Atul Patankar

Living people declared dead in Uttar Pradesh, reveals RTI

Atul Patankar

As reported at topnews.in on October 22, 2009

One man's Right to Information (RTI) application has led to the Uttar Pradesh land consolidation department admitting Thursday that living people were declared dead in its records due to irregularities. The matter came to light when Lal Bihari, a man who had been declared dead, sought the records through the RTI Act.

"I was declared dead in the records and all my land was grabbed by the influential people of my village using forged documents," Bihari, a native of Hardoi district, said here.

"After making numerous efforts to prove myself alive, I decided to file an RTI application to expose the scam."

However, Bihari was provided details of only 20 such 'dead' people.

"I had asked for the details of all such living 'dead' people in the state, but the department only provided me the details of 20 people in 10 districts," Bihari said.

"There are thousands of such cases across the state and the department has just completed its formality by providing me the details of only 10 districts," Bihari claimed.

Ashok Chandra, deputy director of the Chakbandi department told IANS: "We have provided Bihari with the details of Unnao, Hardoi,Lucknow, Azamgarh, Muzaffarnagar, Siddharthanagar, Kannauj, Barabanki, Faizabad and Rampur districts.

"There may be more such cases and we are looking into the matter."(IANS)

Source: Living people declared dead in Uttar Pradesh, reveals RTI | Top News

dillip kumar mohapatra

thanks for information

• Similar Content

• bombaygirl
      By bombaygirl
      It seems Maharashtra is outdated in everything. Including giving information. A friend has unsucessfully been trying to obtain copies of land records and papers that belonged to his late grandfather. The grandfather died when my friend was a minor and his father did nothing to transfer the papers to his name.

Now the problem is that those taluka (Shirur) and the village (Kauthe) in Pune jurisdiction officials are refusing to hand over those papers giving various excuses. Whenever my friend goes there, they do a disappearing act and despite the collector Mr. Deshmukh's intervention they are not shelling out those papers.

Does the Maharashtra government want to grab the land? or what is it? How should we go about getting those original papers, so that my friend can legally transfer it in his name.

PLEASE HELP!
    • edmar
      By edmar
      I am trying to get information regarding the existance of a mamooli rasta that has been in use by the locals for the last 30 years or so but have been given the run around between one dept and another in the city corporation office.
      The reason is some influential political figures have interest in seeing that it is not provided.

A visit to the ADLR office evoked a reply that this information is not in the public domain.

A visit to the Town Planning Office evoked a reply that such information cannot be provided to the public.

Does this information come from the Office of the Deputy Commissioner (in whose premises the ADLR office is situated) or from the City Corporation( where the Town Planning Office is).

Can I get some information on this please

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy