News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
D.T.RATHAVA

landmark judgment for deleted voters name to voter list

D.T.RATHAVA

hon/commissioner directed to pio (chief election officer)to pay compensation to appellant for not given any response to his RTI application within stipulated*time limit

CIC_SA_C_2015_000157_M_160487 voterlist.pdf

Prasad GLN

with due respects, Is this all required under RTI--16 pages decision on deemed denial...a Lecture by a Professor.....Has PIO has the time to read and understand the implications and ponder whether such big lecture is required only when the simple query is provided with response from PIO within statutory stipulated period.

Due to this, several citizens misunderstand IC, and may even think that he is showing his command over the subject and teachnical jargon when it is not required in a simple issue to decide whether information was provided or not . (Remember PA officials know about the trend of his decisions, and they have not even cared to attend hearing, but I could not find such mention of their absence as serious by Hon IC)

Further, kindly note that Hon IC has ordered PIO to provide information, though it is a complaint and also ordered for inquiry. (is this not violation of SC decision in Union of india Vs.Sikkim Govt)

So even this apex court judgment that complainant has no right for information is ignored. I have yet to see his prayers before IC for information as to whether appellant has sought information or not through his complaint.

Experts, Hon IC SA has opened a Pandora's box by ordering for providing of information against a complaint, and many ICs are not mentioning the prayers made in appeals/complaints.

karira
(is this not violation of SC decision in Union of india Vs.Sikkim Govt)

Just one technical correction....the SC judgment was State of Manipur

Prasad GLN

Hon. Karira , and other experts:

Please provide your opinion on the Law Professor's decision with specific reference to his order for providing information on complaint to CIC."

karira

Although the order is "noble", it is against the SC judgment that you mentioned (State of Manipur).

Information Commissioner has no powers to order disclosure of information while deciding a complaint.

That SC judgment was infact also incorrect, but no one challenged it - so it stands as it is. Whether wrong or right, everyone has to abide by that judgment.

MANOJ B. PATEL

The Hon'ble Supreme Court in CHIEF INFORMATION COMMISSIONER AND ANOTHER VS. STATE OF MANIPUR AND ANOTHER - AIR 2012 SC 864 has held that the Central Information Commission or the State Information Commission has no power under Section 18 to provide access to the information which has been requested for by any person but which has been denied to him. Remedy for such person, who has been refused information is provided under Section 19 of the Act. Nature of power under Section 18 is supervisory in character whereas procedure under Section 19 is appellate procedure and a person, who is aggrieved by refusal in receiving information, which he has sought for can only seek redress in manner provided in statute, namely, by following procedure under Section 19.

rameshverma
Although the order is "noble", it is against the SC judgment that you mentioned (State of Manipur).

Information Commissioner has no powers to order disclosure of information while deciding a complaint.

That SC judgment was infact also incorrect, but no one challenged it - so it stands as it is. Whether wrong or right, everyone has to abide by that judgment.

The Ld. IC has decided the issue under the illusion as if he has the mandate of a Constitutional Court (like HC/SC) constituted for enforcing statutory rights of citizens. Besides his erudite legal acumen, he chose to indulge in judicial indescipline by ruling against the law settled by Hon'ble SC in the judgment quoted in earlier part of this thread. He should have restricted himself to decide the issue of imposition of penalty or recommending desciplinary action against the PIO as is the mandate of Section 18 while deciding a complaint. It is rather curious that he, apart from directing providing of information, proceeded to award compensation while deciding the instant complaint which clearly is beyond his authority as compensation can only be awarded while deciding an appeal under Section 19. This decision, by all means, is illegal and it can not stand test of scrutiny before a superior court even in the first hearing. May good sense prevail on the Ld. IC.

I am also unable to fathom the approach of PIO in not responding to the the RTI query. The PIO simply should have supplied the relevant provision of RP Act and Rules, as they are existing on the Statute, in relation to deletion of names from the voter list and any reason in this specific case, if held in material form. Matter would have ended there and if carried in appeal or complaint before IC, his apprroach was bound to succeed. This, I say in the capacity of acting as a PIO for the last 10 years.

MANOJ B. PATEL

R/rameshverma sir is totally right as this decision, by all means, is illegal and it can not stand test of scrutiny before a superior court even in the first hearing.

karira

I am also unable to fathom the approach of PIO in not responding to the the RTI query. The PIO simply should have supplied the relevant provision of RP Act and Rules, as they are existing on the Statute, in relation to deletion of names from the voter list and any reason in this specific case, if held in material form. Matter would have ended there and if carried in appeal or complaint before IC, his apprroach was bound to succeed. This, I say in the capacity of acting as a PIO for the last 10 years.

The reason for PIO not replying is not so simple.....

EROs have outsourced the updation of electoral rolls. That is where political parties use "inducements" to block out voters en masse. That is where also mistakes are made.

Both the outsourcing of such work and the inducements are illegal and disclosing information would have brought that to light.

Hence, the PIO chose simply not to reply.

(I came to know all this from our member Late Mr Sharad Phadke. He was diligently following up on the large numbers of voters deleted, including himself, in Pune & Mumbai during the last Lok Sabha & Assembly elections in Maharashtra. Unfortunately there is no one after him to carry on his good work on this issue).

Prasad GLN

The same procedure was adopted by AP Govt in weeding out white ration cards (below poverty line). When there is a programme involving several officials with door to door survey and preparation of display etc., involving huge funds, without strictly adhering to that plan, they have disclosed their pass words to Ration Shop owners, and in turn they have passed it on to internet centers and gave the list to be weeded out and thus thousands of cards were deleted, without any record or reason.

BrilliantsSingh

Appreciate you Sir for bringing this to us

MANOJ B. PATEL

They will not compensate the applicant and will file W.P. against the order of IC.

Prasad GLN

Hon IC knows that and so he has given umpteen number of citations and authority can never go to HC, as they may also pass strictures as decision was so pucca to make it a land mark decision.

Now they will circulate this information to all their state counterparts and ask them to avoid such kind of problems. They have already done and what IC has stated is the procedure laid down by them only.

karira

Two threads on the same subject have been merged.

REQUEST TO ALL MEMBERS

Before starting a new thread PLEASE make sure that the same subject is not there in a existing thread.

It is very easy to post a new thread saying , Moderator will find the old thread and merge it.

It takes the Moderator nearly 3 minutes to merge two threads, after finding the old thread.

If any members memory is not good, please take the help of your "best friend" - Google !

Personally, if all of you help me in saving 3 minutes, the beneficiary will be some new RTI query poster, whom I can then guide for those 3 minutes.

sppataskar

A very good order passed by the CIC which will serve as guide for the voters as the summary revision of Electoral Rolls is going on.