Question

Shree Vathsan

I had sought few details on cab driver Rajesh suicide due to police harassment with the O/o Commissioner of Police. However the CoP has transferred to JC West when only point no. 2 is related with JC office.

Until now the police personnel responsible for instigating the suicide has not been found. Further the JC report has not been made public.

While the suicide(done at Maraimalai Nagar railway track) case was registered by railway police and case is closed as suicide. But only CSR has been registered in the place of occurance of police abuse(Anna Nagar).

Can details of police personnel on duty at the AnnaNagar police station on the date of occurrence of the incident be sought under RTI?

For further details on the incident pls read here https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/chennai-cab-driver-alleges-harassment-cops-video-kills-himself-protests-ensue-96006

spacer.pngspacer.png

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

5 answers to this question

Shree Vathsan

Copy of RTI sent and reply recievedPSX_20190416_143201.jpegPSX_20190416_143615.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

Prasad GLN

Please focus on information alone, and ignore such transfer of application.  Wait upto 30-4-2019 and file first appeal to FAA immediately.  Before all this, consider as to how you wanted to find out a logical end with this information.

• Like 1

Shree Vathsan

With reference to the above, I have received reply from JC office on 11.05.2019. The reply relates to point no. 2 alone. Due to the delay in receiving reply I had already filed first appeal.

Though the RTI had sought a copy of the enquiry report given, the JC has reitrated that the investigation is under progress and Only one report sought by SHRC had been given. But I had sought the copy of the completed report only. Without calling me for clarification the JC has replied. 

It is to be noted that though the Joint Commissioner has enquired and submitted the report to Commissioner of Police for submission to SHRC,  Commissioner of Police has not yet submitted the report to SHRC

Now what are the options available for me? 

1. Continue to Second Appeal.

2. File a fresh RTI with CoP enclosing the JC Reply and get a copy of the report and correspondences made from the commissioner to JC, DSP etc. 

JC Report.jpg

Prasad GLN
Posted (edited)

File Addendum to first appeal as you have not received FAA orders.  State the grounds as incomplete information and atleast  PIO should provide such certified copy as solicited in No.1 query as it was admitted that investigation is under progress.  Even after 14 years, it is still painful to note that an authority like Chennai Police, are not aware of basics in RTI Act, as there was no RTI designation and  further appeal procedures as mandated under RTI Act. 

As I understand from JC that  Investigation is in progress and final report not prepared.  Mere suo motu cognizance certificate was filed before NHRC.  PIO cannot provide information without the completion of the report.

Keep the matter pending for the present.

If you are sure that JC has reported to CP and then to NHRC, you can file RTI Application and can seek such details from either CP or NHRC.

Information solicited:

1)Please provide me the copy of the report submitted by Joint commissioner to Commissioner, which was submitted to NHRC in connection with the death of cab driver Rajesh on 25-02-19

Edited by Prasad GLN
  • Thanks 1

Shree Vathsan
On 5/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, Prasad GLN said:

File Addendum to first appeal as you have not received FAA orders.  State the grounds as incomplete information and atleast  PIO should provide such certified copy as solicited in No.1 query as it was admitted that investigation is under progress.  Even after 14 years, it is still painful to note that an authority like Chennai Police, are not aware of basics in RTI Act, as there was no RTI designation and  further appeal procedures as mandated under RTI Act. 

As I understand from JC that  Investigation is in progress and final report not prepared.  Mere suo motu cognizance certificate was filed before NHRC.  PIO cannot provide information without the completion of the report.

Keep the matter pending for the present.

If you are sure that JC has reported to CP and then to NHRC, you can file RTI Application and can seek such details from either CP or NHRC.

Information solicited:

1)Please provide me the copy of the report submitted by Joint commissioner to Commissioner, which was submitted to NHRC in connection with the death of cab driver Rajesh on 25-02-19

One Police Officer recently called me and asked why I am asking that particular information. Such is their knowledge of the process. 

Anyway the JC has replied that she has given report on notice issued by SHRC. The SHRC has replied that they have not received any response to their notice even as mandated 4 weeks has passed.. So the report is kept on hold at the Commissioner Office.