News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
jhaamit

RTI on my recruitment status in ONGC Petro additions Limited (OPaL)

Question

jhaamit

Hi Team,

I had filed an RTI application to ONGC Petro additions Limited (OPaL).

The content of my RTI application is as follows:

Subject: Request for Information under Right to Information Act, 2005 

I, ________ have applied in ONGC Petro additions Limited (OPaL). My information is as follows:

Application ID:- __________
Function: Information Technology
Level: Assistant Manager
Area: Security
Application date: Dec 2017
Advertisement released in the month of: Dec 2017

I want information as follows:

1. Status of my application
2. Date the result was announced
3. Reason for rejection of my application
4. Mode of announcement of results - SMS, email, public notice
5. Link in the website where results are published

The reply received is as follows:

This is with reference to the above RTI request, received by ONGC Petro additions Limited (OPaL), asking to provide certain information related to Recruitment of Asst. Manager — IT Security Post.

OPaL would like to address the same in the following manner:

a)      The subject information sought to be disclosed is confidential information of OPaL, the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest;

b)     OPaL is a non-PSU company and does not come under the purview of definition of Public Authority as defined under the RTI Act, 2005. Hence, no public purpose is involved in the subject information.

In view of aforesaid primary grounds, OPaL may not be able to provide subject information to the RTI applicant.

Is the reply correct? Or should I go for FAA?

Thanks & regards,

Amit Jha

4 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

As per response, it appears that  the organisation is not a public authority.  So, if you have got evidence that it can be treated as a public authority just go for direct complaint to CIC.

If you have remitted such application fees seek same information under CP Act as consumer and quote the amount paid by you as consideration of fees and seek same information.  You have to issue a Notice under CP Act making some slight modifications like.

1.The complainant has paid Rs....fees for applying to the post.

2.The ...............authority failed to provide following information inspite of repeated requests.

3.As not providing relevant information after receiving fees amounts to deficiency of service, this notice demanding for informing the status as requested in Para No.2 within 15 days from date of receipt of , failing which the complainant has to file a complaint before consumer forum for proper remedy of seeking refund, compensation for harassment, costs of litigation etc.

Any organisation that collected fees as consideration must inform facts/information as applicant in the case is a consumer.

Wait for  a month and if you fail to receive information  then file a complaint before District Consumer Forum.  You need not incur more than Rs.100/- if you appear as party in person

You can continue both these above steps which involve no costs.

Finally remember that your correspondence with proposed employer can never bring any favourable results.

Sunil Ahya

Can you inform the forum as to who has signed the letter by putting in what designation i.e. in which capacity.

That is to ask, whether the signatory has signed as a Public Information Officer (PIO)?

jhaamit

@Prasad GLN

1. ONGC Petro additions Limited (OPaL), a multi billion joint venture company was incorporated in 2006, as a Public Limited Company under the companies Act, 1956, promoted by Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and co-promoted by GAIL and GSPC.
    Reference: https://www.opalindia.in/aboutus.php
  2. I have not paid any application fees
  3. It's been 2 years, now I am not looking to join OPaL. I wanted to file RTI as the job application was lying there for long with me and I wanted to get an update about it. This experience will help me in future.

jhaamit

@Sunil AhyaHere is the snapshot of the pdf that is attached to the reply in RTI online

CPIO.png