Sadanand Bhisaji Panchal

The SPIO of Police sent Reply to my RTI Application that required CCTV Footage applied for specific time interval is not available in his record.

Question

Sadanand Bhisaji Panchal
Posted (edited)

Respected Sir,

Event: Police taken me to the Police  station on false complaint of lady on 27/11/2018  at 20:00 hours. Compelled me to stand before the Station house officer till 23:30 hours and when the complaint found to be false, released me. As per Maharashtra Government G. R. No. CCT-3615/PRA KRA. 130/POLA-3 dated 26/03/2018 all rooms including custody except ladies Police rooms are under CCTV Surveillance. As per said G. R., data of CCTV Footage of custody must be stored for one year and in general the data must be stored for three months. If the specific CCTV Footage is reported to store, then same must be stored for one year. Therefore I made Application under RTI Act before the State Public Information Officer of the Senior Inspector of Police for providing the CCTV Footage of the time period specified therein.

I received the Reply of the SPIO that the required data of the CCTV Footage is not available with the Police Station.

Please guide me whether I file First Appeal or Complaint before the Superior Authorities. Kindly provide me grounds for that purpose.

Thanks,

Regards,                    

Sadanand Panchal   

Edited by Sadanand Bhisaji Panchal
Particulars of the referred G. R. were not mentioned.

5 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

File another fresh RTI to Supdt of Police seeking information from him as follows:

Information solicited:

1)Please provide me the copy of report about malfunctioning of CCTV footage at ........station.

2.Please provide the status report informing the following.

a)Date of installation.

b)Guarantee cover or Annual contract from ...to....

c)Name of the technical concern that received such report.

d)Date when attended to the complaint.

e)Total no. of days expensive system is not functioning in the PS.

f)In how many stations CCTV are frequently failing, providing names of such stations.

g)Name of the contractor that installed such malfunctioning CCTV and the cost charged by him.

i)The time frame  fixed for attending such repairs as per the contract...

• Thanks 1

Sadanand Bhisaji Panchal

@Prasad GLNThanks! but I first filed RTI before the Senior Inspector of Police. The Public Information Officer is The Assistant Police commissioner in our area for seeking information from the Senior Police Inspector or the Deputy Commissioner of Police. I cannot file RTI directly. 

Prasad GLN

A citizen in fact is not bothered about the exact designated official in one public authority.  Any officer that receives the letter should immediately (Forthwith) forward that application to the custodian PIO of in the same public authority. (Custodian of such records)  Once you send it to SP, when it is forwarded from CP, the application is having more weight.  Do not write any designation of RTI in envelope and just state the official designation of highest authority (Commissioner of Police in your case)

Sunil Ahya

A RTI application is to be filed with a Public Information Officer,  any other designations are not important. Please make sure that your RTI application is addressed as follows:

To,

The Public Information Officer,

XX Public Authority,

Address of the XX Public Authority.

Prasad GLN

File RTI Application in prescribed format, but if Public information officer is not designated in that office, they may refuse to receive the envelope.  Hence, always write on Envelope the Head of the Authority of that office without mentioning RTI designation.  Once the envelope is accepted, they are bound to endorse the same to concerned designated Public Information officer.