krishnasatya

School transportation fee under RTI

Question

krishnasatya

Recently I came across that most of the schools are levying high transportation fee from the parents for short and long distances.

is there any school transportation fee regulation committee in A.P state?

Whom do the parents complain?

Can i seek any information under RTI to bring out the said issue into limelight.

Can i file PIL in the High court to direct the state government to appoint school transportation fee regulation committee to eradicate such illegal activities of educational institutions?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using RTI INDIA mobile app

4 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

1. You can seek such information from SPIO, DEO office as follows:

Application dt.8th Mar 2019 seeking information under RTI Act

Before: SPIO, District Educational officer,.........

Fee: Rs.10/- Adhesive court fee affixed here below.

Applicant;

Information solicited:

1)Please provide a copy of Government Order/Notification/directive on the collection of transportation charges by School from students from the parents for short and long distances.

Applicant.

2. Depending on such response you can contact any advocate on filing such writ mandamus for regulation such fee depending on distances or PIL.  Members are not competent to decide on the issue.

3.I personally feel that schools can not charge depending on distances as in every expenditure there is involvement of fixed and variable costs.

EX: Whether the distance is short or long school should acquire a vehicle, appoint a driver, maintain the vehicle and most of these costs are fixed and do not depend on distances traveled. Road taxes are the same irrespective of distance. Investment in capital cost.

The only fluctuating charges depending on distances is consumption of fuel/motor oil and it may not be a great component. Running costs.

• Like 1

krishnasatya
1. You can seek such information from SPIO, DEO office as follows: Application dt.8th Mar 2019 seeking information under RTI Act

Before: SPIO, District Educational officer,.........

Fee: Rs.10/- Adhesive court fee affixed here below.

Applicant;

Information solicited:

1)Please provide a copy of Government Order/Notification/directive on the collection of transportation charges by School from students from the parents for short and long distances.

Applicant.

2. Depending on such response you can contact any advocate on filing such writ mandamus for regulation such fee depending on distances or PIL.  Members are not competent to decide on the issue.

3.I personally feel that schools can not charge depending on distances as in every expenditure there is involvement of fixed and variable costs.

EX: Whether the distance is short or long school should acquire a vehicle, appoint a driver, maintain the vehicle and most of these costs are fixed and do not depend on distances traveled. Road taxes are the same irrespective of distance. Investment in capital cost.

The only fluctuating charges depending on distances is consumption of fuel/motor oil and it may not be a great component. Running costs.

krishnasatya

School name 'X' affiliated to CBSE board is collecting Rs. 9500/- for 9km distance for academic year. Another school 'Y' affiliated to CBSE board is collecting Rs. 18000/- for same distance, when the same was questioned to the school principal 'Y' she replied that they are paying more wages to experienced drivers and cleaners which is a funny answer..!
In this way schools are demanding more transportation fees from parents as there whim and wish.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using RTI INDIA mobile app

Prasad GLN

Members in the forum can only guide but cannot resolve, comment or criticize any issue without knowing full facts.  One can travel by bus, car, train or plane the same distance and fares may be different even in the same transportation.  Let the parents decide and act.  The most important thing we have learned from this forum is every parent's action against school authority is invariably reflecting in a reaction of school on student/children.