ganpat1956

Prisons Dept ducks RTI query on Dutt

ganpat1956

An applicant who filed a request with Assistant Public Information Officer (APIO) V V Sagade of State Department of Prisons for information on Sanjay Dutt's period of stay in Yerawada Central Prison under the Right to Information Act has been asked to approach the jail.

According to Section 6 (3) of the RTI Act, the request should have been transferred to the PIO of the jail and the applicant informed about such a transfer. The application seeking information on Dutt's stay in the jail was submitted to the State Department of Prisons on August 29. However, APIO Sagade, in his reply on September 11, asked the applicant to file a separate RTI query with PIO Yerawada Central Jail. He said information on every prisoner was unavailable with the department and hence the information sought could not be provided.

Sagade added that the RTI Act 2005 states that when a citizen submits an RTI application to a wrong public information officer, he should be directed to the information officer concerned of the department. "You are requested to file a personal RTI application to PIO of Yerawada Central Jail and obtain the information concerned," said the letter.

Veteran RTI activist Shahid Raza Burney said: "It is a totally wrong method adopted by the department. It is a clear-cut violation of the RTI Act. Such an attitude reflects poor knowledge of the officials when it comes to application of mind."

Indian Express news at : Prisons Dept ducks RTI query on Dutt - Yahoo! India News

ganpat1956

Maharashtra Prison Dept. open to information about Dutt's Yeravada stay

Pune, Sept. 18 (PTI): The Maharashtra Prisons Department has no reservations about furnishing any information regarding the three-week stay of actor Sanjay Dutt in Yeravada jail in August following his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, a top official said today.

Reacting to a media report that the department has directed an activist seeking information under the Right to Information (RTI) Act to the jail authorities at Yeravada, Satish Mathur, Inspector-General of Prisons Maharashtra, told PTI here that the prisons department was not supposed to have day-to-day briefing on every inmate lodged in various jails in the state.

"Whatever information is permissible under the RTI Act regarding the stay of inmates can be given to those who seek it. But the applicant should approach the proper authorities," he said, adding "in every case, rules stipulated in the jail manual are followed by the authorities without making any exception for so called high profile convicts."

Yeravada jail Superintendent, Rajendra Dhamne said he had not received any communication under the RTI Act from any quarters, including state Prisons Department, seeking details of Dutt's stay behind bars.

The Bollywood star is currently out on bail.

The Hindu News Update Service

This appears more of a face-saving measure on the part of the Prison dept. of Maharashtra. Instead, they should concentrate on educating their PIOs/APIOs with regard to the RTI Act.--Ganpat

• Similar Content

• Shree Vathsan
      By Shree Vathsan
      I had sought details of loan and copies of agreement entered with World Bank, JICA etc. of IT Expressway Chennai (created in partnership with Govt of TN) However the PIO has replied that they have moved out of world bank loan and taken loan from other banks details of which cannot be disclosed under 8(1) d of RTI Act citing "commercial confidence".
      However the IT Expressway is a public limited company having entered into agreement with Govt of TN and others for developing and maintaining a particular stretch of road.

Kindly help me frame a good first appeal.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

• shrivar1212
      By shrivar1212
      Hello,
      I require help on co-operative issue. I had filed the RTI with the PIO, Dy registrar of co-op societies seeking information on affairs of society.
      The PIO has replied stating that the information I am seeking is available with co-operative society. My query is:
      1] Can PIO direct an applicant to private body for information?
      2] The society in question comes under the jurisdiction of the PIO, since PIO is public authority and co-operative society a private body, is it not duty of PIO to seek information from society and give it to me? How can PIO direct me back to society? This is RTI application, either I have to appeal or I have to forego. I cannot complaint against reply. So I want to approach FAA, under what grounds can I?
      3] What kind of violation PIO has committed by directing me back to private society? 
      4] Does co-operative society come under the purview of RTI ACt?
      Your views are appreciated. I am fighting lone battle with corrupt system. 

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy