News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
akshay_k72

Question Related To Indian Postal Order

akshay_k72

Hi,

I am a newbie here and this is my first post. My passport has got delayed and I have decided to file an RTI application. The application is ready with me and I will be sending the same through Speed Post AD.

The application will be sent along IPO of Rs. 10.00 in favour of "Regional Passport Officer, Delhi" (or should I leave it blank?). Do I need to affix any postage stamp on the IPO? Also do I need to cross the IPO the same way as we cross the cheque? I have never used an IPO before hence these queries. Will be grateful if some one can reply.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Ketan Modi

Dear Akshay,

Just go to the Head Post Office of your area and purchase the IPO of Rs.10=00. Then put down your name and address in the sender's column on the mid-right. Thereafter go the office of the Deputy/Assistant PRO with three copies of your application and hand it over to that desk. The postal officer shall acknowledge one copy and forward the same to the S/CPIO Concerned under registered a/d. You don't have to pay for the transfer u/s 6(3). Happy information seeking

If you like to know more about Indian Postal Orders then visit sister website here:

http://www.nationalconcerns.com/blog/1/entry-10-what-is-indian-postal-order/

Ketan Modi

jps50

I am not sure if post office is authorised in case of RTI applns to RPO. If they do not accept appln best way is to make Postal Order payable to "Accounts Officer, Regional Passport Office, Delhi" and payable at Delhi and mail it by speed post with RTI appln. U may cross postal order by drawing two parallel lines on left hand top corner. No postal stamp be affixed on postal order. Post office will charge U Rs.11 for a postal order of Rs.10/-. Post office clerk will guide U.

Pl visit http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/64-how-file-rti-application-delay-passport.html

akshay_k72

Yes i will prefer to send by speed post. Kindly let me know do i need to affix any postage stamp on the ipo and should i cross it? Also how many copies of application should i send?

ambrish.p

Dear Akshay

1. No need to affix stamp on IPO.

2. If U wish U can cross IPO.

3. RTI application with fee (IPO of Rs.10) in one copy. Dont forget to keep a copy of RTI application & IPO for your reference.

Do keep us posted/updated.

regards

• Like 1

akshay_k72

Thanks Ambrish.

One more query. In whose favour should I issue the IPO? Or should I leave it blank...

ambrish.p

Dear Akshay

In favour of "Accounts Officer, Regional Passport Office, Delhi"

regards

akshay_k72

Thank you all. Will keep this post updated.

akshay_k72

Ok here's an update.

The RTI application (sent by Speed Post AD) was received by the passport office on 6th of this month. The online status is now showing that passport no. (no. is mentioned) has been allotted and passport preparation is underway.

I guess I should be getting the passport within a week's time. In that case, will the CPIO reply to my RTI application? I am asking this because my passport has been delayed and someone should be held accountable.

Awaiting responses. :)

karira

[quote name=akshay_k72;70131

I guess I should be getting the passport within a week's time. In that case' date=' will the CPIO reply to my RTI application? I am asking this because my passport has been delayed and someone should be held accountable.

:)[/quote]

Absolutely correct.

Your RTI application was filed precisely for this reason - to hold the Government and its instrumentalities, accountable to those whom they govern.

This is exactly what the preamble to the RTI Act states.

• Like 2

akshay_k72

I have finally received my passport :) The reply to RTI application is yet to be received though.

ambrish.p

Dear Akshay

Congratulations on your first success with RTI !

regards

Moved to Success Stories

indulkarshailu
Dear Akshay,

Just go to the Head Post Office of your area and purchase the IPO of Rs.10=00. Then put down your name and address in the sender's column on the mid-right. Thereafter go the office of the Deputy/Assistant PRO with three copies of your application and hand it over to that desk. The postal officer shall acknowledge one copy and forward the same to the S/CPIO Concerned under registered a/d. You don't have to pay for the transfer u/s 6(3). Happy information seeking

Ketan Modi

So the expense is just Rs ten?

No expense of Register a/d? how? No other expense?

No postage expense?

ManyThanks,

• Like 1

Ketan Modi
I am not sure if post office is authorised in case of RTI applns to RPO. If they do not accept appln best way is to make Postal Order payable to "Accounts Officer, Regional Passport Office, Delhi" and payable at Delhi and mail it by speed post with RTI appln. U may cross postal order by drawing two parallel lines on left hand top corner. No postal stamp be affixed on postal order. Post office will charge U Rs.11 for a postal order of Rs.10/-. Post office clerk will guide U.

Pl visit http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/64-how-file-rti-application-delay-passport.html

This is a misconception. Head Post offices are empowered by the Postal Department to receive application u/s 6(1) on behalf of the CPIOs and transfer the same to the concerned officer/CPIO on your behalf u/s 6(3). You need three copies of the application/1st appeal/2nd Appeal, of which one copy is acknowledged and returned to the applicant. One copy goes to the CPIO/FAA/SAA and the third copy is retained by the Deputy/Assistant PRO of the Head Post Office concerned. Use this easier route where delivery is assured and you application is also acknowledged. You only have to pay one rupee more for the Postal Order of Rs.10=00. I have been using this route for the past few years and have been successful. You also dont have to pay the postage charges as the Post Office sends the applications/1st appeals/2nd appeal through Registered Post. Happy information seeking to all.

Ketan Modi