puneet.bansal

Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

Question

puneet.bansal

Hi,

I sent a letter under RTI to IT deptt. and the fee was paid thru IPOs. The PIO in his reply has asked for PAN number for making payment credit to central govt. account.

Is it mandatory to quote the PAN number for fee paid for RTI application???

14 answers to this question

sunaabhsarkar

Hi Puneet,

I had filed two RTI applications with GNIDA, Greater Noida. I paid the RTI fees with the Bankers of GNIDA and had to submit the original challans of the payments made... nothing more...

I don't think it is mandatory to provide your PAN details... does the PIO wants us to believe that one has to be an income tax payer to be eligible to file RTI applications? I guess he is buying time and just trying to deviate the issue...

Sunaabh

Shrawan

That is indeed a new thing heard :(

puneet.bansal

how should I proceed... In first reply he said, information could not be shared as this is personal information... when replied back with orders of CIC that information can be shared, He shared only information that no returns has been filed by her. and all other informations asked are not available within office. He has not forwarded the application to correct PIO who can share that information.

also He mentioned the above fact to quote the PAN number..

Now what should be next course of action ???

Regards

Puneet

wagh7

PAN Details are not necessary to file RTI Application.

rakatkam

snkmoorthy

PAN number is quoted for financial transactions; it is never needed anywhere else; IT officer demanding the PAN number from the rti applicant is unheard of; he is only buying time ; i think a complaint to the CIC should be the next step

sunaabhsarkar
Hi,

I sent a letter under RTI to IT deptt. and the fee was paid thru IPOs. The PIO in his reply has asked for PAN number for making payment credit to central govt. account.

Is it mandatory to quote the PAN number for fee paid for RTI application???

After I had filed the RTI applications, around the time the hearings started, I started getting telephonic calls from various quarters, for eg a software company asking me if the software I was using for word processor was licensed or not.... so much so that I started feeling that the incident was too much to be a coincident. Though I have nothing to prove that the calls may have a link to the person or the PA/ PIO referred to in the RTI applications, from the timings of the calls, I still believe they originated from there.

So in your case the the official asking for your PAN details may have a larger agenda in his mind to trouble you in the near future, so be careful about what you share. Remember one thing, if your inquiry may become a uncomfortable for another person, that person may not take everything lying, he may also be scheming on the sly to make you feel uncomfortable. As it has been rightly said by Moorthyji, you must now approach the CIC

Sunaabh

karira

PAN number is to be quoted in certain financial transactions as specified by the Income Tax department, from time to time.

In each such transaction, the maximum amount is clearly defined, exceeding which requires PAN information (for example cash transactions above 50,000 etc..)

If you application fee is below that limit, no need for the PIO to ask for PAN data.

I suggest that you write a letter to the PIO and aks him to clearly inform you as to under what powers vested in him is he asking for PAN information.

Ask for relevant certified copies of rules and regulations that empower the PIO to ask for this.

Ask for reasons under Section 4(1)(d) as to why he is asking you for PAN details.

hkdubey

NO SECTION in the RTI Act mentions PAN No. is necessary for information. Any citizen can ask a querry he may not be tax Assessee.

I request you to ask the PIO "let him clarify under which section of the act the he requires Pan No.". Or else you can appeal to 1st appellate after 30 days for denial of information.

wehelp

This is new a thing indeed the PIO is try to buy some time with unnecessary reasons where come the necessity of furnish the PAN number occur where the amount involved is just RS 10/- PAN number are quoted in such transactions where the amount involved is equal to or more than 50 thousands.

sunaabhsarkar
NO SECTION in the RTI Act mentions PAN No. is necessary for information. Any citizen can ask a querry he may not be tax Assessee.

I request you to ask the PIO "let him clarify under which section of the act the he requires Pan No.". Or else you can appeal to 1st appellate after 30 days for denial of information.

This is new a thing indeed the PIO is try to buy some time with unnecessary reasons where come the necessity of furnish the PAN number occur where the amount involved is just RS 10/- PAN number are quoted in such transactions where the amount involved is equal to or more than 50 thousands.

PAN No. should not be a necessary criteria for providing Information except if it is required as a document to prove citizenship of India. But then there are other documents such as driving license, voters I card, Passport etc etc which may be made use of in case the PIO needs proof of citizenship. The PIO however cannot insist only one particular document for the purpose of ID proof or citizenship.

And, as Kariraji has written earlier in the thread, the PIO may be asked under what powers or clauses of the RTI act it necessary to insist on PAN No. for the purpose of giving information

hkdubey
PAN No. should not be a necessary criteria for providing Information except if it is required as a document to prove citizenship of India. But then there are other documents such as driving license, voters I card, Passport etc etc which may be made use of in case the PIO needs proof of citizenship. The PIO however cannot insist only one particular document for the purpose of ID proof or citizenship.

And, as Kariraji has written earlier in the thread, the PIO may be asked under what powers or clauses of the RTI act it necessary to insist on PAN No. for the purpose of giving information

Yes A PIO can ask a document in favour citizenship of India it is very well a Voter Id card or Driving Licence or Passportor a Pan card. Any particular document cannot be sought. Any one document the citzen have is sufficient.

sunaabhsarkar

... In the original query, the PIO has asked for this information from the applicant so that payment could be credited to the Central Govt A/c whcich in this case is not to establish the citizenship of the Information seeker but, as has been discussed earlier, seems only to be a ploy of the PIO to buy some more time to reply or simply to deviate, delay or an attempt to derail the RTI procedure...

hkdubey

Now we have learnt PIO are trying to delay, What should be the remedy?? There must be a change in the law. I think it is better to go for an appeal on the ground of rejection.

sunaabhsarkar
Now we have learnt PIO are trying to delay, What should be the remedy?? There must be a change in the law. I think it is better to go for an appeal on the ground of rejection.

Actually if one has the will to answer a query, he/she can do it in a jiffy unless bogged down with red tapism or nonperformance. If the Babu in question is not from the 'la creme de la creme' tribe, one can expect quick decisions and punishments. The Bigshot PIOs and APIOs [especially the IAS cadre] are rarely brought to book even if reported to the CICs as I have learnt from my experience.

A person whom I know closely is a PIO of his dept. has the audacity to turn back an information seeker by asking him to go ahead and try his luck appealing his case with the CIC and then come back later for the information he seeks and, all this with the document, a copy of which the applicant had saught right on his table. Its been almost a year, the PIO is unscathed or unrepentant.

As I have learnt the hard way at UPSIS, even a filmsy reply which is not even distantly connected to the issue can save the skin [ read day] of the PIO. When a PIO who was almost cornered into giving information and appearing before the SIC a similar filmsy reply saved his skin.

The PIO was spared not only for not complying with the SIC's order by repeatedly not appearing before the SIC, but, he was also given a breather taking cognizance of the faulty reply... the SIC reasoned with me that correct or incorrect or faulty, the PIO has indeed replied and hence he deserves a chance to clarify why he is giving a such reply.... The SIC simply issued yet another notice to the PIO to answer along with the standard threats of punishment and thus the PIO gets to live life on unscathed and superbly remunerated by the taxpayers money. In the same court however, I've seen lesser souls who were appointed PIOs or APIOs awarded harshest possible punishments.

As long as double standards rule, SICs, CICs judgements I'm afraid, I still see red in situations like this.