Jump to content
Atul Patankar

Two govt officials fined for ‘filling in the blanks’

Recommended Posts

Atul Patankar

As reported at www.hindustantimes.com on 20 May 2009

 

You want information, right?

 

So you exercise your democratic due and file an application under the Right to Information (RTI).

 

And then your question is swallowed by the blank spaces of government registers.

 

Two Labour Department officers were pulled up by the Central Information Commission (CIC) for precisely one such disappearing act.

 

Mohammad Farruddin, a trade union leader, had sought information from the Labour Department.

 

When Farruddin did not get the answer to his query, he approached the CIC, the body constituted to address complaints regarding the RTI.

 

CIC officials went through the dispatch registers of the office and found the information had been marked as sent.

 

But Farruddin had clearly not received any information. Where then was the answer?

 

The solution to this puzzle lay in 13 lines which the CIC officials found left blank in another register.

 

It was then CIC connected the dots and realised the officials in-charge had been leaving space for backdated entries in the register. “The findings reveal a systematically designed process to ensure backdating of documents,” said Shailesh Gandhi, CIC commissioner. "Such a practice evidences intentional dishonesty on the part of the concerned public officials," said Gandhi, in an order last week.

 

Farruddin had filed an appeal with the Labour department's appellate authority, which asked the public information officers V.S. Arya and Suhash Chandra, to provide the information.

 

Farruddin checked with the local post office about mail from the department after the officials told him the information had been sent.

 

He filed a second appeal with the CIC, which issued a notice to the department's information officers.

 

Farruddin then received only part of the information sought. Gandhi then decided to conduct an inquiry and made the shocking findings.

 

“The commission had the opportunity to peruse only some pages of one register from 2007-08 and even within that limited time, it came across thirteen blank lines. It is likely this insidious practice must not be restricted to just one register,” Gandhi observed in his order.

 

The CIC imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on each of the two officials and asked the Delhi chief secretary to initiate disciplinary action against them and recover the fine immediately.

 

Many RTI activists have complained to CIC of not receiving information, despite information officers' claims that they were sent. “In most cases, one has to collect information personally as dispatches from government offices don't reach," said RTI activist S.C. Aggarwal

 

Source: Two govt officials fined for ?filling in the blanks?- Hindustan Times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Atul Patankar

Here is a case where CIC Shailesh Gandhi has actually imposed fine and recommended disciplinary action against PIO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digitalit

This is routine job for most of Public Authority in Maharashtra state. After 30 days of mandated time

First Appeal is made the PA replies that they have

send a letter within 30 days for paying information charges.

But actually no any letter is received by appellant. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • momita
      By momita
      Palande, convicted by the Bombay High Court last year for the double murders of two men in 1998, is currently lodged in Taloja central jail in Navi Mumbai. He is facing trial for three other murders, one allegedly committed in an Andheri flat of Delhi resident Arunkumar Tikku, one of a film producer, Karankumar Kakkad, and another of an unidentified person.
      While he was lodged in Thane central jail in 2017, Palande had filed an application under RTI on April 20, seeking the “egress and ingress recording of CCTV footage of the Kala Pani yard/main gate’s inside area” between 2 pm and 5 pm of the same day. Palande had claimed in his appeal before the First Appellate Authority, the superintendent of the jail, that an undertrial was given “VVIP facility” by being provided emergency police escort from Thane jail to the Thane civil hospital. He claimed that the undertrial was then taken to JJ hospital by the police escort and was subsequently taken in a private vehicle for a birthday party celebration and returned to the jail only the next day.
      After Palande’s RTI did not get a response, he filed an appeal before the PIO on May 22, 2017. When he still did not get a response, he filed an appeal before the SIC on September 21, 2017. Palande had written on his application that “I am withdrawing the RTI in duress as told by senior jailors”.
      The commission said it was not satisfied with the response given by the jail authorities and directed that a penalty be paid in monthly installments.
    • momita
      By momita
      The Konkan bench of Maharashtra State Information Commission has imposed a penalty of Rs 25,000 on the public information officer (PIO) of Thane central jail for “pressuring” a murder undertrial, Vijay Palande, to withdraw an application filed by him
      Palande, convicted by the Bombay High Court last year for the double murders of two men in 1998, is currently lodged in Taloja central jail in Navi Mumbai. He is facing trial for three other murders, one allegedly committed in an Andheri flat of Delhi resident Arunkumar Tikku, one of a film producer, Karankumar Kakkad, and another of an unidentified person.
      While he was lodged in Thane central jail in 2017, Palande had filed an application under RTI on April 20, seeking the “egress and ingress recording of CCTV footage of the Kala Pani yard/main gate’s inside area” between 2 pm and 5 pm of the same day. Palande had claimed in his appeal before the First Appellate Authority, the superintendent of the jail, that an undertrial was given “VVIP facility” by being provided emergency police escort from Thane jail to the Thane civil hospital. He claimed that the undertrial was then taken to JJ hospital by the police escort and was subsequently taken in a private vehicle for a birthday party celebration and returned to the jail only the next day.
      After Palande’s RTI did not get a response, he filed an appeal before the PIO on May 22, 2017. When he still did not get a response, he filed an appeal before the SIC on September 21, 2017. Palande had written on his application that “I am withdrawing the RTI in duress as told by senior jailors”.
      The commission said it was not satisfied with the response given by the jail authorities and directed that a penalty be paid in monthly installments.

      View full entry

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy