News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
ganpat1956

NGO institutes national award for RTI activists

ganpat1956

New Delhi (PTI) In an effort to boost the Right to Information Act, a non-government organisation has decided to honour individuals and activists who had shown exemplary commitment to the act from this year onwards.

"Beginning this year,the 'National RTI Award' will be given to those who have displayed exemplary commitment to the RTI," said Arvind Kejriwal, Magsaysay award winner who heads the 'Public Cause Research Foundation'.

Mr. Kejriwal said the award which will be given away annually, carries a citation, plaque and prize money of Rs 2 lakhs will be distributed sometime in October for this year.

Apart from the award, at least a dozen citations would also be awarded to the Information Commissioners and Public Information Officers, Mr. Kejriwal said.

It may be noted that Information Commissioners of the Central Information Commission have decided not to receive any awards from private groups for their discharge of duties.

Mr. Kejriwal said a jury of eminent personalities including actor and film maker Aamir Khan, Fali S Nariman, Constitution expert and senior advocate and J M Lyngdoh, former Chief Election Commissioner will decide on the winners.

"People can visit "rtiawards.org" to get more information on the award," he said adding that the last date for filing nominations is 30th June 2009.

Source: The Hindu News Update Service

• Like 1

Shrawan

Seems like a good initiative. I am sure any winner of this award would be part of our portal, is it not!

ganpat1956

I too wish the same.

sngupta

Appreciable step.

karira

This is not by NDTV but by a NGO

Merging this thread with the original thread on the same subject

R Madhok

In an effort to boost the Right to Information Act, a non-government organisation has decided to honour individuals and activists who had shown exemplary commitment to the act from this year onwards.

Dear friends,

I am excited to know that a NGO has decided to honour individuals and activists who had shown exemplary commitment to RTI act. I shall honour the decision made by the judges but I request to the judges to provide more importance to the RTI activists who have unearthed the matters on National Security through RTI. I congratulate to our member who will surely achieve this prestigious award in advance as I am sure that one of our members will certainly be the receipient of the award. Secondly I am sure that if a well off person got the honour he will donate the sum received by the NGO for the upliftment of downtrodden as in Punjab The Health Minister Prof Lakshmi Kanta Chawla used to do who has only three white sarees and in jewellery a cotton robe tied on her hand.

Rajneesh Madhok,

B-xxx/63, Nehru Nagar, St. No. 2,

Railway Road,

Phagwara-144401 (Pb)

advocate rajesh

can this forum i.e RTI india ,start such an award?

vinay_goyalgg

Hello All,

NDTV is going to organize RTI awards very soon. There are 3 categories of awards

1) Best RTI citizen

2) Best PIO

3) Best Information commissioner

Prize is Rs 2 lacs.

More information on rti.ndtv.com

Community members, please guide us, whom to vote? We can nominate for the first category from our community also. May be Mr. Karira, Dr. Pathak.

Vinay

prabha.hl

no doubt Mr. Karira will be our choice for the first category

chanda_s

kushal for president. my vote.

ganpat1956

I always adopt Sec. 49-O in this portal for reasons that are well known to a few of the seniors here :mad:

chanda_s

when do i become senior enough to know?

wagh7

It is very good initiatives taken.

Nvdpgill

Thats great

ganpat1956
when do i become senior enough to know?

You are a senior to me here and you know (it) very well.

chanda_s
You are a senior to me here and you know (it) very well.

your pm helped me recollect the entire episode.

no wonder you decide section 49 (o) is your best recourse.

but yes, we do have our own awards scheme here on rtiindia.org. with a community base that crossed 50,000, our awards are no less prestegious. more importantly, people can see with their own eyes what our awardees have achieved. all that is required is to go through the thousands of threads that ooze information and knowledge gained by experience.

jaipuriar

Dear Friends

I am writing this mail to inform you about the National RTI Awards to be given this year. National RTI Awards will be given every year beginning from 2009. The Awards will try to find out and felicitate those persons, who have shown exemplary commitments towards RTI Act, 2005. The awards will be given in three different categories- Best Information Commissioner, Best Public Information Officer, and Award in Citizen's Category. All Information Commissioners are automatic nominees for the award, but the nominations for other two categories are now open. The last date of nominations is 30th June 2009. You can visit RTI awards' website National RTI Awards | Welcome for more details. You can also call RTI awards Helpline 09711222577 or send email to rtiawards@pcrf.in.

Despite the power of RTI to transform Indian democracy, RTI Act faces stiff opposition from many sections of the government, particularly the bureaucracy. For example many Officers are not performing satisfactorily. Some Information Commissioners, who are the final adjudicating authority under the Act, are perceived to be sympathetic to bureaucrats. But there are many among the bureaucrats who are committed to transparency and honesty. They go over and beyond the call of duty to implement the RTI Act in letter and spirit.

The intent of National RTI is to honour and recognise the best among these officers and commissioners. We hope that by recognising their contribution they can serve as role models for the bureaucratic community as a whole and encourage others to follow in their footsteps and strive to emulate their achievements. The awards will also serve as an opportunity to gather valuable data about the performance of a large number of PIOs and Information Commissioners across the country. This data can go a long way in identifying shortcomings in the current system of RTI and suggesting possible reforms.

Beginning from this year, National RTI Awards will be given in three different Categories- Best Information Commissioner, Best Public Information Officer and Citizens Award. The awards will be given sometimes in November 2009. A National Level dignitary will be the chief guest for the RTI Awards Ceremony. The RTI Awards Ceremony will take place in Delhi in the month of November 2009. Final date and venue of the ceremony will be announced later.

All Information Commissioners from all Information Commissions, who have been appointed prior to December 2008 and have been officiating as Information Commissioner during the calender Year 2008 are self nominees for Best Information Commissioner Category. Nominations are open for the Best Public Information Officer and for Award for Citizens category. Nominations can be filed by 30th June 2009.

In these two categories for nomination- nominations can be filed by the self or you can also nominate any other person as well. On-line nominations can be made on the website National RTI Awards | Welcome before last date of nomination. But the supporting documents for on-line nominations can be sent through post to RTI awards Secretariat, Public Cause Research Foundation, A-119 (First Floor), Kaushambi, Ghaziabad- 201010 before 7th July 2009. Forms for nomination in these categories can also be downloaded from the website National RTI Awards | Welcome and fully filled forms along with supporting documents can be sent to reach the above address by 30th June 2009.

If you have been using the RTI Act and your applications or efforts have made any public impact, then I request you to please nominate yourself for this award. You can also nominate other persons, who have shown exemplary commitment towards RTI Act. If you also know any Public Information Officer, who has done commendable job in implementing RTI Act, you can also nominate them.

Please circulate this mail to other members of your group so that more and more people can know about the awards.

Warmly

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar

self_nomination_by_citizen.pdf

self_nomination_pio.pdf

citizen_nominates_a_citizen.pdf

citizen_nominates_a_pio.pdf

SomeGuy

The move to honor Citizens and PIOs is laudable.

I am leery of the idea of awards to Information Commissioners. It seems against the principle of judicial restraint. It is also liable to result in a situation where every PIO/FAA is able to accuse the IC in question of being biased against them and on the side of the Applicants/Activists/"Professional middlemen"/"RTI misusers" - both in IC hearings, as well as in court. There is good reason why there are no awards for "best High Court/Supreme Court" judge.

Perhaps we can have awards on lines of the Ignoble prize, or the Razzies (no live links; so google it please) for most atrocious IC decision, least performing Commissioner, etc. An award for most creative dodge by PIO/FAA could also be instituted. ;-)

regards,

SomeGuy

PS: Discussing actual nominations for the awards suggested by me here would probably transgress forum rules.

sandeepbaheti
I am leery of the idea of awards to Information Commissioners. It seems against the principle of judicial restraint.

In one of their meetings, all ICs in the CIC have agreed that none of them will accept any such award. The newly framed Code of Ethics of CIC also does not permit accepting such awards.

jaipuriar

Dear Friends

I am sorry for replying back to this thread so late. I would like to clarify a couple of issues here.

National RTI Awards is an initiative to acknowledge commendable contribution of all stake holders in implementation of the RTI Act. As there are three major group of stake holders- viz information commissioners, POIs and information seekers, it was an obvious choice to give away the awards in these three categories.

Now I come to the method of selection of best in all these three categories-

As I already said in my last mail, all Information Commissioners are automatic nominees for the awards, we are not asking for filing of their nominations. As of now, for the awards to be given in year 2009, the assessment year is calender year 2008. We have obtained all orders passed by each information commissioner from all across the country in calender year 2008. A team of volunteers are analysing these orders based on certain parameters- which also include the opportunity of hearing to the parties before deciding the matter, allowing or disallowing disclosure of information, penalty notices and hearing for the same, imposition of penalty (if any) and its recovery, number of cases disposed during the said period, the reasons given in the order, and off course- implemetnation of the order.

After analysing the orders, we are also making efforts to verify whether the orders of the Commissioners were implemented or not. The only way to check this is to contact the information seekers, who have filed such appeals/ complaints before the Commission. So, we are sending letters to all information seekers (we got their addresses from the orders or directly from respective commissions) to verify the implementation of the orders. The feedback received from information seekers, also become an integral part of the analysis of the orders of the Information Commissioners. Such a feed back is very important to analyse the performance of the Information Commissioners. If you receive such a feedback form, please do fill it and send it back to us. A self addresses envelop is also enclosed with each feedback form. Feedback can also emailed to rtiawards@pcrf.in. But don’t forget to mention the feedback form number in all your communication so that we can easily connect it to correct order.

Further, there is a link on RTI awards website National RTI Awards | Welcome where you can share your experiences with the Information Commissioner. These experiences will also become a part of the analysis of the Information Commissioners.

When the analysis will be complete, all such documents will be handed over to the Jury, who will decide, based on the analysis of orders, feedback received and your experiences, Best Information Commissioner. Every detail with respect to such a selection will also be placed on the website National RTI Awards | Welcome prior to giving away the awards.

On the method of selection of the best PIO, once we receive nominations, and all relevant papers, physical verification will also be conducted. Here again, the assessment year is calender year 2008. Details of the PIOs will be considered if he has officiated as PIO in the calender year 2008 (for any number of days) and disposed of RTI applications filed during such tenure. All such report will also placed on the website and the jury will decide Best PIO based on such reports.

For the Citizens' Category awards, the nominations received by us and supporting documents thereof will be assessed and the assessment results will be placed before the Jury for selection.

The jury members for selecting the best in all these categories consist of- (in alphabetical order) Mr Aamir Khan (Actor and Film Maker), Mr Fali S Nariman (Indian Constitution Expert and Senior Advocate), Mr J M Lyngdoh (Former Chief Election Commissioner of India), Mr Justice J S Verma (Former Chief Justice of India and Former Chairman, National Human Rights Commission), Ms Madhu Trehan (Media Personality and Author), Ms Mallika Sarabhai (Kuchipudi and Bharatnatyam Dancer and Social Activist), Mr Narayana Murthy (Chief mentor, Infosys), Mr Prannoy Roy (Chairman NDTV), Mr Pullela Gopichand (Ace badminton Player and National Badminton Coach), Mr Sanjay Gupta (Editor and CEO, Dainik Jagran Group) and Ms Santosh (Grass-root RTI Activist).

PCRF (RTI Awards Secretariat) will make every stage of such selections very transparent. Every finding will be placed on the website of the awards in due course of time. The "National RTI Awards" is an attempt to acknowledge those, who have done commendable job in their respective field. I appreciate the comments of the members of this group that some of Information Commissioners are not doing their job well. But at the same time, there are some other Information Commissioners, who are implementing the RTI Act in its true spirit. Their contributions are very seldom discussed on these groups. Similarly there are Public Information Officers, who are committed to implementing the Act completely and acting as per the provisions of the Act. RTI Awards attempts to acknowledge them.

I wish to get your support for the RTI Awards.

Warmly

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar

karira

Mr Divya Jyoti,

It seems you are posting a general message which was meant for several message boards/groups.

In none of the 22 posts in this thread has any poster said a single thing about Information Commissioners not doing their jobs well. Nor has anyone commented on PIO's who do or do not implement the RTI Act in letter and spirit. One poster only questioned the justification of giving awards to IC's.

This forum is largely unmoderated and allows active discussion on such matters but with evidence and proof and without taking personal names - not some wild allegations which are unsubstantiated or posted by persons with a personal vendetta or a personal agenda.

I wish you all the best for your awards.

But be sure, that each of the persons bestowed with the awards your NGO/NDTV presents, will discussed and analysed threadbare on this portal - including the decisions of the winning Information Commissioner, the PIO and the Citizen. Just like our members do everyday, in different threads.

Being the most active forum on RTI in India, you can be rest assured that there will be someone on this portal, who would have had personal experience with the Information Commissioner and the PIO being awarded and he/she will share the experience here - positive or negative.

dillip kumar mohapatra

it is a good step towards the RTI activist

sidmis

>> National RTI Awards is an initiative to acknowledge commendable contribution of all stake holders in implementation of the RTI Act. As there are three major group of stake holders- viz information commissioners, POIs and information seekers, it was an obvious choice to give away the awards in these three categories.

I think there are certain important stake holders whose contributions also needs to be highlighted.

1. Judiciary (for clearing the confusion and bringing RTI back to right course) :)
  2. Public Authorities (for creating a conducive atmoshphere for information dissemination, there could be some PAs who deserve it)
  3. Media :cool:
  4. The GoI and it's officials (for whatever they have done to the RTI) :o

If it is not too late, then the PCRF may consider the above.

Sidmis

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy