News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
rtipatrol

Information on software bugs

Question

rtipatrol

Sir,

In TN State, online services like patta transfers, voter ID,aadhar  use software designed and managed by NIC(National Informatics Centre). Very often the eseva staff state that nic servers are down. There are many software bugs in Patta Transfer software developed by NIC.The software throws lot of errors.We can view those errors from the monitor placed for public view. The staff at eseva state that they have reported or raised complaints with nic regarding software bugs and errors and awating for correction. Also manual patta transfer applications are not allowed as per policy guidelines of State Government. People got to wait for NIC to fix bugs and errors. In this regard, I'd like to seek information from NIC,Chennai regarding number of complaints raised regarding bugs,errors,defects in  patta transfer software in the state of TN,their status,action taken,bugs fixed by NIC etc.Please advice

Edited by rtipatrol
Spell Error

6 answers to this question

Sunil Ahya

yes, you can always seek such information.

Please refer to section 2(f) which defines "information"

"information" means any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form

• Like 1

rtipatrol

Thank you Sir.

I need to file RTI with NIC,Guidelines on drafting RTI with technicalities might force NIC to resolve errors quickly,release patches for bugs and help the public to avail uninterrupted online e-seva services.

I'd like to seek information on the date of launch of software,whether compliance audit was done, testing done prior to release, number of complaints raised by state government regarding software bugs, no of patches and release done by NIC,their resolution time ,officer responsible for receiving complaints and bug fixetc.

compliance audit NIC.png

complaice 1.png

rtipatrol

Sir,

I raised a complaint with NIC ,Chennai regarding the bugs in web application developed by NIC for Patta transfer services and website being down for most of the time.Initially,I raised a complaint orally regarding the error messages  along with screenshots to the State Government Survey Dept and local NIC office.They forwarded the complaint  to NIC,Chennai. Further, I raised a complaint vide CPGRAMS ,email and FAX to NIC Chennai .NIC provided a reply wherein it was noted that they have received a report In Tamil Nilam (Urban) Application, one issue in the input was reported to NIC and they are working on it

After 20 days, I filed an RTI seeking the following information. Also ,I've mentioned that there is a larger public interest as patta services are delayed and denied to public because of errors and bugs in we application developed by NIC

1. Provide certified copy of complaints received by NIC,Chennai regarding errors and bugs in Tamil Nilam Web application during the period 1st April to May 15th,2018, and  action taken on complaints

PIO Reply: No official complaint was received by NIC,

2. Please provide certified copy of report on software patches,bug fixes and upgrades with respect to Tamil Nilam Application for Urban and Rural Users

PIo Reply: Denied under Section 8(1)(d) and No larger Public interest is served in providing this information

Pls advice on grounds on Appeal if appilcable

The RTI was filed online and the reply was provided by NIC in a plain paper without from and to address, almost blank as follows.Even the reply for CPGRAMS complaint was very blank with no FROM and TO address

3.png

Sunil Ahya

A PIO cannot simply cite an exemption provision of RTI Act and deny information but he has to justify, howsoever brief, as to how the cited exemption provision is applicable to the requested information.

Please refer to the blog on the following link and prepare your grounds of first appeal:

Justifications / Reasons for denial under RTI

spacebreeze
Posted (edited)

Errors in the software may be due to the fact that the drivers are outdated. Update and everything should work well. You can use for it Driver Booster. In my opinion, Driver Booster is a wonderful product. And this think is based on my experience. I have installed and used the program on hundreds computers and laptops. I have the business - a repair PCs. It is comfortably and saves a lot of the time. Somebody speak about offering many other programs when Booster is installing. Yes, It is advertising, and i do not like it too, but i understand it. You must always check all pages of the installing and uncheck that all offers. And this is correct for all programs, not only for Driver Booster. Use manually installing. Thank you for the attention.

Edited by spacebreeze