News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
jhaamit

"Why" in RTI query

Question

jhaamit

I have filed an RTI query for the transfer of PF amount.

One of the questions was:

Why is the CLAIM ID APHYD************ still under process

The response to it is:

Regarding the information sought with prefix "why", the applicant is informed that the definition of information cannot include within its fold answers to the question "why" which would same thing as asking the reason for justification of a particular thing. The Public information Authorities cannot expect to communicate to the citizen why a certain thing was done or not done in the sense of a justification because the citizen makes a requisition about information. Justifications are matter within the domain of adjudicating authorities and cannot properly be classified as information as per the judgment of Hon'ble High Court of Bombay in W.P No.419 of 2007.

Is this response correct?

3 answers to this question

Sunil Ahya

Please find attached herewith the CIC decision wherein it had ruled as follows:

Simply because the appellant has prefixed his query with why and what does not debar him for receiving information, which is admittedly a part of the record held by the respondent.

prefixing of why & what doesnt debar applicant from receiving info..pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Prasad GLN

The PIO is quoting very old Judgment.  It was held in CIC decisions that if the information is available on record in material form it has to be provided, as RTI Act never stipulated any form of seeking information.

For example:  Who is Prime Minister of india   is interrogative form

Please provide the name of the Prime Minister of India is a simple sentence.

If PIO has in his records material form naming such PM, he can not reject the information on grounds that it is interrogative.

PIO can only deny information as per exemptions stated in Sec.8 or Sec.9 of RTI Act.

Either you can file simple RTI to same PIO or go for first appeal so that you can educate Public Authority PF who is not still knowing fundamentals even after 14 years after RTI came into force .

Simple form:

1.Please inform the reasons for delay in transfer of PF from.................to.................

2.Please inform time frame fixed under citizen charter for making such transfers.

3.Inform the name of the employee, and his supervisor, designations, mobile numbers and full address that are purposefully delaying transfer and neglecting their duties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jhaamit

Thanks @Sunil Ahya The way the response is highlighted is very helpful along with the whole judgement in pdf attached in this post

Thanks @Prasad GLN . Both the sentences are same and convey the same meaning. May be my language was little aggressive in RTI.

These people just don't want to do any work and hence such excuses.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• dominiiic
      By dominiiic
      I had applied for correction in PAN Data Last year. I didn't get any response. In Income tax website it was showing that the status of the application is "under procces". I didnt kwow the exact status of my application and the customer service people are also not giving the reason for delay. So once again i applied in Dec. Now also i didnt receive the New card and the status of the application is "under procces".
      Now what step should i take? Wait for some more time or can i apply for RTI? If so where i can do it? Currently i am staying in Bangalore.
    • karira
      By karira
      ‘AWWA is welfare body, not under RTI’

Chandigarh, June 25: CAN an NGO, Army Wives Welfare Organisation (AWWA), have an office adjacent to the office of GOC-in-C Western Command in the high security zone of Western Command Headquarter? Can serving officers be attached or employed with AWWA?
      These and some other questions were asked under the RTI Act from the Western Command authorities but the latter refused to entertain the query. It replied, “AWWA, being an NGO and a welfare organisation, does not fall within the purview of the RTI Act.”

Guneet Chaudhary, lawyer, vide an application to Public Information Officer (PIO) Western Command sought information regarding the Army’s association with AWWA, an NGO constituted with the aim of welfare of wives and children of Army officers and jawans as well as rehabilitation of war widows.

The applicant, while seeking information, relied upon the report of Comptroller and Auditor General of India which pointed out an unauthorised expenditure of Rs 75 crore by spouses of Air force and Army chiefs who are presidents of AWWA and AFWWA. The report also indicted the Army for irregularities in hiring of light vehicles and their misuse for AWWA.

Chaudhary specifically sought information regarding the legal status of AWWA, source of funding, serving officers/other ranks deployed on AWWA duties, provisions under which AWWA is using Army building/infrastructure in top security zones, details of rent, if any, paid by AWWA to the Army, details of welfare activities undertaken by AWWA, details of amount spent on travelling and other facilities provided to AWWA president Western Command, AWWA’s annual audited balance sheets, list of war widows who have been given grants by AWWA, etc.

Surprisingly, the PIO, through letter dated June 18, 2007, told the applicant that since AWWA is a welfare organisation and an NGO, it is not a public authority and also not within the purview of the RTI Act.
      However, the definition of Public Authority as provided under Section 2h(d) of the RTI Act includes an NGO substantially financed, directly or indirectly by funds provided by the government. Since AWWA got the initial corpus from the Ministry of Defence and is funded from different heads like canteen profits and various grants of the Ministry of Defence earmarked for the welfare of defence personnel, it’s very much a Public Authority under the RTI Act.

As per the applicant, the reply forwarded by the Public Information Officer amounts to deliberate denial of information and as such makes the officer liable for penal action under the RTI Act.
      Chaudhary is now planning to approach the appellant authority in the matter. He said, “The Army has a negative attitude towards complying with the provisions of the RTI Act 2005. The PIO appointed at various Army locations are naïve.”

‘AWWA is welfare body, not under RTI’

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy