- RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
- 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
- The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
- Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
- Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
The consumer protection act provides right to information as one of its rights. Can a person who applies for information under RTI be considered a consumer.
Nagpur: An RTI reply revealed that these courts are doing what they’re meant for by deciding about 48% of the cases in consumers’ favours in the last two years. About 19% cases went against them during the same period. Consumer forums have been established for ensuring justice to the customers and address their grievances.
A reply by public information officer (PIO) of District Consumer Grievances Redressal Forum here revealed that it collected a revenue of over Rs4 lakh and slapped a fine of Rs2.90 lakh on violators from January 1, 2016 to February 28 this year. He, however, didn’t provide any information on a query on pending cases posed by RTI activist Abhay Kolarkar.
The forum received about 1,604 cases from January 1, 2016 to February 28 this year. Of them, 799 complaints were received in 2016, of which 395 were settled in favour of the consumers and 143 against them. In 2017, about 617 complaints were instituted, of which 317 were decided in consumers’ favour while 140 went against them. This year till February end, the forum received 188 complaints of which 57 were settled in favour of the complainants and 14 against them