Prinoy Dhar

Stolen mobile

Question

Prinoy Dhar

In any way would RTI helps me finding my stolen mobile phone??

6 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

A citizen  has a right to  seek information that is available in material form, and not exempted, .. from Public Authorities under RTI Act.

Member who lost the phone should provide details of the phone and make a written complaint to jurisdictional police station (The place where it was lost) and also inform service provider to disable the SIM.

Police may take action as per their laid down procedure and chances of getting it are remote.   Now police are equipped with latest equipment like GPS location and a separate cyber crime cell, depending on features of your phone may be in a position to track, if there were calls from the phone with same SIM.

Prinoy Dhar
10 hours ago, Prasad GLN said:

A citizen  has a right to  seek information that is available in material form, and not exempted, .. from Public Authorities under RTI Act.

Member who lost the phone should provide details of the phone and make a written complaint to jurisdictional police station (The place where it was lost) and also inform service provider to disable the SIM.

Police may take action as per their laid down procedure and chances of getting it are remote.   Now police are equipped with latest equipment like GPS location and a separate cyber crime cell, depending on features of your phone may be in a position to track, if there were calls from the phone with same SIM.

I have submitted all the relevant information to the police with written complaint, now I want to know if they are really tracking my phone with GPS technology or not?

Prasad GLN

Search website of the police, locate Public information officer, format of RTI application and mode of remitting fees and seek simple information as follows:

Subject: Stolen Mobile of ..........................FIR No............................dt.....................

Information solicited

1.Please provide day to day action taken for tracing the mobile.

2.Please inform present status of investigation.

Prinoy Dhar
1 hour ago, Prasad GLN said:

Search website of the police, locate Public information officer, format of RTI application and mode of remitting fees and seek simple information as follows:

Subject: Stolen Mobile of ..........................FIR No............................dt.....................

Information solicited

1.Please provide day to day action taken for tracing the mobile.

2.Please inform present status of investigation.

Can you please help me finding the right PIO or the organisation address? I lost my phone at Panvel railway station for which I have filed an fir at Panvel railway police station.

Prasad GLN

The forum space is precious and unnecessary quotes a post so large and members are constrained of time.  Please avoid quoting.

While seeking guidance read what was stated in one or two lines and value the time and guidance also.  Members are spread over entire country and it is not possible to take case by case guidance state wise.  Members can show you a direction through guidance and you have to undertake the journey yourself.

The few words in first sentence iare Search website of Police....You have ignored and wanted some one to do it for you.

Further while posting a query, you have to post bare minimum details and making several posts with piece meal information becomes difficult to go through all posts.  Railways police are Central Government authority, and there is no format of application and fees have to be remitted by postal order fvg. Accounts Officer, ..............Railway (Central/Western)

Here other members guide, so that new entrants can put forth some effort, learn themselves and teach RTI to atleast one.

If you do not have time to make efforts to trace in your own mobile, you can not expect that focus from police as they are always busy and have priorities.

If you can not trace the PIO, write application and send the cover to Station house Officer, Panvel Railway Police station without writing on envelope Public information officer etc.,  I do not know whether Railway Police are having such Cyber crime implements / machinery but you can atleast hear progress.

Please do not expect miracles and tracing such mobiles is most difficult and they may not take such drastic step, ;but as complainant we have to make minimum effort without expecting speedy and positive results.

Edited by Prasad GLN

Sunil Ahya

1. You can successfully file a RTI application for seeking action taken report on your lost mobile.

You will need to enclose an Indian Postal Order of Rs. 10/- along with the RTI application.

File the following RTI application by addressing it as follows (please note you do not need to mention the name of the Public Information Officer):

To,

The Public Information Officer,

Panvel Railway Police Station,

Address of the Panvel Railway Police Station

Subject Matter of Information:

Lost Mobile phone (MRNO - XXXX/ 2018 ; dated XX-XX-2018 )

I Mr. XX (Applicant) had given a written complaint application at Panvel Railway Police Station, which is enclosed copy here with (MRNO - XXXX/ 2018 dated XX-XX-2018 )

Description of Information Required:

With reference to subject matter:

(i)    Copy of Daily progress made on complaint dated XX-XX-2018.

(ii)    Names, designations and office addresses of officials with whom complaint was lying and details of action taken by him/her.

(iii)     File Notings held on complaint.

(iv)    List of complaints received against mobile phone theft/ lost in your office in Last one year.

(v)    Copy of rules or citizens charter etc., number of days in which compliant should have been dealt.

(vi)     If officials have not adhered to time limit mentioned in rules, Please give a copy of their conduct rules and details of action taken by controlling authority against erring officials.

(vii)    In case no action has been initiated (ref. point vi), the reasons be made known to me, with contact details of controlling authority of these officials.

(viii)    Copy of records of employees of your office against whom disciplinary/departmental action was initiated in last one year.

2. If you face any difficulty in filing the RTI application come back to the forum and we will guide you further.

3. Wait for 30 days after filing the RTI and if you do not hear from PIO or If the PIO has replied and you are not satisfied with that reply come back to the forum and we will guide you further.