- NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
- shows RTI
- RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
- 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
- The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
- Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
- Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
By Priya De
An RTI applicant was surprised on being charged the Goods and Services tax (GST) and portal fee when he filed an RTI application. The application and appeal were made to the state government’s portal. Bhaskar Prabhu, the applicant was charged Rs 5 portal fee each time he made an appeal or application and 18 per cent GST.
“It is not credit or debit card charges. They are taking GST. RTI is a right and we pay Rs 10 as application fee besides other charges, against information provided by authorities. RTI is a right and not a service,” said Prabhu.
The Ministry of Finance after introduction of GST had stated “exempt supply of services by way of providing information under RTI”.
DNA - in its October 20, 2017 publication - had reported about Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) asking an applicant to pay 18 per cent GST. The report criticised by activists except for one information commissioner stating that it should not be levied.