exemptions and not for regular information, Hon IC has simply stated that he is not knowing full bench decision and dismissed the case.

That is why, I wish that any complicated matter should be referred to Hd. Saab alone, and his presence like Alchemy converts even basic metals to gold.

harinder dhingra

Learned Mr G L N Prasad Sir,

I entirely agree with you that even IC/s should go for training.

That is why, I wish that any complicated matter should be referred to Hd. Saab alone, and his presence like Alchemy converts even basic metals to gold.

Arre Sir, I have also spoiled cases by my immature dealings of appeals/Complaints.

hd