askingston69

Protocol followed by Karnataka State Police to stop the forciable marriage

Question

askingston69

Dear RTI Activists,

I am planning to drop a RTI application to the Karnataka State Police (KSP) to know the protocol followed by them when there a complaint on arranging a marriage forcibly.

Background: Some time back Engagement had happened without the presence and knowledge of the bridegroom. Both side parents, relatives and leaders were present during the engagement and all agreed for the marriage verbally (no written agreement). This all happened threatening and pressuring parents. Later, when bridegroom was not agreeing for the marriage and parents decided to convey same thing to the leaders and parents of bride, but none of them were ready to listen and just wanted to proceed with the marriage. Hence, it was decided and approached a police station to help the bridegroom's family to stop a forcible marriage when bride side parents and leaders are forcing the bridegroom's parents. But police was always infavour of bride and threatened of filing a criminal case against parents of bridegroom and bridegroom and arrest them immediately. Hence, this pressure/threatening forced the bridegroom's parents to take back the complaint and agreed for resolving the issue in presence of the leaders. But leaders did not listen and the problem did not get resolved. But police has closed the complaint by saying the problem was resolved in the presence of the leaders. However, bridegroom or his parents are not in the position to again approach the police station for the same reason. Presently I am thinking to collect information before going for next step. I already applied for the RTI to know the status of the complaint. For this I am planning to apply another RTI application to the KSP to know the protocol followed by them to resolve this kind of problems in general. Hence, I need your helpful suggestions to write an RTI application with following details:

(1) whether I can apply for RTI for this kind of issues to the KSP?

(2) what are information I can seek from the KSP in general to understand the procedure followed by the Police?

(3) what additional information I can seek from other PIOs?

I also welcome the suggestions from all activists to resolve this problem even the suggestions are not related to the RTI application.

Thank you.

9 answers to this question

Sunil Ahya

You will need to file a RTI application addressed to the Public Information Officer (PIO) of the Police Station where the complaint was filed.

You can seek a photocopy of the complaint registered and the documents generated as a result of action taken on your complaint.

Kindly refer to the following blog for help in drafting queries for seeking information on the action taken on the complaint:

Long Pending issues with Govt. - Use RTI

Prasad GLN

Also you can make a fresh complaint to Supdt of Police stating facts and for stopping the marriage without mutual consent and with coercion.

askingston69
You will need to file a RTI application addressed to the Public Information Officer (PIO) of the Police Station where the complaint was filed.

You can seek a photocopy of the complaint registered and the documents generated as a result of action taken on your complaint.

Kindly refer to the following blog for help in drafting queries for seeking information on the action taken on the complaint:

Long Pending issues with Govt. - Use RTI

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind reply along with a link, which will be very much helpful for me. I already filed a RTI but did not get any reply till now. I feel SPIO may not respond for that. Mean time I wanted to know exact protocol followed by the Police department (not from the same police station) through the RTI. Is it allowed to go for a second RTI application instead of First Appear with few changes (some points can be included from the link provided by you). Please suggest accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply. I thought of approaching the SP but same problem may repeat (i.e., threatening or filing wrong cases against us) from the SP too as most of the times there will be understanding between the Police. More ever, the police officer dealt with this complaint promoted and he is presently working at SP office as DSP.

CHITTABARIK

If the PIO doesn't reply within 30 dayz of receiving your application, you can apply to FAA. NO need to go for another RTI.

Sent from my SM-G550FY using RTI INDIA mobile app

Sunil Ahya

You can always file another RTI application with the Public Information Officer (PIO) of a different Police Station.

You can also file another RTI with the PIO of the same Police Station, provided the fresh RTI is different from the earlier one.

askingston69

Thank you. I will go with a First Appeal in case if I will not receive a reply after 30 days.

If the PIO doesn't reply within 30 dayz of receiving your application, you can apply to FAA. NO need to go for another RTI.

Sent from my SM-G550FY using RTI INDIA mobile app

askingston69

Dear all,

Today I received a reply from the SPIO, but the information was not provided (rejected) on the ground that the information sought was in question form. My RTI application had four points in question form out of 28 points. But the SPIO did not supply any information even other points are not in question forms. The SPIO also copied the reply to the FAA.

Please advise me whether

(1) I have to file a new RTI application or

(2) File a First Appeal to the FAA. I may need decisions of the CIC or SIC on similar cases to justify my RTI application in this regard, or

(3) file a complaint directly to the SIC as the FAA is already aware of the reply from the SPIO and also there is a possibility of upholding the decision of SPIO by FAA or

(4) Is it permitted (legally) to file a First appeal and also apply for a fresh RTI application to the same SPIO by modifying the current application for the same information?

Thank you.

Prasad GLN

We always advise members to seek information avoiding the interrogatory queries and to confine to one issue and not to seek information in the form of essays.

Unless the information solicited is not known, it is difficult to guide.

Please post the following in this post.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Information solicited....Information provided.......Reasons for your disagreement

____________________________________________________________________________________

RAVEENA_O
(1) I have to file a new RTI application or

File First Appeal before the designated first appellate authority on the ground that there were only 4 questions, but information on remaining 24 remaining items were not supplied by the PIO. Information is thus denied without justified reasons. Direct the PIO to supply the information within 10 days of decision of this appeal.

(2) File a First Appeal to the FAA. I may need decisions of the CIC or SIC on similar cases to justify my RTI application in this regard, or

No such citation is required at First Appeal Stage, especially since they don't understand the importance of precedence.

(3) file a complaint directly to the SIC as the FAA is already aware of the reply from the SPIO and also there is a possibility of upholding the decision of SPIO by FAA or

Wait for the FAA decision i.e. 30 to 45 days. If the FAA orders to supply information on 24 points or even after direction from FAA the PIO refuse to comply, all those points can be taken care of in your proposed complaint. You can file Second Appeal as well as complaint, depending upon the situation.

(4) Is it permitted (legally) to file a First appeal and also apply for a fresh RTI application to the same SPIO by modifying the current application for the same information?

Yes, you can file First Appeal and at the same time file fresh RTI application with corrected / modified queries.