combat

RTI to know whether a person has a driving license or not!

Question

combat

Can i seek information under rti act 6(1) from RTO to know whether a person has a driving license or not?
In fact, I am the victim of a motor accident case, Hence I need to know whether the opponent has a valid driving license or not!

1 answer to this question

Prasad GLN

If you are a victim of the accident and if you have received a copy of FIR, you can file RTI Application to the police that registered the FIR and can seek a copy of the Driving license of that person that was involved in the accident.  You can also obtain a copy of such insurance certificate for the third party from Police.   These are the minimum documents to be verified by police for booking a complaint.  There were several instances wherein drivers provided a fake DL to escape the liability and insurance, hence you have to file another RTI Application to RTO and get a confirmation.  (but, it is not your own interest as you are bothered in receiving compensation.  Whether the driver is having the proper license or not is not a concern for you and it is the insurance that matters.  If the driver is not having valid DL, then insurance cannot be claimed and then you have to fight against an individual, which is not easy)