Shrawan

RTI help resolve Property tax after running pillar to post despite court ruiling

How RTI Act came to his rescue Karthik Subramanian

A resident has resolved his property tax row "I was made to run from pillar to post despite a court ruling in my favour. Ultimately it was RTI that helped me."

CHENNAI : A residents' welfare activist from Pattabiram has used the Right to Information Act (RTI) to settle a 15-year-long dispute with the Avadi Municipality over property tax assessment.

Augustine Roy Rozario, a resident of Cholan Nagar in Pattabiram, said he had disputed the municipality's assessment of his annual rental value and subsequently the half-yearly property tax in 1989.

"The officials had fixed the tax twice as much as that for other similar houses nearby. I had submitted a revision petition within 30 days of the assessment and subsequently filed petitions at the Tax Appeal Committee meetings. They never revised my tax and ultimately issued a notice in 1992 saying that my property would be attached if I did not pay dues, as calculated by them."

Mr.Rozario moved the Poonamallee court in 1992, which ultimately gave an order in his favour in 2004. The court ordered that the assessment done by Avadi Municipality was arbitrary. The municipal officers, however, decided to challenge the order as it was granted ex-parte. With no legal action in the last two years, Mr.Rozario decided to seek information under the RTI about the reasons for the delay in re-assessment of his property to settle the issue.

"Not an easy task"

Even though it was the questions he filed under the RTI that finally helped Mr. Rozario resolve the tax dispute, he said the procedures he went through were not easy.

"It was not easy to file the application, as I had to obtain the treasury challan from the Chennai Collectorate, get the head of accounts from the general-secretary of the Thandurai-Pattabiram Consumer Protection Council, remit Rs.10 in cash at the State Bank of India, Treasury Branch, in Thousand Lights, and finally send the application by registered post."

Mr.Rozario was shocked when his application was returned because of a spelling mistake in the name of the Principal Information Officer.

"I had spelt the name as Varadarajan instead of Varadarajulu. However, the officer was courteous and kind enough to accept the application when he personally explained and handed over the representation."

Though the Municipal Administration Department had forwarded the RTI application to Avadi Municipality, Mr.Rozario did not get a reply within the stipulated 30 days. He then sent an appeal under Section 19(1) of RTI to the Appellate Authority.

Finally, the revenue officials of Avadi Municipality visited Mr.Rozario's residence in December and he was able to get the property reassessed.

The full article can be read here: How RTI Act came to his rescue « Right2Information

This is not just another success story. It is a two decade-long battle of a resident over arbitrary assessment, that has now ended thanks only to the RTI Act.

Besides, there is another sub-story, that has been reported. In yet another blatant irregularity, the Avadi Municipality has refused to instantly acknowledge the cheque received from Rozario, after the amicable settlement of the tax dispute. " I issued a cheque for Rs. 8454 two weeks ago in favour of the Avadi Municipality. The civic body is mandated to issue a receipt for this, but they have informed me that it will be given after Pongal "(the Tamil festival that falls on Jan.15), Rozario alleged.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Popular Contributors

• Files

• Blog Entries

• Similar Content

• By smt indira pandey
      my forefather had a property nearby jabalpur city(M.P.)my mother paid tax before last 10 years,after my mother's death i could not search or found that property bcoz i have no related papers.last week i heard from someone that one unauthorised man tried to sale this property by fales affidavit . what action i take pl. suggest ?
    • By sunil sri
      dear all

i asked for the name of software relating to language but i was denied on the ground of it covered under ipr.

please help me
    • By karira
      Plea for info on public servants' assets rejected

On June 22, the Central Information Commission (CIC) rejected an appeal from an Right To Information (RTI) activist in Mumbai that sought information on assets and liabilities of certain officers of the Customs and Central Excise departments. Information Commissioner A N Tiwari rejected the appeal on the ground that it would violate the privacy of an individual.

Rajesh Darak of Whistleblowers India had sought information on the assets and liabilities submitted by officers to the Customs department annually. However, it was denied by the Central Public Information officer and the appellate authority at Mumbai. Subsequently, Darak had appealed against the orders in the CIC.

"Without this information, the citizen would never know if assets and liabilities of certain government officers are beyond their known source of income," said Darak. Interestingly, there are conflicting views among the State Information Commissions (SIC) as some of the states allow their citizens to access information related to assets and liabilities of government officers.

RTI Activist Pramod Patil from Mumbai said, "This information is in public interest and hence should be made public. In Maharashtra, the information is available with the Establishment department, although I have not come across any case of citizens either being given information," said Patil.

Vikram Simha, an RTI activist from Bangalore, says that floodgates have opened ever since the SIC allowed disclosure of assets of government servants in 2006 and in a parallel development the SIC also allowed an appeal seeking information on assets of government officers. "We are in the process of inspecting assets files of 6,500 employees of the Commercial Tax department. So far, we have inspected 90 files and come across discrepancies like several of the queries in the forms are unanswered," said Simha.

Lamenting the decision of the CIC, Arvind Kejriwal, an RTI activist from the Delhi, said "I would rate this as a very regressive order. The fact that public servants are indulging in corruption merits public interest. Commissioner Tiwari has rejected the appeal as his own assets and liability would have to be made public."

"The issue here is whether this information could be given to Parliament or the Assembly. If it cannot be denied to Parliament, then it cannot be denied to the citizens," said Bhaskar Prabhu, a Mumbai-based RTI activist.

"As per the RTI Act, the citizen is the king. If information regarding assets are not given, then the citizens would not be empowered," he added.

However, there are those, like noted activist Shailesh Gandhi of Mumbai, who do not believe in this view. "There is a conflict between an individual's privacy and general need. I do think some privacy is required. Whether an individual's private matters should be made public, is a debatable issue," said Gandhi.
      Jugal Rathi from Pune said: "Assets and liabilities of an individual is private information and the constitution protects the privacy of the individual. As per the RTI Act, if the public interest exceeds the privacy of individual, exceptions are made and information is provided under Section 8 of the Act. It cannot be a general rule; it has to be decided case to case."

Plea for info on public servants' assets rejected - Yahoo! India News
    • By karira
      Lokayukta wants property buyers vigilant

By Team Mangalorean
      Photographs: RK Bhat
      MANGALORE, August 16, 2007: The Lokayukta of Karnataka N. Santhosh Hegde has called on the buyers of the property to make extensive use of the Right to Information act (RTI) to keep their investment in land and apartments secure from unscrupulous practices that the builders usually involve in.

Taking part in an interactive session on the theme 'The National Building Code and Mangalore city' organised by the Kanara Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) on Thursday he said, the people should induce legislations like `title insurance and quality insurance' to protect themselves in the deceptive market of land and apartments.

During his talk Mr. Hegde said dwelling units were the most important for the common people who invest their lifetime savings and the unscrupulous builders and developers cannot be allowed to take them for a ride. All the housing areas should be so developed that there would be no compromise on quality and safety and every buyer, builder, promoter and the licencing authority should be honest about their project right from the conception stage.

He cautioned that usually the greedy builders put all the stake holders into trouble and they should be controlled legally if they do not abide by the approved plan. The approved plan by the licencing authority could be got under the RTI he added. The National Building Code (NBC) has to be seriously adhered scrupulously while making zoning norms and while amending the Comprehensive Development Plans in all the cities and though the building laws are done in accordance with the state policies the NBC regulations will have to be followed at all times, he asserted.

Mr. Hegde told that the NBC has been drafted with an eye for the future developmental designs and planners should take into the account the recommendations of the NBC if they are going to construct buildings for the future. He said planning of a city that does not allow even the emergency vehicles to ply without obstruction was no planning at all.

Since the introduction of the Right to Information act and the transparency act, the buyers and other stake holders were able to seek and get information on every aspect of the building and these legal facilities should be made use by everybody who wishes to buy property he appealed.

Later answering queries of the media and press persons Mr. Hegde told that there are number of buildings in Mangalore and about 600-700 buildings and Multi story complexes in Bangalore that have violated the rules and regularising them would be a crime.

Mr. Hegde during his interaction said it was necessary to make the builder accountable for his actions and every official in the licencing authority should be held responsible for not keeping up with the rules when issuing licences.

Earlier, President of the KCCI John Prasad Menezes presented a memorandum to the Lokayukta and vice president Kumble Narsimha Prabhu introduced Mr. Hegde.

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!
    • By sonisoni
      Hi guys,
      I need your help ..My husbands` have 2 brother and one sister.Sister is elder and married. . husband is 3rd child of family. My father-in-law purchased a property and named it to my elder brother-in-law and died. Now my elder brother-in-law wants all property and my younger brother also with him. both they wants us to leave house. i have register court case against them. they are trying to show that they had purchased property. All neighbors are agianst them ..they are ready to speak in court against my brother-n laws.Now i need your help .is there any chance to win this Court Case?
    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      02/21/2018 03:26 AM

Newest Member
    শাহ্‌ মোঃ বোরহান
    Joined 04/21/2018 09:41 PM

Our Moderators

karira karira Super Moderator
ganpat1956 ganpat1956 Super Moderator
RAVEENA_O RAVEENA_O Super Moderator
ambrish.p ambrish.p Moderators
Sunil Ahya Sunil Ahya Moderators
jps50 jps50 Moderators

About Us

RTI INDIA established in the year 2006, attracts a broad audience of citizens, experts, professionals and Government Officers interested in the latest development in the field of Right to Information. We also boast an active community focused on helping citizens to File RTI, First Appeal and Second Appeals. Our download section contains many sample RTI forms for everybody to use.

Social Links

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy