News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
jasmin.core

Police does not accept witness other then listed in Passport Application

Question

jasmin.core

Hello,

I have just applied for the fresh passport. And the application is in process of Police verification. I have completed almost procedure for the same.

But due to some inconvenience, I'm not able to present the witness I have listed in the Passport application. I have requested to give extension to present the witness. But Police rejectes my requeste and saying that "you have to present your withness same day today which you have listed in your application". What should I do?

8 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

Request them for more time , stating your inability to present them as their verification is without advance notice, or ask them to complete their verification through some other witnesses as those witnesses are not available. You know why they are demanding, and what they are capable of processing it even without such witness. Those are not witnesses in strict sense, but only references. The only option is bargain and fulfill their demands.

jasmin.core

I tried all the things you advised. I tried to present another witness they accepted one but did not another. They told that one of the witness must be present compulsory at given time. I don't know what they want. Do you think I should offer a bribe?

Prasad GLN

Bribe ? Is there any such a word in India ? Call it some other name "khushee se" "toofa or najarana". Members of this forum can not think or decide any thing. Madad mango - asli chehera saamne ayaga. Seek their duty as a favour to you.

The problem is even if they are present, they may raise new objections, inventing some thing. Atleast a dozen persons might have given my reference , but not even one time, any police has even called me to inquire atleast by phone.

Edited by G.L.N. Prasad

RAVEENA_O

Presenting witness is not a mandatory requirement in police verification. Generally they call the applicant to the Special Cell of the Police Station. Applicant has to show original certificates - Birth Certificate issued by the Municipality/Panchayat, School Leaving Certificate, SSC/HSC Certificates, Degree Certificate and Photo ID i.e. Driving Licence, Photo ID issued by Employer, Aadhar Card etc. and give them an attested xerox copy of these documents and 2-3 PP size photographs and required to sign certain standard formats prepared by them.

jasmin.core

Hi Raveena,

They are not accepting my request. But still, I'm not able to present the witness before this Friday. What would they do when I go to present the witness on Friday? Also that day before would they take such action e.g Adverse/reject passport verification?

RAVEENA_O

How can we say about their reaction in advance? You may present the witness on Friday. If they reject, you may approach the SP Special Branch at your District HQ.

jasmin.core

Okay, I got my passport.!

Without paying a bribe. And without present witness listed on Passport Application.

So it is clear that if you are true then you may present any "one" witness for Passport verification.

What I did was Police were forced me to present witness listed on Passport Application but I did not give any reply to them.

But still, they submitted the clear report to IP office within two days after verification date.

Prasad GLN

Congratulations.

The lessons.

1)Do not apply for passport in a hurry and have it leisurely.

2)Your urgency may be encashed by others.

3.Be confident that Police verification should be on facts and they have to make independent verification and references are always references and not mandatory.

4)Do'nt yield. They may delay but can not deny when you have nothing to hide and clear.

5.Do not be perturbed by small happenings and be study in approach.