Question

Shree Vathsan

Dear all My RTI to a police station requesting for details on patrol vehicles in that particular station is rejected under sec 8(1)g. Now i want to file a first appeal. What would be the grounds and prayer for the appeal?

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using RTI INDIA mobile app

4 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

Grounds for appeal: SPIO has simply rejected information stating sec.8 1 (g) without justifying how providing the copy of patrol vehicles' log book can endanger the life or physical safety of any person or identity of the source of information or assistance given in confidence for the Police.  In absence of justification, a simple rejection of information stating exemption amounts to deliberate and malafide as per several CIC decisions.  Hence this first appeal seeking for justification of SPIO applying for such exemption, and expressing the opinion that the exemption applied by SPIO is not justified through any stretch of the imagination.

Prayer:  Appellant prays either for providing justification for applying such exemption or direct SPIO to provide the information free of cost as expeditiously as possible as a simple copy of logbook maintained as a public record cannot be treated as exempt.

Edited by Prasad GLN
  • Like 1

Shree Vathsan
On 1/13/2019 at 1:24 PM, Prasad GLN said:

Grounds for appeal: SPIO has simply rejected information stating sec.8 1 (g) without justifying how providing the copy of patrol vehicles' log book can endanger the life or physical safety of any person or identity of the source of information or assistance given in confidence for the Police.  In absence of justification, a simple rejection of information stating exemption amounts to deliberate and malafide as per several CIC decisions.  Hence this first appeal seeking for justification of SPIO applying for such exemption, and expressing the opinion that the exemption applied by SPIO is not justified through any stretch of the imagination.

Prayer:  Appellant prays either for providing justification for applying such exemption or direct SPIO to provide the information free of cost as expeditiously as possible as a simple copy of logbook maintained as a public record cannot be treated as exempt.

Prasad Ji since no reply to my first appeal I have now filed Second Appeal.

But I have doubt is the maintainence of patrol vehicles, is something that is given in confidence to the police ? That is the registration number, insurance ..etc are exempt for being a government vehicle? 

Prasad GLN

Registration number is mandatory.  Insurance is not.

As you have filed the second appeal, let Commission say it is confidential information not to be shared.

Providing information prior to such visit may be confidential.

But providing it after the trip becomes an entry in a register and must be provided.

• Like 1