Jump to content
  • 0




My wife was known as "KM. GARIMA / Garima Pandey / Garima" before my-marriage & some of her educational-certificates reflect km. garima, some garima pandey & some reflect GARIMA. BUT; from now onwards, i want her name in all the future educational certificates as GARIMA PANDEY MISHRA (i.e., her post-marriage name) is it possible ?

[I have updated her-name in her aadhaar-card also.]

Iam asking this question because, recently i visited a government college for her admission in a POST GRADUATE DEGREE course & the college officials were insisting that i should fill her name as per her 10th-marksheet and continue the same. 

First of all, am i insisting on something wrong ? 

if not; then should i file an RTI seeking information that - "why can't i use my spouse after-marriage name, to be mentioned in all the future educational documents/certificates" 

OR; should i file an RTI seeking information that - "what i need to do to use my spouse after-marriage name, to be mentioned in all the future educational documents/certificates" 

KINDLY GUIDE/SUGGEST ME some more alternatives, regarding this issue. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Prasad GLN

If such name change is as per laid down procedure under law, you can question.

But, if you have on your own created some documents later with such name they may be correct for such specific purposes.

But for educational qualifications the name mentioned in qualification certificate is alone taken into consideration, as AADHAR etc., are not the basis for getting admission in PG.  For Date of birth, name, 10th certificate is the basis and not any other identity certificates.

Contact Advocate and get the name changed legally or she can go back to her old name for getting admission into the course, as it takes time for changing name legally.

Members of the forum can not suggest any alternates when the law is specific that a name change should be published in Gazette, and for the purpose of educational qualifications, Name mentioned in qualification certificates alone should be considered.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Sunil Ahya

For change of name you will have to follow the specific procedure laid down by the particular State Government.

Kindly google with the following keywords:

Name change procedure in "XXXX" State (replace XXXX with the name of your State, for example, Maharashtra, Gujarat etc.)

Once you have completed the above procedure, you should be able to apply for PG admission with new name by enclosing documents made during the above procedure.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • jngautam
      By jngautam
      My current name is Jagar Nath Gautam. I want to change my name. I am 22 years old, a student of Delhi University final year. apart from it, i m working with LIC of india as an insurance agent. I do hold a pan card.
      How can i change my name?
      Can I change my name in all the above?
      What about name in my further education i.e. in PG etc. will they accept my new name or i will have to continue with the old one???
    • asinha63
      By asinha63
      Can I access Any state Name change gazette onoline ?
      Is there any website for the same.


  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy