News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
swarup_fci

Whether First Appeal is mandatory?

Question

swarup_fci

Whether First Appeal is must?

I have not been given the name and designation of first appellate authority by the CPIO despite specifically asked for it, in my RTI apllication. I have subsequently submitted a rejoinder to the CPIO stating that, since no first appellate authority has been mentioned in his reply I have no option but to appeal directly to the CIC and again requested to provide the information asked, which was not provided properly earlier, within stipulated time as per the Act. But no reply is received till date.

My question is: under this circumstance, can I make direct appeal to CIC or first appeal is mandatory?

13 answers to this question

rajub

Do you know any officer higher in rank than the PIO? If so you can file first appeal to him/her.

Do you at least know the head of the PA? If so you can file first appeal to him/her.

In all probability the appeal sent directly to CIC will be transfered to the head of the PA. There is no harm if this transfer happens immediately. But what if this transfer happens after 12 to 15 months?

So I would suggest find out the head of the PA and file first appeal to him.

If you cannot find out the head of the PA you may address the first appeal to head of the PA and post it to PIO with request to forward it to the head of PA. Please make a mention in the body of the appeal itself that this appeal is submitted to PIO with request to forward it to the head of PA.

Wait for 45 days for the reply and then file second appeal to CIC.

sandeepbaheti

You have the following options, listed in order of priority:

1) Search the website of the concerned PA. Ideally this information would be mentioned there.

2) Try visiting/ calling up the office to ask for the details of the AA.

3) Address your first appeal as:

To

Appellate Authority under RTI Act

c/o Head of Department

4) Send your first appeal to the head of that department, with a request to consider the appeal or transfer it to the appropriate officer. Also mark a copy of the appeal to PIO and add a note that since PIO was required to inform the details of AA and he has not done that, it is now the PIO's duty to forward the appeal to AA.

Do not appeal directly to CIC. In all probabilities the appeal will be returned with a direction to approach the FAA, that too after 7-8 months.

swarup_fci

Thanks to Rajub and sandeepbaheti. valuable suggestion indeed.

I would act accordingly. Thanks again.

karira

Besides all the suggestions given by Rajendra and Sandeep, you can also submit your First Appeal (or Second Appeal/Complaints also) to the APIO.

As per Sec 5(2) of the RTI Act:

2. Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), every public authority shall designate an officer, within one hundred days of the enactment of this Act, at each sub-divisional level or other sub-district level as a Central Assistant Public Information Officer or a State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, to receive the applications for information or appeals under this Act for forwarding the same forthwith to the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer or senior officer specified under sub-section (1) of section 19 or the Central Information Commission or the State Information Commission, as the case may be:

Provided that where an application for information or appeal is given to a Central Assistant Public Information Officer or a State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, a period of five days shall be added in computing the period for response specified under sub-section (1) of section 7.

RAVEENA_O

First Appeal is mandatory. You have to exhaust the legally available alternate remedy before approaching CIC.

swarup_fci

Thanks Karira Sir,

I've another small query.

Is there any difference between appeal and complaints?

I've definite proof that I've been given false information to my queries by the CPIO, besides some of the answers being incomplete and misleading. So will it be an appeal or a complaint.

karira

A complaint under Sec 18 can only be made directly to the CIC/SIC.

The process for appeal has to follow Sec 19(1) for First Appeal and if still aggrieved, a Second Appeal under Sec 19(3) to the CIC/SIC.

You can make a direct complaint to the CIC under Sec 18(1)(e) of the RTI Act.

However, it is always better to exhaust the route of First Appeal under Sec 19(1) , before you go to the CIC.

rajub

You can file second appeal u/s 19(3) and complaint u/s 18 in one application.

The first page (title or heading page) should mention appeal cum complaint.

Shri Karira has uploaded a speciman proforma of "second appeal cum complaint" in the thread "my first ever second appeal" started by me.

vaidya.keshav

@ swarup_fci

I reproduce here below a reply received from APIC which is self explanatory!

On scrutiny it is observed that the Appellant has not exhausted the provision of filing

1st appeal available u/s 19(1) of the RTI Act and also did not attest the enclosures as required

under Rule 4(1) of the Appeal Procedure Rules issued in GOMs.No.66, GA(I&PR-II)Dept.,

dated 25-02-2006.

The Hon’ble High Court of A.P., through orders in WP Nos.13902 of 2007 dated 02-07-2007,

WP No.5086 of 2008 dated 11-3-2008 and WP No.27825 of 2008 dated 3-12-2008 held that it is necessary for the applicants to exhaust the remedies provided u/s 19(1) & 19(3) of the RTI Act, 2005; and dismissed the writ petitions as the writ petitioners in those cases did not exhaust the provision of 1st appeal u/s 19(1) and 2nd appeal u/s 19(3).

Hence it is mandatory

ranjan1

My view is

Complaint u/s 18 is possible ( as incomplete - incorrect reply from PIO is well proven ) this will also not violate any provision of RTI Act

Regarding appeal why not file First appeal at the same address of PIO ( PIO can forward the appeal to appropriate officer )

karira
@ swarup_fci

I reproduce here below a reply received from APIC which is self explanatory!

On scrutiny it is observed that the Appellant has not exhausted the provision of filing

1st appeal available u/s 19(1) of the RTI Act and also did not attest the enclosures as required

under Rule 4(1) of the Appeal Procedure Rules issued in GOMs.No.66, GA(I&PR-II)Dept.,

dated 25-02-2006.

The Hon’ble High Court of A.P., through orders in WP Nos.13902 of 2007 dated 02-07-2007,

WP No.5086 of 2008 dated 11-3-2008 and WP No.27825 of 2008 dated 3-12-2008 held that it is necessary for the applicants to exhaust the remedies provided u/s 19(1) & 19(3) of the RTI Act, 2005; and dismissed the writ petitions as the writ petitioners in those cases did not exhaust the provision of 1st appeal u/s 19(1) and 2nd appeal u/s 19(3).

Hence it is mandatory

What were the grounds of Complaint that you made to APIC ?

What was the date of the above letter from APIC ?

On what date was your Complaint filed under Sec 18 with the APIC

Sec 18 and Sec 19 provide alternative means of approaching the Information Commission

One can approach the SIC/CIC under Sec 18, if any of the conditions laid down under Sec 18(1)(a) to (e) are met.

Please see this order from APIC itself (by the way, the said Complaint was against the PIO of APIC !):

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/55505-direct-complaints-under-sec-18-must-admitted-heard-inquired-into-state-information-commission.html

Dr. M. Faiyazuddin
A complaint under Sec 18 can only be made directly to the CIC/SIC.

The process for appeal has to follow Sec 19(1) for First Appeal and if still aggrieved, a Second Appeal under Sec 19(3) to the CIC/SIC.

You can make a direct complaint to the CIC under Sec 18(1)(e) of the RTI Act.

However, it is always better to exhaust the route of First Appeal under Sec 19(1) , before you go to the CIC.

Is it 18(1)C or 18(!)e ? Please see.

karira

I've definite proof that I've been given false information to my queries by the CPIO, besides some of the answers being incomplete and misleading. So will it be an appeal or a complaint.

Is it 18(1)C or 18(!)e ? Please see.

For Incomplete, Incorrect and Misleading information, it will be 18(1)(e).

18.1.e. who believes that he or she has been given incomplete, misleading or false information under this Act; and