News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
sidmis

Delhi High Court PIO issued Penalty Notice

sidmis

Delhi High Court PIO issued Penalty Notice

Admiting a complaint case (Complaint No. CIC/WB/C/2007/00445 dated 19.08.2007) by Ms. Shruti Singh Chauhan the Hon. CIC Mr. Wajahat Habibullah has issued notice to the PIO of Delhi High Court for imposition of penalty u/s 20(1).

The complainant submitted her application on 23.05.2007. But she did not received any information within the stipulated time.

"The Commission has decided to admit Ms. Chauhan’s complaint petition u/s 18 (1) © of the said act and hereby directs the PIO, High Court of Delhi to respond to the request for information to complainant Ms. Shruti Singh Chauhan within 15 working days from the date of receipt of this decision."

"The PIO is further directed to show cause as to why a penalty of Rs.250/- per day from the date when the information fell due i.e. 23.06.2007 to the date when the information is actually supplied, not exceeding Rs.25, 000/- should not be imposed on him under Section 20(1) of the RTI Act. The PIO will make his submission in writing to us on or before 11.02.2008."

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/Decision_27012008_01.pdf

Sidharth

sidmis

However there are two anomalies found in this decision.

1. Typo : "Announced on 27.1.’08. Notice of this decision is given free to cost to the parties."

Incidentally 27.01.2008 was a Sunday.

:mad:

2. The Delhi High Court prescribes a Penalty structure, which is different from the RTI Act, 2005.

"8. Penalties-(i) Whoever being bound to supplying information fails to furnish the information asked for under the Act within the time specified or fails to communicate the rejection order by notification shall be liable to pay penalty upto 50 Rupees per day for the delayed period beyond 30 days subject to maximum of 500 Rupees per application filed under rule 3, as may be determined by the appellate authority."

Let's see how this decision stands upto the High Court's Scrutiny.

Sidharth

• Like 1

sidmis

Typo : "Announced on 27.1.’08. Notice of this decision is given free to cost to the parties."

There is no typographical error in the date.

As per information received from CIC, The complaint was decided and announced on 27.1.'08(Sunday) itself.

Sidmis

maneesh

I just wonder now CIC has started working on Sunday as well !!

taurus

It is really amazing to see how far the institutions are reluctant to part with even as innocuous an information as appointment to class III and IV employees. It is also amazing to see that they have a committee to scrutinize all RTI applications!!!!!!

karira
It is really amazing to see how far the institutions are reluctant to part with even as innocuous an information as appointment to class III and IV employees. It is also amazing to see that they have a committee to scrutinize all RTI applications!!!!!!

India is a land of committees !

• Similar Content

• nk agarwal
      By nk agarwal
      In one of my recent 2nd Appeal, IC of a SIC imposed a "token" penalty of Rs 2500/-on PIO admitting a delay of more than 100 days; the IC was well aware of different judgements on Penalty by Hon'b'e Apex court and High Courts wherein it is clearly made out that the ICs have to take a decision on   either  penalty or no penalty  but, cannot change the prescribed the rate of penalty. 
      IS THIS NOT MAKING A JOKE OUT OF RTI ACT-2005 by SIC
      What is the solution before the Appellant now?
    • nk agarwal
      By nk agarwal
      State Information Commission ordered Penalty of Rs 15,000/- on PIO in the year 2009 with directions to PA for deductions.
      To my surprise, on enquiry from SIC office it is learnt that no penalty has been paid but, the PIO has submitted a letter of compliance.
      On repeatedly pursuing with SIC, I have been informed that perhaps, the PIO has filed an appeal with High Court and obtained stay order etc.
      My query is that - (1) Can the PIO/PA file an appeal/ challenge the SIC order without making the appellant a party in the appeal before the HC?
      (2) Can the PIO/PA file a compliance report to SIC and at the same time challenge its order in HC?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy