News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
Abhijit Ghosal

Misbehaviour and abusive language used by FAA during an eyewash Hearing Procedure

Question

Abhijit Ghosal

Though I had participated in several First Appeals and Second Appeals of RTI, I had a terrible experience on 12th July, last week, at the Hearing of my Appeal at Kolkata Municipal Corporation. I had been trying to get some information on irregularities in recruitment at Kolkata Municipal Corporation in 2014. Despite my sending 5 RTI Applications and 3 Appeals during the last 3 years, they did not send me correct information, which I was seeking. Nor did they provide me any Hearing on the Appeals. On my notice to the FAA in May 2017 that I would go for second Appeal to SIC, they called me for a Hearing, asking me to reach there singly, in person (though one is allowed another person /lawyer to asist, and personal attendance is not necessary, i.e. one can send any authorised representative for the RTI Appeal-Hearing), after Office Hours (5 PM). Accordingly, I reached on time, and was made to wait for 20 minutes, seated on a corridor. I was called in, at 5.15 pm.99% of the employees had left the Municipility premises by then. The Clerks asked me to deposit all mobiles and all pens too, before entering the room of the FAA. Thereafter, though there were 5 other persons in the room, the FAA did not allow or ask anybody else to speak a word, and he made me sign the attendance sheet as soon as I entered his room, and then told me that no further information would be given to me.Thereafter, on my commenting that the Hearing was just a farce, an eyewash, the FAA started abusing me with the dirtiest way possible, he called me "son of a swine' and ordered "Get Out".I had to make a quiet exit.

I realised later, the reason why I was asked to visit the FAA alone, in person, and all recording devices and pens even (fearing of Spy Cameras therein) were taken away from my possession, before admitting me to the room of the FAA. The abuse at the Hearing was pre-planned. How to confront the abuse of the RTI Act?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Priya De
      By Priya De
      A biennial study conducted by Satark Nagrik Sangathan and Centre for Equity Studies has revealed a grim picture of RTI Act implementation with waiting time at information commissions running in years and commissions in several states becoming non-functional owing to unfilled vacancies. The study has found that if an RTI appeal were to be filed in West Bengal state information commission on November 1, 2017, it would be disposed of in 2060 – after 43 years. In Kerala, it would take six years six months and Odisha 5 years 3 months. The main reason for such a long waiting time is the reduced number of information commissioners that commissions are working with. 
      The report has brought out, what it calls a “concerning trend”. The information commissions, which are the last resort for the common man to complain against wrongful denial of information, are increasingly returning cases. The highest number of cases have been returned by CIC, followed by Gujarat, Assam and Uttarakhand.
    • Ajit Borade
      By Ajit Borade
      Hi, i recently filed a dozen of rti applications to charity commsioner Osmanabad, 6 applications to Passport office Pune, 4 applications to post office pune, 4 applications to SBI bank etc. I have developed a special penchant for filing multiple applications.
      And I am preparing for a long and gruelling battle against government machinery.
      In one of my application, I asked the Pune head post office about the day wise figures of IPOs sold across the counter of each of the post office that falls under their jurisdiction. I reply, they said that this information is of the nature of TRADE SECRET and therefore exempted. Hence they declined to provied the information. I appead to the Appleat Authority and they upheld my appeal and directed the CPIO to provide the aforesaid information to me after charging the requisite fees. Now the PIO has written to me asking me to deposit Rs. 1010/- towards 505 pages of information.
      My Question is ===>
      As the PIO had earlier denied information to me, and it is several days past the mandatory 30 days period to provide the information, am I not eligibe to get the said information free of cost ?
      As per my understanding , there is certain clause in RTI act which says that information should be provided free of cost if it is delayed beyond 30 days period.
      I invite suggestions from RTI comrades.
      - Ajit
      (Posting of mob. no. is against forum rules-hence deleted)

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy