bahl_ajay

SAI employee seeks information, lands in hospital

bahl_ajay

As reported by Biswajyoti Brahma of TNN in Times of India,New Delhi 08 July 2009.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Daily/skins/TOINEW/navigator.asp?Daily=CAP&showST=true&login=default&pub=TOI

PAYING A PRICE?

SAI employee seeks information, lands in hospital

A little over a month after he exercised his right to information to unearth ‘wrongdoings’ at his work place, a Sports Authority of India (SAI) official is left fearing for his life after an attack on him in Patiala on Monday night.

On 26th May, SAI medical officer Sajib Nandi made 244 enquiries through an 18-page application to SAI’s principal information officer, SS Chhabra, who’s also the secretary of the organisation. Nandi’s letter sought information on different administrative aspects of the SAI ranging from appointment of staff to existing vigilance cases against senior officials.

“I had gone to SAI office on Monday for some work. Later in the evening while I was coming back to my residence, somebody hit me on my head with a hard object. I could not see the attacker as the area was not well lighted, though street lights were there. I lost consciousness and some colleagues took me to hospital,” he told TOI on Tuesday from a hospital in Patiala, the city where he’s based.

“I have suffered cuts on my eye orbits and on the nose. I have informed the police who are investigating the matter,” said Nandi, who’s on leave without pay after he decided not to comply with orders and go to Bangalore on transfer. He alleged that he was transferred about four years back for raising his voice against corruption in SAI.Nandi said his application seeking information under the Right to Information Act could have upset some “vested interests” in the organisation. “People know little about what’s going on in SAI. If the information is given, several corrupt officials could land in trouble. These people are trying to harass me.”

Nandi said authorities are yet to respond to his TRI application even after more than a month. “I sent it to the Delhi office and they sent it to different SAI centres for necessary action. But I am yet to receive any information.”

Senior SAI officials including the director general as well as Chhabra could not be reached for comments. Allegations of corruption is nothing new for SAI which gets crores of rupees from the government to spend on sports-related projects.

Pc0281400.jpg

An injured Sajib Nandi in Patiala

Atul Patankar

As reported at indopia.in on July 9,2009

Ranawat terms SAI officer's allegations as "baseless" Patiala, July 9 (PTI) Executive Director of NIS, Patiala, L S Ranawat has termed as"baseless"allegations levelled by Dr Sajib Kumar Nandi, Junior Scientific Officer, sports medicine, SAI, who had charged that some senior officials of the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports were behind a recent attack on him.

"The charges (levelled by Nandi) are baseless,"Ranawat told PTI today. Nandi had on Tuesday lodged a complaint at Division Number 2 police station against an unidentified miscreant who allegedly attacked him here on Monday night and claimed that few senior officials of NSNIS were behind the incident. According to Nandi, an unidentified person had attacked him on his head from behind while he was on way to his residence at Partap Colony after which he fell unconscious. He was later taken to local Rajindra Hospital with the help of a security guard who found him lying unconscious. Sources said that Nandi had earlier filed an application under the provision of the Right to Information Act seeking detailed information on various issues including those related to appointment of an assistant director presently posted at SAI NSNIS, Patiala. Nandi had also alleged that the official designated to provide information under the RTI Act had"omitted"certain facts with the intention of"shielding senior officials"of the sports institute.

Sajib Nandi

1. I moved an application dt. 23rd July 2008 under the Right to Information Act 2005 at the Sports Authority of India

2. Following an order from First Appellate Authority, Sports Authority of India, APIO supplied me with a list of “the officers and other staff who stayed in the Guest House and Hostels after their transfer to NIS Patiala during the period”.

3. Those who occupied the Guest House after transfer was not been included in the list.

4. I submitted another application to Information Officer, Sports Authority of India, New Delhi seeking various information under the RTI Act 2005. I am not in a position to give further details about this application at this stage.

Sajib Nandi

Tough editing, mutilated my original post which was based on facts only.

Members must be permitted to present their side of story against news articles reported in the forum.

Is it asking for too much?

Feels like I am battered once again.

ganpat1956

Your post has been moderated in tune with this portal's policies which are more fully elaborated under Forum Rules. We have chosen to function only within certain parameters(which are also listed under forum rules) beyond whic we do not intend stepping out. Sufficient care has been taken to ensure that the RTI content of your post remains intact.

Sajib Nandi

Thanks Ganpat1956.

Being in tune with "Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.", I'd like to present the edited Post 3 (above) as follows:

3. In the list supplied to me, the APIO did not include the name of his local controlling officer who stayed in the Guest House after transfer.

Hope its okay with forum rules.

Regards.

ganpat1956

Thanks for the understanding, Doctor. Get well soon.

Sajib Nandi

Thanks ganpat1956, I am much obliged.

bahl_ajay

Dear Sajib,

Good job done, get well soon.

Sajib Nandi

Thanks Ajay

• Similar Content

• aparna
      By aparna
      As I can see from the Act the principal aim of the act seems to motivate people and encouraging them to have information about the working of the system to see that it works efficiently.

But it is said that poverty alleviation is also the aim of this act. I cannot forsee how that can be achieved?

Any views?
    • nirmalbiswas
      By nirmalbiswas
      I beleive in this last 50 years or even more after we have got our independence this is the first time that our Government has sincerely thought of nailing the corrupt officials and has brought this ACT. No doubt the corrupt officials and people in power on the other hand are thinking out ways and means as to how to dilute this act so as not to pass the information regarding the wrong things they do or might do. One of this was not to give information regarding what ever has been dealt on corresponding side before an order has been passed. I beleive we all Government officers who are non corrupt, have nothing to fear from this act and should whole heartedly support this act and make it more stronger.

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy