News Ticker
Shree Vathsan

Can a Judicial Magistrate report be sought under RTI?

Question

Shree Vathsan

https://www.ndtv.com/chennai-news/manikandan-chennai-cab-driver-who-set-himself-ablaze-after-tiff-with-policemen-dies-1805126

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-taxi-driver-who-attempted-suicide-dies/article22528842.ece

A Car driver committs suicide in public due to police harassment in January 2018 in Chennai . The cop who incited the suicide has been served a simple suspension and is already serving in some other department of the police. A judicial magistrate probe was ordered and the outcome of the probe is not made public. Can I seek the information on the final report of the judicial magistrate probe through RTI? Another qeustion whom does the judicial magistrate submit the report to? 

Meanwhile I have filed an RTI requesting for the service record book of the police official ThamaraiSelvan who is said to be the cause of abuse and death. If the information is denied citing pending case in court  can "larger  public interest"  be   used to obtain the service log?. Already a pending criminal case in another issue is said to be against the officer. 

In a strikingly similar incident another taxi driver commits suicide due to police harassment a week ago. Still now police are unable to find the culprit among 64 personnels within their own department. An enquiry underJoint Commisioner West has been ordered and she has submitted the report to the Police Commissioner yesterday. Can this report be obtained under RTI? Can "life and liberty"  clause be added to get the information sooner? 

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/010219/chennai-spl-police-team-to-probe-taxi-driver-suicide.html

Further instead of making the cops more public friendly, the senior cops have offered compensation of Rs 3 lakh and brokered peace in an attempt to dilute the investigation in both the cases. No relief has been ordered by the CM which makes one suspicious of the source of the money(bribe/black money/hawala  money).. etc. 

There has been a severe laxity in registering cases against police which makes them take undue advantage of their power and position in TamilNadu. 

3 answers to this question

Sunil Ahya

Please read the blog on the following link:

Shree Vathsan

I had requested for the service record book of the tainted police officer. The PIO has denied citing 8(1)(j) now can i go for first appeal and prove larger public interest

Sunil Ahya

If you are able to establish larger public interest, you most certainly can file a first appeal under section 19(1) of the RTI Act.

• Like 1