sidmis

CIC Decisions in Open Source

sidmis

CIC Decisions in Open Source

Mr. Prasant Iyengar has painstakingly compiled all the decisions of CIC in into an easily searchable format. So the decisions can be viewed and searcheable on your Desktop.

This month's DIGIT magazine also carries this program.

For more info, read below.

Sidharth

User's descretion is a must before downloading any content from the Net and installing the same on your pc. At least check for Viruses.:eek:

========================================

OpenJudis - Central Information Commission

by Prashant Iyengar Oct 23, 2007

Dear All,

As some of you may know, over the past year I've been running a free

website of Indian Supreme Court Judgments at

OpenJudis - Free Supreme Court case repository

I've recently diverted my attentions to the decisions of the Central

Information Commission and I'm glad to report that I've just finished

programming a database/search engine of CIC Decisions that you can

download and install on your hard drive for free (Windows Only).

The installation file can be downloaded at

http://judis.openarchive.in/CIC.exe (17Mb approx/10-15mins on 256kbs

connection)

The database contains full texts of over 5000 RTI decisions and is

fully searchable.

Screenshot available here : http://judis.openarchive.in/openjudisrti.jpg

Note that I haven't yet made this database available online and it is

only available in its offline form.

Hope this will be of use to Information activists in India.

Look forward to receiving feedback on this.

Regards,

Prashant

Ps. You may also download the Supreme Court version of OpenJudis

(including about 23000 full texts of the Supreme Court) at

http://www.nlshare.nl/files/details/4353/openjudissetup.exe . (330 Mb)

For this you will also need to separately download and install Swish-e

for windows :http://www.swish-e.org/distribution/swish-e-2.4.5-win32.exe

(4.5 Mb)

Nabble - Commons-law - OpenJudis - Central Information Commission

• Like 4

wagh7

sidmis ji,

You are doing a great job. Thanks to you and your efforts.

hats off to you sir,

rakatkam.

prashants

Hello,

I have just finished programming an update for the above mentioned software. The new version can be downloaded at

http://judis.openarchive.in/CICMarch2008.exe

It contains the full texts of over 7500 CIC decisions - fully searchable. Fully free.

Hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Prashant

• Like 3

dannyboy

I've used Prashant's great work a lot in the past. Just wondered if he's updated it. It would be great.

• Similar Content

• rohitab
      By rohitab
      The High Court has struck down CIC order that file noting by one officer meant for the next officer with whom he may be in a hierarchical relationship, is in the nature of a fiduciary entrustment, it should not ordinarily be disclosed and surely not without any concurrence of the officer preparing that note.
      High Court ruled that "Any noting made in the official records of the Government/public authority is information belonging to the concerned Government/public authority. The question whether the information relates to a third party is to be determined by the nature of the information and not its source."
      The reasoning, that the notings or information generated by an employee during the course of his employment is his information and thus has to be treated as relating to a third party, was considered flawed. 
      Court further stated that "Section 8 of the Act provides for exemption from disclosure of certain information and none of the provisions of Section 8 provides for a blanket exemption that entitles the respondent to withhold all notings on a file." 
      CIC has earlier made the decision on the basis that when the file noting by one officer meant for the next officer with whom he may be in a hierarchical relationship, is in the nature of a fiduciary entrustment, it should not ordinarily be disclosed and surely not without any concurrence of the officer preparing that note. The file noting for a confidential and secret part would attract the provisions of Section 8(1)(e) as well as Section 11(1) of the RTI Act. 
      The contention of the CIC was struck down and the court directed CIC to take the decision within 3 months. Earlier, however, Central Information Commission (CIC) in their Decision No. ICPB/A-1/CIC/2006 dt.31.01.2006, has held that “file notings are not, as a matter of law, exempt from disclosure”.

Usefulness of the High Court Order
      The above decision is highly relevant for users who are filing RTI to know the Status of their earlier RTI. RTI Applicant can now use following questions in their RTI application
      Complete details of file notings made on the above said file number as on date.  Separately the daily progress made in case of above said file till date i.e. when did it reach which officer/functionary, how long did it stay with that officer/functionary and what did that officer/functionary, do during that period on the said letter together with file noting and name and designation of each officer/functionary  List of the officers with their designation to whom before the said file is placed. Also, provide me with the noting made by them on the said file. 
    • agarwalas
      By agarwalas
      I am looking for a database that will make available all the decisions of CIC and State CIC's. In case of CIC all the decisions have been posted at its website. This information is not available for the decisions of State CIC's. Any suggestions to get this information!!!

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy