News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
subbu23

CCTV Maintenance First Appeal

Question

subbu23
Posted (edited)

RTI Application 1

Filed RTI seeking information on cctv footage at  4 police stations for a specific date and time 10 am to 11 am. Also enclosed copy of TNSIC judgement statng that police should maintain cctv data till the end of Second Appeal Hearing. I filed RTI within the 15 day time limit of CCTv storage. Most of the CCTV systems are not functioning properly at police stations.Henceforth I filed this RTI

PIO reply:  Applicant  did not  mention the exact time he visited the police station.Application lacks clarity.Moreover CCTV data preserved for 20 days only.Information Denied

Pls suggest Grounds of Appeal

RTI Application 2: RTI filed regarding maintenance of CCTV at police stations.  

Name of the technical concern that received report about malfunctioning of CCTV camera’s at   police stations, date of installation, the specific dates on which CCTV failed to function, the dates on which the repairs were made, and the days in which CCTV functioned properly ,copy of letter addressed to higher officials/Maintenance company complaining about malfunctioning of CCTV camera’s, copies of all letters made for follow up to keep the CCTVs functioning, circular/directive/order/notification that states about maintenance of CCTV cameras and trouble shooting exercises, follow up etc.Name of the contractor that installed such malfunctioning CCTV and the cost charged by him,provide copy of the bill/expenses disclosing the costs incurred for CCTV repair and present status.

Inspector of Police from Technical Wing of Police has replied as follows

1. For all your queries,  we would like to inform you that cctv are maintained as per the orders of head office.Further your queries are not raised in public interest, Information denied as per section 8(1) J, 8(1) h, 8(1) g

Edited by subbu23

8 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

Mr.Subbu,

You are yourself an expert and need no guidance but reported only for giving opportunity to learn from your experience.

Please educate Second PIO that full CIC bench ruled that denying information that there is no larger public interest was never stated as exemption in Sec. 8 (1) of RTI Act.

You can also search in google or in our forum as there were many decisions by CIC for providing such CCTV footage.

Go for first appeal enclosing such decision.

In case of first RTI, seek laid down norm stating the process of deleting the data and entries required for deleting that footage.

• Like 1

subbu23

Thanks Sir

Sunil Ahya

Most of PIOs deny information by just quoting sub-sections of section 8.1 of RTI Act, without giving meaningful justification for arriving at that reason for denial. This is against letter and spirit of RTI Act. I quote decisions of CIC and judgments, which can be quoted in first and second appeals.

Please refer to the blog on the following link and prepare the grounds of your first appeal:

http://jps50.blogspot.com/2014/06/justification-for-reasons-for-denial.html

• Like 1

Shree Vathsan
Posted (edited)

In Most of the police stations in Chennai CCTV is not properly functioning. In some police stations only those Cameras which are pointed towards the entrance of the police station function. The one inside the police station where police illegally beat accused persons is purposefully switched off. 

Further I asked CCTV footage of particular station in RTI 2 days prior to receiving my application from 2 pm to 6 pm. However information has been denied stating that the information has been sought in a random manner and is  not specific. 

The station house officer is incharge of maintaining the CCTV footage and copy can be requested from him.

While few PIOs have denied information citing not  under 2(f) a few has come up with information sought  for the same RTI. 

Edited by Shree Vathsan

Prasad GLN

Please share that information given by few, so that Mr.Subbu can quote such information and demand for such information.  

subbu23

Sir,

PIO  is asking me to provide time of visit to police station. I did not visit police station for the requested time period in my application seeking CCTV footage. Police interefrenece in civil disputes, lock up death, sand mafia etc are reasons for police not repairing cctv cameras at stations

Prasad GLN

If the post is long and if full details are not posted, it become hard to decide.  The clear issue is as to whether you have quoted any dates.  If you have quoted dates, your presence is not needed.

CCTV cameras purpose is for larger public interest only and it is not internal administrative measure for police station.

subbu23

Sir,

Apologies for not providing details

RTI Appplication

Information Solicited:

[1] Please provide me the CCTV entire available data footage data between 10 a.m to 11.a.m as on June 03, 2019 for all the installations at B4 Police Station, Town South, Town East ,AWPS and Town West Police Station,Nagapattinam.Please provide entire data in electronic form.

Quoted the excerpts form TNSIC Decision " if you PIO denies CCTV footage, CCTV footage has to preserved till the end of SA hearing" TNSIC SA 637/A/2018 & TNSIC and SA 8543/A/2017

TNSIC  in a different case requesting CCTV footage at  police stations,earlier ordered that if the Appellant (myself) requested for CCTV data, it should be provided SA 8543/A/2017

Note:

1.If you deny the CCTV footage data for this application, please do not delete the CCTV footage data until the decision of State Information Commission /High Court Decision

• Like 2